• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaf Spring Bushing R&R

MatthewH

Tore out the front springs from my '53 M37 so I could get them re-arched and rebuilt for 2"lift. Noticed upon removal the pins were worn, as well as the bushings them selves.

Ive got new pins, bushings and outer shackles order and headed my way, have some NOS inner shackles on my shelf waiting to go on.

Having read threw the TM, I understand how to complete this job, but does anybody who has been down this road have any tips, tricks, and/or recommendations how to make the job easier, especially the bushing removal? Have to say, first truck I've messed with that uses bronze bushings, usually there rubber, I burn em out with a torch and press new ones in.

Thanks

GUNNY 155

You should be able to clamp the eye of the spring in a bench vise and drive them out with a bushing driver or a old socket and extension. The old bushings will be harder to get out due to rust and dirt, the new bushings are not in there that tight you should be easy to install after you clean the eyes up. When I did mine I did have to take a hone to the bushings to open them up a little to fit the pins. They should be a nice slip fit. I had to match fit each pin to the bushing it will be installed in and keep it with that eye. To make them last when it is time to grease them, jack the vehicle up and support the vehicle under the frame so the weight is off the spring make sure plenty fresh grease comes out both sides of the bushing. This extra step insures you get grease on the load bearing side and not just the bottom side of the pin.

54M37

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front springs also have a bushing in the frame. It's a good idea to change those also if you have the springs off. The spring eye bushings come out rather easy compared to the ones in the frame.

MatthewH

They went pretty easy. As mentioned, the frame bushings for the front were a pain to remove. Alot of time with a chisel and hammer to get them out.
Just have to finish up rebuilding the steering components and the front should be done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks