• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leak from Speedometer Cable

socom688

*** Title Changed *** The transmission is not involved with this issue.

I have a leak coming from the crimped part of the fitting (where hose slips over male fitting then a crimp from the fitting secures it). My question, any quick way to fix it without pulling it off and making a mess? Would trying to squeeze the crimp harder fix it or make it leak more? Here's a pic of the style fitting I'm talking about (not actual part)

Ok, here's the sober update! It is the hose for my speedo that is leaking. I did get it right though that it's leaking from the coupling thingy on the fitting (in red). The area in green has the presence of fluid but does not appear to have a big leak.

Heres a pic:

Should I replace the entire speedo cable? My speedo bounces all over so maybe the leak and the bouncing needle are linked to the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

socom688

Can't remember off the top of my head but it has the old jeep style gearing where 1st 3rd and 4th are next to each other and 2nd and 5th are up top

socom688

Hmm, ok I'll snap a pic of the leak tomorrow. I'm 90% sure it's from a hose out of the trans. It's a pain because it's the only thing leaking on my truck! And it leaks a lot lol

socom688

Yeah I know that mine is a manual, it was just a pic I googled of the type of fitting. On my trans, the hose is threaded onto the front of the trans.

socom688

So I found a pic on google of what's leaking, it's my xfer case! Sorry yall, have had a few beers tonight, so I'm gunna blame my brain lapse on that. Although what's on mine IS and aftermarket rubber based hose, and not the metal tubing in the pic:

socom688

Can do, thx for the input guys. Tomorrow I'll get under there and take a photo. I thought it'd be a great idea to post about it tonight but again gunna blame the booze for the thread of garbage! To be continued...

glassk

I have a leak coming from the crimped part of the fitting (where hose slips over male fitting then a crimp from the fitting secures it). My question, any quick way to fix it without pulling it off and making a mess? Would trying to squeeze the crimp harder fix it or make it leak more? Here's a pic of the style fitting I'm talking about (not actual part)

Ok, here's the sober update! It is the hose for my speedo that is leaking. I did get it right though that it's leaking from the coupling thingy on the fitting (in red). The area in green has the presence of fluid but does not appear to have a big leak.

Heres a pic:

Should I replace the entire speedo cable? My speedo bounces all over so maybe the leak and the bouncing needle are linked to the same problem?
That ain't a hose, it's the adapter,...

Attachments

socom688

Well it's leaking from the red circle, the hose. The 90 degree adapter seems fine. I could even pinch the hose before the fitting that goes into the adapter, and that made it really leak from the coupling thing that's circled in red.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post your pictures using this websites picture feature. Clicking on an outside link is a pain and if you ever delete your pictures on photobucket this thread becomes useless.

And I will change your title as the transmission isn't even associated with the issue.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also it is not a hose. It is a housing for the cable inside.

socom688

Ok here's the pic with the leak circle. So the thing I have been calling a hose is just a protective sleeve/housing for the speedo cable? Now I am getting somewhere :naner:. So it leaking from where the sleeve goes into the coupling is probably a bad o-ring as previously stated?

I apologize for my ignorance here gentlemen, I may have had my deuce for a bit, but have actually had little hands-on with it and am still learning a lot about it everytime I come to SS.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am not at home to post a pic, but there should be an O-ring in the cable or geared output. Maybe someone else can post up so you can see where its supposed to be.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about these from the TM 9-2320-209-20P

speedo gear.jpgspeedo cable.jpgspeedo transfer.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks