• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leaking m1009

jmmay82

I have had an m1009 four about four monthes I bought it from gl non running a figured out that it was the injector pump that was bad I replaced the injector pump and several other things at my leisure I work many hours so finished putting it all together and it is leaking very heavily around the back of the motor/ front of trans some sort of dirty oily water the oil on dipstick looks good and this is a serious leak and it did not leak at all sitting in my garage for monthes any ideas ???

Thanks

Ken_86gt

I have had an m1009 four about four monthes I bought it from gl non running a figured out that it was the injector pump that was bad I replaced the injector pump and several other things at my leisure I work many hours so finished putting it all together and it is leaking very heavily around the back of the motor/ front of trans some sort of dirty oily water the oil on dipstick looks good and this is a serious leak and it did not leak at all sitting in my garage for monthes any ideas ???

Thanks
dirty oily water the oil on dipstick looks good? I don't understand what you are saying. If you have water leaking from the back of the motor it could be a leaking head gasket. Is the coolant level dropping?

jmmay82

I am just saying that the oil is clean no water when I looked on the dipstick and it is leaking oily water maybe it is coolant i was kind of hoping it was condensation working its way through some sort of downdraft tube that would really suck if it is the headgasket

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dads airforce crew cab did the same thing. After a few oil pan gaskets and rear main replacements. He found it was the plug/cap at the end of the camshaft. You can inspect it with a flashlight and a mirror. Unbolt the tourque converter and slide it back. Then rotate the engine untill one of the big holes in the flywheel lines up with it.

91W350

I bought my first one and it puddled everyplace it went. The local Sheriff's Office had been using it for jail maintenance and a snow plow truck. They told me it had an oil leak. After putting on a new flex plate and getting he starter rebuilt, I started to pursue the oil leak. It was diesel fuel.

The lift pump was dripping into the front cross member, the fan was picking it up and blowing it back on the pan and it would run down the pan rail to the back of the block, where it would drip off the rail on to the pavement. It always looked like black runny oil from all of the dirt diesel seems to attract. When it dried though, it was like a bunch of black rings, instead of a thick oily spot like you would get from engine oil.

Just something else to check out. The pump is a pain to change, the hole is small and there is a push rod from the cam to the pump arm, just like the small and big block Chevrolets used. I usually coat the rod with lithium grease and stuff it back in the hole before trying to install the pump. Failure to get the push rod back up in the hole will result in a damaged pump and bent push rod. Glen