• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465 Multifuel. Andy3's Broken Camshaft

18operator

Hey guys, what about an oil accumulator? Moroso makes one with a three quart oil reserve. My brother had it plumbed into the pressure side of his oil system on his old F-150. Before start up we would release the oil from the accumulator into the engine as a preluber.. It was pressurized with compressed air. Also Canton Racing makes an accumulator also for dry start conditions... These are in the Summit Racing Catalog and on their website.
Maybe this will be of help...

crusader

Are the filters fitted with anti-drain back valves,aka check valves?
On the oil reports, Blackstone Labs does analysis on many types of engines and may have some useful information.
The cyclic bending and torsion on the shaft just compounds the RCFA. If the bearing integrity had remained proper the engine may have run for many miles.
There is the possibility of oil cavitation at start up due to bubbles.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/638/failure-analysis-bearings

JasonS

I drive a 17 year old car that typically has two "dry" starts every day. That is 6205 "dry" starts so far without issue. I am sure many here have older cars than mine. Most of the multifuel failures seem to have been catastrophic rod bolt failure with no indication of rod bearing wear. The cam bearing is probably one of the lightest loaded bearings in an engine. Cummins' 5.9 only has ONE real cam bearing. I think that you are basing a lot out of a sample size of one.

rustystud

Hey guys, what about an oil accumulator? Moroso makes one with a three quart oil reserve. My brother had it plumbed into the pressure side of his oil system on his old F-150. Before start up we would release the oil from the accumulator into the engine as a preluber.. It was pressurized with compressed air. Also Canton Racing makes an accumulator also for dry start conditions... These are in the Summit Racing Catalog and on their website.
Maybe this will be of help...
I was also looking at those accumulators at Summit Racing. If you installed a 24V valve to control the oil at start-up and some sort of one-way valving to get oil back in before shut-down . It would be great.

oddshot

Has any more work been done to determine the root cause of the failure?
After all this time to think it over, I'm still going with what I posted in #24. Worn cam bearings POSSIBLY caused by delayed oil pressure on cold start-ups.

I hadn't had a chance to pull the oil pan and check the rod and main bearings before the onset of cold weather, but its on my list. I want to see if the crank bearings show the same wear as the cam AND I want to determine if engines that suffer this type of failure can be repaired by JUST installing a new cam, bearing, pushrods, valves and the various gaskets and seals required. I also want to find out if I can come up with a way to replace the cam bearings without pulling the engine or trans & clutch etc AND without spending a lot of money on tools. I am also watching for ways to eliminate the long wait for op to build in these engines.

Hopefully, Spring ain't all that far off.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks