• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT Head seepage

fpchief

Hi, in reference to the same deuce that i am having a loss of power on, i found seepage from the right side of head. I dont think it is coming from a valve cover. At what point is it considered enough to replace the head gaskets? I would use this opportunity to have injectors checked of course...and whatever else.

20180903_130249.jpg20180903_130257.jpg20180903_130309.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats just a normal thing for the original head gaskets. In the 2nd pic, you can see the designed tab thats meant to "weep". Id just re torque the nuts and not worry about it.

sandcobra164

Thats just a normal thing for the original head gaskets. In the 2nd pic, you can see the designed tab thats meant to "weep". Id just re torque the nuts and not worry about it.
I agree with Gimpy, re-torque the head bolts on the passenger side and run it. Mine seeped in that location as have countless many others. I can't find the link but it got to be such an issue that the Army quit requiring replacement and released a bulletin in their internal P.S. Magazine describing the condition. I'm sure someone smarter than myself can post the link.

fpchief

I agree with Gimpy, re-torque the head bolts on the passenger side and run it. Mine seeped in that location as have countless many others. I can't find the link but it got to be such an issue that the Army quit requiring replacement and released a bulletin in their internal P.S. Magazine describing the condition. I'm sure someone smarter than myself can post the link.
I knew it wasn't too bad, but with the luck i am having with this engine i am expecting the worse i guess. One of the items i think you said to check for loss of power was the valve lash so i can take care of all of that at the same time.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, in reference to the same deuce that i am having a loss of power on, i found seepage from the right side of head. I dont think it is coming from a valve cover. At what point is it considered enough to replace the head gaskets? ...

I've found that a quick spritz with Gunk Engine Brite, followed by a rinse with the hose, completely cures the "problem"... (at least until it needs the seepage washed off again) :)

Last edited:

swinters

Back in the late 70's when I worked the engine line at the Ft. Lewis DOL the Army came out with a paper saying this seepage was not considered a deficiency provided a compression test met specifications. We started doing compression tests for awhile but never had a single one fail so just disregarded the seepage. They also provided instructions for when you do replace the head gaskets you may as an option coat both sides of the gasket around the push rod cutouts with #2 Permatex (but cautioned not to coat around the cylinder areas), so basically, if it's seeping, it's normal, and if you do replace the head gaskets it's optional to coat the gaskets. I did it on all the multifuels that I rebuilt but that was only a couple hundred since I only did them when the engines I worked weren't available (AVDS-1790's from M60A1/M60A3 Tanks and M88A1 Tank Retrievers).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks