• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465 runs "funny"

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if on the LDT 465 it is normal to sound like it "cracks" out the tailpipe on acceleration? I have also noticed that during light pedal operation, cruising at 1500 RPM in top gear, It definatly sounds like it is missing until you put your foot into it. I resurrected it 2 weeks ago from an 8 year sitting spell, changed all filters and had no dedris/water in the secondary filters, however, the shut off lever was stuck in the 0 fuel position when I went to p/u unit.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Delivery valve or valve in the Cyl. head? The overhead is kind of noisy....it might be an exhaust leak at the manifold slip joint.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mean either an intake (most likely) or exhaust valve. You usually can see a manifold leak via the smoke when running it up full throttle.

With the injector, a tiny bit of corrosion can drastically alter the tip geometry and make the spray pattern off or cause it to lag. Sometimes it can come from moist air in the cylinder upon shutdown.

dg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think with a valve out of it, I would hear a popping in the intake or a chuffing in the exhaust along with white smoke due to low compression. It is smooth running at idle and if the throttle if cracked or held steady above idle it is also smooth. I have never heard one of these before, so I am not sure of how they run. It kinda of feels like it has low power, but, this is the lowest HP engine I have driven, 139 @ 2600, powering a 13k# vehicle. Is there anyone close to me that has one that I can compare mine to?...('68 Kaiser M35A2 W/W)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Will, I live out in Santa Clarita which is about 40 miles from you. Your welcome to come out and drive my truck to compare sounds/power. Send me a PM. The exhaust is a little raspy sounding on these.

CUMMINS

my truck does the exact same thing except at around 2200-2400 Rpm I have chaged the filters and run alot of fuel conditioner but it still does it, I thought it might be an injector but it runs smooth at all other times

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, Thanks for the link to the sound link! Mine sounds about the same. I think i'll check the fuel pressure at the secondary filters. Maybe the low pressure is low or going away at higher RPM. Does anyone know what kind of pressure the in-tank pump should put out?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 7 to 8 psi for the in-tank fuel pump.
If the primary filter is clogged, you will lose pressure across it, of course.
There is a pump within the injection pump also, which steps up the pressure for the secondary and final filters. It varies with rpm, but should be at least 35 psi, I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks