• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT/LDS/LDS-1a/LDS-2

area52

What are the differences between the LDT/LDS engines?

What if anything will swap between the two? The LDS-2 is more powerful yes? Why?
Whats the diifference between the LDS and LDS-1a?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the manual: see attachments

More power: the LDS 465-2 just looks to be better prepaired to accept more fuel over extended periods, specially regarding piston cooling.

Attachments

jatonka

I just took a LDT-1C out of one of my M35A2s and totally dismantled it. That engine definitely does have piston oilers in it. It had 2 hole injectors. it had a whistler turbo. it also had #4 connecting rod poking holes in the block and oil pan. I found a failed O-ring in the front sump oil pickup screen. There was lots of oil in the push rod/rocker arm area, the sleeves still had oil behind them too. Maybe the engine overspeeded? maybe the oil system failed? jatonka

area52

I realized that the LDS made more power, just trying to figure out why. So different pistons, injectors do it? Externally they are all the same? So you can use a deuce exhaust manifold on a 5 ton multifuel( LDS) ?

My internet connection is dial up so it takes 30 minutes for me to open a TM, thats why I don't look at em'!
thanks for the info

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....goverened at a higher rpm (2,800), higer oil pump capacity (29 gpm vs 22) and IP set for higher fuel delivery (90 lb/hr vs 80 and 64 for the "-1" and deuce respectively).....

Yes, same exhaust manifold.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LDS usally has a larger turbo with a exaust brake on them aslo. But alot of them went through a rebuild at toole utah and parts got swapped around. I installed a LDS465-1A in a M35 last feb for a company in north texas. I had to get different pickup tubes for the oil pump and swap the oil pan around. The new engine came with a tag stating it had 2 1/2 ton pistions installed. It had the larger turbo and the truck really flies. If your engine has a toole sticker on the oil filterand/or a rebuild tag obove the alternator then its a crap shoot on what's in there.

2deuce

I'm interested in the differences too. I just bought a LDS465-1a from GSA last week. High bidder backed out and they let me have it being #2. It was rebuilt but never run. It has no injectors but otherwise complete. The write-up on it said 140 hp but none of the above in the chart have that value. I bought it sight unseen and plan on getting it next weekend. What injectors should I be looking for?Will the ones in a LDT work? I thought it would make a good back-up engine for my deuce. Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce,

Get injectors with1-hole injector nozzles if you have the correct code B pump on your 1A engine.

Why back-up?? After only a few changes that 5ton motor is ready to be installed in your deuce. And believe me: once you drive it you'll know the real difference and if you really need a back-up you won't be looking for anything less !!