• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking rear axle

aleigh

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 4.46.03 PM.jpg

Sigh. So I pull the truck into the yard today and notice this on the walkaround. Really bad timing here because I am scheduled to take it to Seattle and back from Phoenix over Christmas. I know Dana axles but I know almost nothing about how these are setup... But the obvious implication here is some seal is blown.

My questions are - What is it likely to be? Is it liable to get a lot worse, or can I probably keep pouring fluid in it for the next few thousand miles? And do we have a commercial shop or person in the PHX area who works on these? I would DIY but I don't have a shop space right now.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive(and stop) that wheel onto a 6" block and you wont loose any oil.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Park on a slant so the oil is away from that end of the axle cap. Unthread the cap and re-seal. You could probably clean things up and add some RTV silicone to the existing seal and get it to stop leaking.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the others have said pull that side higher pull the plug, cleans and reseal. I used pipe dope on mine rated for oils. When I pulled my rear shafts for the gear change.

Givinup

I'd drain a bit of oil from the center section and other side as well to check for moisture in the oil. Other than that, it's an easy reseal. If you can't park at a slant, you can drain from that side from the drain plug before removing and then pack paper towel around it and while you clean it up. (don't remove the shaft, that's for the high speed gear change. Then remove paper towels and put diff seal on, ideally not the 1 minute quick seal. I'd recommend letting it seal up for 24 hours before putting oil back in that side (although some will seep over)

Should put 12-16oz back in the hub, or at least that's what is put in on the 6x6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Givinup

View attachment 710936

Sigh. So I pull the truck into the yard today and notice this on the walkaround. Really bad timing here because I am scheduled to take it to Seattle and back from Phoenix over Christmas. I know Dana axles but I know almost nothing about how these are setup... But the obvious implication here is some seal is blown.

My questions are - What is it likely to be? Is it liable to get a lot worse, or can I probably keep pouring fluid in it for the next few thousand miles? And do we have a commercial shop or person in the PHX area who works on these? I would DIY but I don't have a shop space right now.
Probably not the best advice, but how much oil has leaked out? If it's a slow leak you could just bring extra oil with you and refill as you do with diesel. A temp gun and a few quarts of oil will be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks