• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking IP

Horst

Dear all,

This is post number 1 so I am obviously an absolute newcomer to the deuce. I have only a few miles experience. I have looked into the TM and also used the search.
Since yesterday the injector pump is dripping fuel to the floor. My first guess from looking at it that it drips at the gasket of the timing window cover. Can I remove that lid and replace the gasket with everything installed or will things jump/fall out when removing the two screws?

Greetings from Munich, Bavaria

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what you said, it sounds like you are dripping out the shut off cover.

That cover has a gasket. It only seals engine oil. There should be no fuel behind that cover. If your hydraulic head O-rings are leaking(some-what common failure), you would see fuel leaking(possibly). There is also a small o-ring on the shut off slide.

I suggest you remove the cover, turn on your in-tank pump, then evaluate fuel leakage. You may only have a bad gasket and oil leakage.

Horst

ok, will try to take some. Deuce is 40 miles from home. Will take a few days. Drove it the first time yesterday for an hour. Then after the second drive today it started this leak.

Reply from doghead however makes me think I am wrong or have a bigger problem. The fluid dripping was clear and not dark oil so I believe it is diesel. Good, I am scared now, this is the first truck and the first diesel engine I own. I already fixed a leaking rear axle seal before even driving it, but that was just unusual big and heavy, nothing fundamentally new...

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is your hydraulic head o-rings, not to worry. The whole repair procedure is in the tech manuals, and had been posted a few times here on SS.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what you said, it sounds like you are dripping out the shut off cover.

That cover has a gasket. It only seals engine oil. There should be no fuel behind that cover. If your hydraulic head O-rings are leaking(some-what common failure), you would see fuel leaking(possibly). There is also a small o-ring on the shut off slide.

I suggest you remove the cover, turn on your in-tank pump, then evaluate fuel leakage. You may only have a bad gasket and oil leakage.
:ditto:

Horst

update: before starting the engine, I let the fuel pump run. Started almost immediately seeping fuel out. I could not exactly tell where it was coming, did run on top of the shut of cover. So I removed the cover with the shut off mechanism. Was a little oil in it (as I guess it should) but no fuel. So I have to revise my observation and believe now that fuel seeps out under the head (that round device bolted to the pump with 4 1/2" nuts where the injection lines come out). No I am confused (even more than usual)...I would have thought that this part of the pump would only see fuel under pressure with the engine running?

kennys@wi.rr.com

Fist I would try to tighten the bolt in the center of the HH. It's really more of a plug than anything and if it's loose fuel will come out of it when just the fuel pump is on. If memorey serves that should be 3/4" and you may need to move the injector boots up to get a socket onto it.
Then I would remove the fuel shut off cover. When the cover is off turn the pump on and see if the fuel is coming out past the shut off. If it is then you know the O ring for the shut off is most likely the problem. Follow the steps to remove it and try replacing that. Then check with the cover off to see if the leaking has stopped. If not, then look to removing the HH and replacing the 2 O rings on it.
Here is a link to a thread I did on removing and replacing the HH. It may be able to help.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/69241-removing-rebuilding-reinstalling-hydraulic-head.html

Horst

here the pic as requested. I wiped the cover dry and you might be able to see that it is starting to get wet from fuel again. Fuel seems to come from the area around the stud/nut in the center of the picture

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

I would remove the fuel line coming to the HH and the fitting from the HH. Clean them all up real well and put them back in. It could be one of them is loose and just making it look like it is coming from the stud. If it is coming up from the stud there is a good chance it is one of the 2 O rings on the bottom of the HH. Not a hard job, just takes some time. I am curently walking another member through the process so if needed I can copy you in on the emails.

Horst

Thanks folks for the replies so far. Appreciate it, Kenny, yes, please copy me. I am myself now going thru some repair (surgery next week), so I won't be able to try, but gathering info is still very welcome.

Last edited:

Horst

ok, I have halfway recovered from getting fixed and am able to work on the truck again. It sure seems like fuel is coming out between the hydraulic head and the pump body so I understand the O-rings are the problem.

Anybody has a good source for these rings? I will be in the States next week and could have them delivered to a friend of mine, so I would need them ordered this week.

Second the truck now starts really bad. Needs a long time turning the starter before it fires up. Did not do that before. And I have only put like 30 miles on it when I got it and it always started almost instantly. Could it be related to the fuel leak ?

Keith_J

ok, I have halfway recovered from getting fixed and am able to work on the truck again. It sure seems like fuel is coming out between the hydraulic head and the pump body so I understand the O-rings are the problem.

Anybody has a good source for these rings? I will be in the States next week and could have them delivered to a friend of mine, so I would need them ordered this week.

Second the truck now starts really bad. Needs a long time turning the starter before it fires up. Did not do that before. And I have only put like 30 miles on it when I got it and it always started almost instantly. Could it be related to the fuel leak ?
Yes, leaking injection pump heads start hard because the air in the system prevents injection until the priming pumps can deal with it.

Oddly enough, the injection pump is an American Bosch so I believe the o-rings are of metric dimension. You should be able to source correct size rings in Deutschland. Only consideration is material. Your supplier should know what is proper for oil/diesel service.

davey8943

I use McMaster Carr company, but any industrial supply company will carry them (at least any ones that I'm familiar with!) Floridianson posted a link to the sizes / grainger part numbers in post #11 above... check it out! I used the Viton Rings for mine, they are tough stuff!

The worst part of changing these is lining up red scribed gear tooth to the pointer in the window before pulling the HH. By the way, DON'T FORCE THE HH OUT!! It should come out nice and easy, ask me how I know!

Good luck,
Dave

Horst

I don't have too much time to spend, but today I worked on the truck again and this is what I found. Pretty surprising that it did not leak in the first place. Somebody did not pay too much attention when installing those O-rings. New question comes up, do I need to do any bleeding when everything will be back in place, and if yes, how?

Attachments

Last edited: