• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT465 C OR D ENGINE, WERE THE C MODELS UNDATED TO Ds?

Red Neck

Does anyone know if the C model engines were modified with maybe a new style head gasket making them comparable to the Ds? I am looking at a very expensive truck and it has the C1 engine.

Pappa-G

As far as I know only the turbo is different. The C is refered to as a "whistler" and they do.The D is supposed to make a little more power though. [2cents] ~Pappa-G

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -D engines do have a revised head gasket. As far as I know the -C engines never had an MWO to upgrade the head gaskets.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both-Cs and -Ds are mulitfuel. Both can be converted to just diesel by bypassing the density compensator. The D series is just the latest run of the engine with all current (at that time) updates.

M215

I have swaped C - D turbos between engines, the D turbo is larger on the exhust side. Never noticed any performance difference, the LDT465-1C / D both have the same HP rating. The only difference I remenber is the head bolts have a higher torque setting on the LDT465-1D

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have run both the normal turbo and the whistler on our deuce. We find the whistler builds boost quicker at lower RPM than the bigger snail turbo. This means quicker, lower RPM power build-up. The whistler does not build quite as much boost in the top RPM range as the large snail turbo according to our gages, though. I do like the cool sound it makes, though!!

Red Neck

that would explain someone elses theory that lugging the engine causes head gasket failure, the high low end boost would favor lugging to utilize that torque and cause more gasket failures then the D eng.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think something to remember when driving these trucks is that there is no aneroid on the pump. To briefly explain, the aneroid, like on farm tractors, my Dodge Cummins, and other applications, is a valve that senses trubo boost and does not allow full fuel delivery until boost reaches a preset level, shifting the diaphragm in the aneroid. Therefore you cannot overfuel at lugging RPM's. With no aneroid, if you floor it at low RPM, you get full fuel. The injectors on these trucks are dual pattern. Some fuel is atomized and some is squirted into the piston combustion cavity for prolonged burn, giving longer power push and helping prevent knock. I wonder if this squirted fuel does not build up in the cavity, raising compression pressure when the pedal is floored before adequate air is present to burn it all. If you slowly bring in the fuel delivery rate by depressing the accelerator as the boost builds rather than flooring it off the bottom, you prevent this problem. I am crossing my fingers and toes, but we have never corked a gasket using that method, and we have whistlers with fuel turned to the max on the five tons and our deuce. We have been running the duece that way for three years now. You know the old story; as soon as I say we have had no trouble, then WHAM!! I gotta find that rabbit's foot I have---!! I do like the ability to roll smoke when some nut follows too close with the wind just right!!

bigbird189

Yeah if the X-junction filler flows pass the moderator vortex rail causing the helo mood adjuster to spring onto the flux capacitor rod. Then the combustion load controller inside the updraft sensor switch will move to the left side of the resistor moisture screen module. If you just seal it up with with Elmer's Glue, you will have no problems. [thumbzup] :carnac:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks