• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaf Spring Help.

army inc

Hey guys. While I was inspecting my rear leaf springs last night, I noticed a crack in the 2nd from the top leaf spring. Any idea where I can buy just one spring. I've checked in the manual, and they say it was basically a set so I couldn't get a Part number or NSN. I also noticed, it has 4 "spring holders" instead of the 6 it is supposed to have. So I need that spring as well. Any idea where I can buy individual springs? I've tried checking online, but everyone seems to have the whole assy. Or would I just have to break down and buy the whole assy? If anyone is close to Richmond VA that has an extra rear spring assy, I wouldn't mind buying it. Any help would be grealy appreciated. Thanks.

JGBallew

If they arent too rusty, you can "restack" them, but I'm betting you'd be better served with a new assembly.

I used to take the leaves from old Land Cruisers and grind a radiused channel in the side to use them on my 81 Toyota HiLux. 20/20 hindsight, way too much work for too little return.

army inc

If they arent too rusty, you can "restack" them, but I'm betting you'd be better served with a new assembly.

I used to take the leaves from old Land Cruisers and grind a radiused channel in the side to use them on my 81 Toyota HiLux. 20/20 hindsight, way too much work for too little return.
A majority of them just have surface rust which is easy enough to clean off. I plan on cleaning off the rust, priming, and painting them, then putting them back together. My problem though is that one is cracked all the way though. The crack itself starts on the side, and then goes down the middle to where the bolt holds them all together. It's about a 4-6 inch long crack. So I'm just trying to find a replacement leaf without having to pay for a whole stack.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Our M38A1 had a cracked spring. I looked briefly and didn't see individual leaf sections-which is fine, as I decided a 50+ year old spring was probably due to be replaced and a little lift (1" or so) would be preferable.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can measure the width and go to a junk yard and buy a set off a vehicle with the same width springs. If none are the correct length, you can cut them. Make sure you have the spring pack bolt hole in the same relative position from each end. The spring pack bolt is not in the middle on all vehicles.

Or you can go to a spring shop and buy one leaf. I've done both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks