• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT465 powered rat rod

rustystud

After extensive research, I have decided to use a Crown Victoria police interceptor IFS for front suspension. I will feel a lot safer than having the whole rat rod weight hanging on 2 studs that are only 1/2" in diameter.:cool:

I am trying to find a unit locally. I found an OEM 24 V alternator on ebay for a decent price and it is being shipped.
As the owner of a Crown Victoria police interceptor I say way to go ! Those cars are built well. I only wish that the one I bought they had kept up on the body maintenance. Mine has a serious case of terminal rust ! Pisses me off too, as the engine runs great with lots of power and still gets 18mph ! Mine was used as an undercover car so they never waxed or cleaned the car allowing rust to develop in the fenders and under panels. I stopped driving it as my daily driver after my wife and son refused to ride with me. They said "it makes use look like white trash" . SIGH :( !!!!

plym49

Have you considered an I beam front axle from a light truck? It is tough to make an IFS look good on a rod, even a fendered rod.

drjosjam

Have you considered an I beam front axle from a light truck? It is tough to make an IFS look good on a rod, even a fendered rod.
That was my first consideration. But it will need lots of fab work including new steering, wishbones and will also weigh a ton. The ifs will be a lot easier for me. What the heck, if it does not please me, I can always take that route later. I dont know if can find a good person for the fab work to help me without spending a ton of cash, but the ifs is almost bolt in.

I had built one Ariel Atom replica with ifs and fenderless before, and it looked pretty. I hope this will too. See attached pics of it. I sold it last year or so, too many toys...HPIM2446.jpgHPIM2447.jpg

drjosjam

Progress has been slow but steady due to paucity of time and plethora of things to do. I have the cab removed and everything stripped to the frame. I have already put in the beefier CVPI front suspension, so I will be having power steering also. I will be going with hydroboost brakes.

The 4 legs on which the engine stood were very laboriously ground out from the weld job and have been remounted using marine and oem rubber mounts.

The current setup has a 12V fuel pump which I want to change to 24v. Can someone tell me the specs on the stock deuce electric pump? Does it even have one? I need a psi and gpm.

The radiator was puny, the smallest I have seen, I am putting one from a Corvette C5 which has about 400 square inch surface area. It has dual 12v fans which I am going to wire in series to make it 24v!

What is a good place to put a power steering pump? Are there any pre-made brackets anyone has made and selling?

What is the usual travel for the clutch and the usual pedal pressure?

Anyone has a like new gauge cluster that they are willing to sell?

Thanks for being patient and for the replies.

red

There is alot of room over the 24v alt to mount a power steering pump that's belt driven, or you can run the pump from a 5 ton (bolts to the front of the injection pump).

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The current setup has a 12V fuel pump which I want to change to 24v. Can someone tell me the specs on the stock deuce electric pump? Does it even have one? I need a psi and gpm.
This looks to be the easiest part. Goto a popular auction website and type in M35A2 fuel pump and buy the 50 dollar one. Just about the best deal there is. It is a direct Deuce pump swap. It puts out more than the 7psig that the engine pump suction needs so just route and throttle valve some of its' output right back to the tank.

Last edited:

drjosjam

This looks to be the easiest part. Goto a popular auction website and type in M35A2 fuel pump and buy the 50 dollar one. Just about the best deal there is. It is a direct Deuce pump swap. It puts out more than the 7psig that the engine pump suction needs so just route and throttle valve some of its' output right back to the tank.
I cant use that as I need an inline pump. I dont use the oem tank. I have found a good solenoid type and another marine rotary vane type, so will choose either one. Thx

tobyS

Reviewing rods...any updates to yours? Would like to see that front end installed. I bought a frame section from Lincoln that had air bags...same as CV.

How about a 931 made into one?

drjosjam

I did lots of work till Feb of this month, got all the parts etc. Did not get time afterwards, will however start soon. I want it to be ready by Woodward dream cruise. I am assuming the CV front end will handle it as the original car was about the same weight. It looks very sturdy, at least more than what it came it earlier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be interesting to see how it handles with the CVPI front suspension. The crown vics, when pushed, handle poorly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks