• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT465 powered rat rod

The King Machine

:tigger:

I have been wanting to do the same thing (rat rod) but when they were selling the V-8 Detroits cheap I missed my chance. Using an Allison transmission to avoid clutch and linkages would have made a bad a$$ hot rod. There is nothing like the sound of a two stroke, V-8 Driptroit running wide open.
I have heard that the multi-fuels were used in white tractors at one time and some of them were hot rodded at the tractor pulls.

My friend has one of those old White tractors on his farm, says its the most reliable of the bunch.

tobyS

Our Interceptor with the 4.6 was a very good performing car.

It might be a bit soft for that much weight. Have you had it on a scale drjosjam, measuring the front and rear individually? That might give you a comparison.

Another Ahab

Here is a youtube link that tells you more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjoo0Pc10po
Thanks a million, cattlerepairman; I was hoping there might be a video:

- Flip the chassis, now THAT'S thinking outside the box.

- And I didn't notice the little "cow-catcher" flare at the bottom of the radiator (nice detail).

That is one ruggedly righteous creation; VERY cool.

tobyS

Really interesting. I've been google searching military truck and semi rat rods for some time. The 8.3T with Alison would seem to make a fine start on a rod. Not necessarily for the front drive, but keep transfer case as an overdrive? (edit...that does not make sense when lowering a lot.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks