• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leak

Shooter308

You may have to adjust the brake shoes in and away from the drum - if there is a "lip" on the outer edge of the drum... Depends on how well the vehicle has been maintained and if maybe the drum didn't "get turned" during the last shoe replacement...
Thanks Mullaney. Long day at work, then trying to fit this project in, I wasn't thinking clearly enough to even think of that. Had everything apart and cleaned up this morning. Gear oil didn't soak all the brake parts, but brake cleaned everything off and wiped down. Repacked bearings and reinstalled everything with the new seal, and used gear oil rtv for the spindle groove. Will try a test drive tomorrow and see how it turned out.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Mullaney. Long day at work, then trying to fit this project in, I wasn't thinking clearly enough to even think of that. Had everything apart and cleaned up this morning. Gear oil didn't soak all the brake parts, but brake cleaned everything off and wiped down. Repacked bearings and reinstalled everything with the new seal, and used gear oil rtv for the spindle groove. Will try a test drive tomorrow and see how it turned out.
It looks like you are making good progress @Shooter308 !
Definitely cleaned up really well.

INFChief

Those cams at the top that ride on the interior of the shoe - those are your major adjustments. Before sliding your drum back on rotate them to give maximum clearance on the drum. The “hook” button n that cam adjuster should be up against the brake shoe metal rib. If you loosen the large nut on the lower anchor bolts you will be able to rotate those with a open end wrench on the back side of that adjuster. Position each of those before you put the drum back on to get max clearance too. I’m drawing on a 43 year old memory but I think the bottom anchor concentric adjusting bolts should be turned in a particular direction. That’s so when you go to adjust the brakes that anchor will rotate in the correct direction. Otherwise you won’t get the anchor bolt to rotate properly for the adjustment. I think the feeler gauge clearance was 0.020 & 0.010? I think it was 0.010 on the bottom & 0.020 on the top. Better check the TM though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks