• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465 rebuild

OpieNoTool

This spring im planning on rebuilding my Engine in my duece, im getting quite a bit of blow by and my head gasket just started leaking. looking to find a good source for a rebuld kit. I know you can buy a crate engine but id rather rebuild this one. i need sleeves, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc..... any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

OpieNoTool

cranetruck said:
How much blowby, under what conditions?

there is a steady flow out the blowby tube all the time it seams to go away a little after running awhile, im assuming from the rings expanding after getting up to temp. You can definatly see where oil is seeping out around the head gasket. It doeasnt go through antifreeze much maybe a quart the whole summer, but latley ive been getting an antifrezze smell in the cab!!! no signs of antifreeze in the oil. I should mention that sence we turned up the pump and put the turbo on it has gotten wurse. there is no rebuild tag on the engine so i doubt it has never been gone through. almost to 40,000

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres a question relating to engines and hours. I know that during depot rebuilds they often reset the clocks. Do they reset the clocks on a simple engine change?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Josh, staedy flow of what? Oil or vapor? Remember. The beast under the hood makes pressure. It has to go somewhere. If it isn't using oil, it's not worn out. A bit of oil out the blow-by tube is normal. The smoke, or vapor is normal too. I will look up the correct way to check CC pressure, I saw it in one of the TMs, so it will just take a bit of searching. The multi..or a diesel...is not the same as a gasser, no PCV. It vents to atmosphere. So there will be stuff comming out the vent tube. Hold that thought.

citizensoldier

Hey Opie mine seems to have a blown head gasket too! spilled some antifreeze on it and it is making bubbles out the front of the front head. Sooooo maybe we can get two of everything and have brother Joe do it to it!! Darn multis just arent a long lasting engine.. Wonder why the Army used them? I have four of them now all need rebuilds.. Two five tons and two deucer engines.. Ughhhh.. How about a LDS 465 1A in old Lucy? Or time for Detroit!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a quick search, I can't find it, BUT, going by what I know, The TM shows the measurement directly off the BB tube into a water manometer. Detroit series 60 and Cat measure the same way. The Max CC pressure is 6 inches of water at rated RPM. I would say, that if you have that or less, you're golden. 6 inches of water looks like a volcano comming out of the tube and is usually accompanied by alot of oil!
HTH, Will

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I collect the oil (I have a crankcase breather filter installed), I can tell you that the amount of oil is about 1/10 of a quart every 1,000 to 2,000 miles.
If you are interested in measuring the pressure, get a Magnehelic gauge on ebay for about $10, they are excellent for this kind of thing, measured the pressure to see the effect of the filter, but don't know where the records ended up....
6 inches of water is about equal to the vacuum you have in the air filter canister, BTW.

I have one of these....hmmm...a little more money these days....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dwyer-Magneheli...ryZ55825QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

alphadeltaromeo

Can you explain the pressure thought a bit more. I'm not quite following the logic here...and the magnehelic gauge...measuring water? I'm lost...so any edification would be appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, "inches of water" is a unit of measure, used for very low amounts, "cm of water" or "inches of mercury" are some other ones.
6 inches of water is about 0.2 psi.

The Magnehelic gauges ar common on ebay for some reason, with odd and unusual units of measure, check them out. Normally high cost items, cheap on ebay, because most people don't have any use for them, I guess...

Blowby is under pressure as a result of combustion.
Vacuum is "negative" pressure.

OpieNoTool

WillWagner said:
Josh, staedy flow of what? Oil or vapor? Remember. The beast under the hood makes pressure. It has to go somewhere. If it isn't using oil, it's not worn out. A bit of oil out the blow-by tube is normal. The smoke, or vapor is normal too. I will look up the correct way to check CC pressure, I saw it in one of the TMs, so it will just take a bit of searching. The multi..or a diesel...is not the same as a gasser, no PCV. It vents to atmosphere. So there will be stuff comming out the vent tube. Hold that thought.
I wouldnt say its pouring the oil out but it is definatly noticable. My brother is a diesle mechanic and knows what hes doing so im going to listen to him. the wants to tear the heads off this spring and see what were dealing with. I just want to know some good sources for parts. Iv dealt with memphis befor and thier prices seem high on everything.

jatonka

My deuce wing plow truck has some seepage out the front of the front head, I'm planning on pulling it to replace the gasket with a new one. On the last one we did we only used one head gasket out of the set so I have one left over. I didn't notice any operating problem on the plow truck, it just started bubbling around the front of the front head. The thermostat had stuck the morning I had to plow a local road and then it started leaking a little. I still use the two pieceheadgaskets that have the firing ring separate, but I do grind .010" off the index pegs in the block deck. That was the original problem with multifuel head gaskets according to Bob Becker , Vietnam mechanic/trouble shooter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks