• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Heater Core

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My heater core looked like it started leaking so I replaced the entire blower / heater core with NOS as the blower wasn’t working anyway. I also replaced the hoses and clamps. Started the truck and it looks like the NOS unit from 1985 is leaking too. Is there any other problem that could cause coolant to leak from the heater core that I’m missing?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My heater core looked like it started leaking so I replaced the entire blower / heater core with NOS as the blower wasn’t working anyway. I also replaced the hoses and clamps. Started the truck and it looks like the NOS unit from 1985 is leaking too. Is there any other problem that could cause coolant to leak from the heater core that I’m missing?
Loose Clamps?
Is one hose larger than the other? Maybe the hose is too large to fit onto the "stub" that you attached the hose to?

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clamps are pretty tight, but I will definitely check. I didn’t see any coolant near the stubs, only in the bottom of the box.

here is the spec on the hose I used.

5/8 Inner diameter (epdm, 95psi rated) Gates Green Stripe Heavy-Duty Heater Hose

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's update: I removed heater core from the truck and applied permatex sealant between the petcock and the core. I rinsed the outside of the core off and refilled with coolant and water. I'm going to let it sit overnight in an upright position and see if I get any leaks. I'm going to drop the original leaking core off to a radiator shop so I may be taking 2 with me...

HDN

This is interesting. My M35A3 has a leaky heater core too, and from what I know many M44A3 trucks came out of the factory with leaking heater cores. I'm having trouble finding the posts here though - I'm pretty sure I read about it here 🤷‍♂️ Those trucks were built from 1995 to 1998.

Fortunately I only drive the truck when it's warm enough outside I don't need the heater anyway - no winter driving for me, especially with the salt up here! One day I'll pull that core and take it to a radiator shop for a repair.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well…. The radiator shop called and said he can’t fix either core, so I guess I’ll need to try one of those new cores out.

I know the cores are pretty basic, but does anyone have a military radiator expert that may be able to work some magic on 2 heater cores?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks