• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Pinion Seal?

houdel

Is this the typical leaking pinion seal that 40Grit asked about in his posting http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5023?

Obviously a leak, but is it from the pinion seal or the gasket behind the pinion flange? I'm guessing pinion deal, as gear oil is pretty well sprayed over the right frame rail & tire (at first I suspected a wheel seal failure, but there was no leakage around the hub). BTW, the silver grease on the U-joint is excess grease form when I greased the U-joints.

Attachments

40grit

I would say that's the same problem...as long as the flange bolts are tight, I would guess the pinion seal is leaking behind that dirt slinger thingy on the flange...the flange seal is just some gasket material and whatever shims are required for proper gear alignment..if the bolts are tight, then I would assume that much fluid is getting by the seal versus squeezing thru between the shims, housing and gaskets...pull the driveshaft, then the input and take a look at the seal..the one I'm trying to replace was obviously bad...big gap between the shaft and the rubber...hope it helps..