• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT-465 in a daily driver?

hdmax

At just 134 HP the truck should be an older 3/4 ton, or 1 ton crew cab long bed as the weigh much less than the newer one, so the lack of power would not be as noticeable. However if a pickup chassis is used you would probably need to go with a 4x2 or use a double stacked frame to allow room for the oil pan, even with a 4x2 there may not be enough room above the front end cross members. I would think that a 1 ton crew cab long bed pickup with 4.10:1 axle ratio, and a 5 speed overdrive manual transmission with 33" tires should get 22-26 MPG, but mileage shouldn't be an issue if running free or near free fuel.
It would be way cool to have a pickup truck that ran on used motor oil.

ODw/envy

Propane would make all the difference.

We are talking rat rod, so a custom tube frame would be perfect up front. No hood! I like the radiator in the rear and maybe an after-market turbo or none at all.

Don't forget they may only have 130 hp but 330 ft/lbs of torque will move anything.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea if it would work, but I can imagine one in an old 3/4T Suburban. With the long wheel base and long body, you should be able to fit the drive train to the chassis then fit the body over it.

Thinking about it, I think the MF is found where it should be: in tractors and old slow trucks with gears to make it functional.

Our personal transportation has higher speed requirements and makes the MF somewhat unsuitable. I think a future project for me is to utilize the Chevy 6.5L turbo diesel for use in a unique military vehicle, like the M715.

Rick

197thhhc

We have measured out a 97 4 door 1 ton chevy pickup. The engine will fit in the engine bay but the radiator and condensor have to be relocated to the bed. We are planning on dropping the chevy truck body onto the deuce frame and going fron there. when we start we will post pics.

Flyingvan911

You could beef up a Miata and put it between the seats. You'd get a very fast car with lots of weight to hold it down on the road. :beer: It would be a cool sounding car with the c turbo.

I think a step van would be a good platform.

TexAndy

We have measured out a 97 4 door 1 ton chevy pickup. The engine will fit in the engine bay but the radiator and condensor have to be relocated to the bed. We are planning on dropping the chevy truck body onto the deuce frame and going fron there. when we start we will post pics.

whoa, now that sounds interesting.

Can't wait to see it!

Trango

I don't know why you guys are so crazy about the LDT, which (before fuel screw work) makes all of 134 HP, 300-something ftlbs, all in a massive 478 cu-in package that weighs three quarters of a ton, is somewhere around 50 inches long, and despite being detuned to the point of truly being "grunt proof" is nonetheless prone to self-aeration in undesirable locations.

I am hardly the one to point fingers at irrational decisions about vehicles, but of all the things to romanticize about on the M35 platform, the engine is hardly the aspect I'd put on a pedestal.

Just my opinion. The fact that you can fairly easily tune a 4BT, an engine with half the displacement, to exceed stock LDT performance speaks volumes about the era of technology, tune, and materials on the LDT rotating assembly.

Best,
Bob

TexAndy

I'd love to get a 4BT. I doubt I could find one for free tho, like my spare LDT ended up being after I parted out and either used or sold just about everything else off that truck.

XanRa

@nk14zp- mwah ha ha
Rofl :D

@trango- so vary true, but you also have to remember the venerability of them- they have something to them.... Something very unique and drawing, and can beat to **** and still function :D

ODw/envy

A 50+ year old design with that kind of track record. By modern standards weak? Perhaps. By my standards it is pretty cool.

My 03 SD 6.0L has 350hp and 525ft/lbs by comparison. While the emissions are considerably lower the MPG is not much better and at half the weight.

These trucks are like 1911's. Are there superior models out there. Sure. Lighter, stronger, more reliable, more efficient, generally more capable, Yes. There has to be something great about a piece of kit that served our country for 50+ years.

That is where the adoration comes from.

kawibrute

I will add Pictures when I get home tonight but how I found this site was because of a project I am building. I took a 1959 willy's truck, built my own 2wd frame, chopped the top 7 inches, sectioned the body 4 inches, Z'd the frame, Built all my own everything. the engine I am going to use is a LDT 465 with the spicer trans. :cool: