• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking oil filters at base

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have all the manuals from rdixiemiller on CD. Can some one KINDLY direct me to the correct manual for the fuel filters.

I've been looking at several over the past hour and I guess I'm just to stupid to find it.

Any help will be appreciated. I seem to have oil leaking out of the bottom of my oil filter holders.

At first I thought it was oil from one of the axle boots (which I have two news ones and will probably replace those just on GP when I swap wheels to super singles. Then I thought that my breather on my axle was blowing oil all over everything. The opposite was the case. It was completely clogged. I've got replacement already installed.

Closer inspection shows what looks like a light oil film around the base of the double oil filter canisters on the drivers side of the engine. I guess it's time to pull the filters and check them out.

So, can one of you fine folks direct me to the correct TM or other manual?

thx.

jim

m35a2cowner

Oil filter leak

I am guessing you have the canister type, I am lucky enough to have spin -ons. When you remove the canister see if the thin rubber seal is split or pinched. If it is it should be replaced. If not remove the seal and see if there is a piece of another seal underneath it. Another thing to check is that the bolt is putting a reasonable amount of force on the canister when its torqued to the proper spec. Check to see if there is some sort of sealing washer in between the bolt and the top of the canister. If not the oil might be leaking around the top of the bolt or the bolt might not be tightening down the canister properly. Probably wouldn't hurt to make sure the little keeper on the inside of the canister is keeping pressure the filter cartridge so that it seals against the base. Good luck

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, the gasket under the canister (both of them) is very thin. When you install the canister DON'T turn it to try to seat it, just put even pressure on it and tighten the bolt on top.
Turning or twisting the canister will upset the gasket and give you a leak.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Make sure the gaskets are sitting in the oil filter bosses correctly, if you don't have them lined up right, they'll get out of the groove when the filter housing is screwed on , and they like to shift around when you try and seat them.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, FOR EVERYONE, after much searching, I finally found what I was looking for.

It's in TM 9-2320-361-20 - chapter 3 - pages 10, 11 & 12. These are pages 314 - 316 in this manual.

3-7 Engine oil filter and body maintenance and it gives exploded diagrams.

Draining Oil
Oil Filter Removal
Body Disassembly
Cleaning and inspection
Body Assembly
Oil Filter Assembly

I'm sorry for bothering everyone about this, but I'm a visual type of guy and as others have said here, nothing beats being able to print out the directions and take them out to the truck while I do the work.

Thanks again to rdixiemiller for ALL those manuals on the CD. I was confident it would be very helpful and my confidence was NOT disappointed.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RDD,
I STAND CORRECTED!!

Sorry about that rdixiemiller. And MANY THANKS for the CD with ALL those manuals. They have already provided me with the info I needed for the oil filter change. I can't thank you enough.

SORRY BOUT THAT RDD!!

jest gettin old I guess!

jim

edit - I edited the other two posting here to correct my idiocy!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That editing feature is like time travel to the past and changing events, it changes everything that follows. :)
Perhaps we shouldn't be able to edit a post after someone has responded to it. Just a thought...

m35a2cowner

Spin on Filters

The truck came with them. It must have been updated somewhere along the line. Its a 1C engine. It appears to be a bolt on filter adapter (non-aftermarket). If you would like I can take a picture and post it if can figure out how to do it. I just last night got some help from mangus580 and figured out how to put the picture by my name. That said I am happy to try.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m35a2cowner,
Yes please. I would like to see pictures of your oil filter setup.

If you have any problems posting pictures, pm me and I'll try and help. Don't forget to size them properly (480 - 640).

thx.

jim

red devils dude

wallew said:
RDD,
I STAND CORRECTED!!

Sorry about that rdixiemiller. And MANY THANKS for the CD with ALL those manuals. They have already provided me with the info I needed for the oil filter change. I can't thank you enough.

SORRY BOUT THAT RDD!!

jest gettin old I guess!

jim

edit - I edited the other two posting here to correct my idiocy!
I dont care but robert need's the credit.

SixBuy

Speaking of leaks... Has anybody found a source for the soft copper washer on TOP of the canister? You get the bottom all sealed up and the top starts oozing...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m35a2cowner,
THAT'S JUST SLICK. Those are spin on filters, right? That's a pretty good 'modification' if you ask me. Seems to solve ALL SORTS of problems. Especially all the opportunities for leaks that our setup seems to have. Plus no need for all the parts necessary to assemble our current filters.

Maybe the next time you change filters, take a picture of them with the filter off and include the filter number. A price wouldn't hurt either. I realize that you didn't do the conversion, but how tough could it be? Granted you would have to remove the base and modify it to handle the spin on filter, but that seems to me to be simply finding the correct thread count and pitch for the filter on one end and the base on the other.

I could be wrong though. Maybe someone else could pitch in here. jim

m35a2cowner

Filters

Yes they are. I got them from NAPA, I think they are a fairly common WIX filter. I painted them, for those who like to look under the hood at truck shows. I think I have an old filter or the number around here somewhere. Give me a day or two and I'll do some rummaging around.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a great mod. Thanks for sharing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you have an oil sampling valve on the oil cooler. Every 200 engine hours or so, send a sample in for analysis. Sample kits available at Caterpillar dealers and other places.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son had a leak problem at the base of one filter. He had gotten the bolts and cans switched with each other whem he changed oil. The problem turned out to be one can hold-down bolt was just enough longer to bottom out in the threads when it was put in the other location. We shortened the bolt a bit, and the problem went away.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks