• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Deuce

zeisshensoldt

After a brief overview of the inside of the hood and the underneath of my deuce, I've noticed a few leaks and took pictures of what I could see. If there's any that appear to be significant and need attention please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most deuces will mark their territory. A good start is to wash everything down and start your leak search with a clean engine and drive train components. That way, you know better what's what; crud and dirt buildup make some leaks hard to track. The puddle in your first picture is nothing if your truck has been sitting there for three weeks. If it shows like that after five minutes, you might have an issue.

As for the greasy spot on your tank - do not overfill. The fill line is about a hand's with from the top.

zeisshensoldt

Most deuces will mark their territory. A good start is to wash everything down and start your leak search with a clean engine and drive train components. That way, you know better what's what; crud and dirt buildup make some leaks hard to track. The puddle in your first picture is nothing if your truck has been sitting there for three weeks. If it shows like that after five minutes, you might have an issue.

As for the greasy spot on your tank - do not overfill. The fill line is about a hand's with from the top.
those 2 puddles appeared after 5 minutes. One I could spot leaking out of the primary fuel filter around the gasket (which i replaced 2 months ago) and i couldnt find the other one, although its extremely oily and greasy on the right side of the engine, so i couldn't easily pin point it. I put my finger in both puddles they both seemed like diesel to me, but then again what the he|| do i know. Also, If i were to try tightening up the primary fuel filter canister, how do I get to it if the alternator is on top of the screw?

Last edited:

Katahdin

Its a tight fit, but you can get to the primary filter bolt with the correct sized wrench. You can also loosen the alternator bracket bolt and push the alternator towards the block out of your way. You should know how to do this to replace belts anyway.

However, what I did was replace that filter housing completely with a spin on filter kit that SS member Westfolk sells. Works great, I recommend it.

Srjeeper

Looks like alot of what your seeing can be fixed by taking some time and a few hand tools and start tightening things up. Go over all your hose clamps, all the fuel line fittings, valve cover bolts, intake & exhaust manifold bolts are all things that can and do come loose. If it looks like it holds something on, put a wrench on it and give it a twist.

Many times the leaks in and around the trans & transfer case are due to over filling. You want them down about an inch below the fill holes. Radiator level should be so you just start to see coolant in the bottom of the neck. Oil level should be to the 'K' in CHECK on the dipstick.

I usually do this every spring and fall when the temps start to change. You'll be surprised at the things you'll find and the results you'll see as the drips go away.

Srjeeper

Go to any parts store and get 2 or 3 cans of the spray on De-Greaser. Warm the engine up, spray it on, wait 10/15 minutes and hose it off.

I prefer the Gunk foaming de-greaser as it doesn't have a strong kerosene odor, but the wife still won't let me do it in the living room...:whistle:

Let it dry about 30 minutes and your ready to start getting things tightened up...:jumpin:

F18hornetM

I like spray nine degreaser, or plain old spray nine. Washs off easy with water and will clean up oil/fuel spots. Spray it all down and hose off. works good. then after the next trip, check it out again for leaks.

Motorcar

The gasket around the fuel in-tank pump and sending unit may be leaking due to over filling as previously said but may also just be in need of replacement. You appear to have the old style fire ring head gaskets and they tend to seep oil as I see in one of the pictures. It's really nothing but an annoiance if you don't mind the oil drips. Transfer case and transmission input/output seals are common leak issues and of course the vents need to be tended to. You could spend the entire day here searching oil leaks and reading solutions, good luck :shock:

zeisshensoldt

I checked the coolant in my radiator today and it looks pretty nasty and dirty, so i decided to look up the emptying and flushing procedures in the TM's and wow is it complicated. It seems like an all day process with all the engine starting, stopping and waiting periods. All the chemicals, flushing gun and draining. Is it absolutely necessary to follow the directions or is there an easier way to empty and flush the engine cooling system? Also, how much coolant is needed, 7 gallons?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks