• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking rear main, Drive it home or not?

combatmp29r

Hey all, looking for some advice from the long term deuce owners. Yesterday I took the deuce for her first longish trip since I've owned her. Only around 60 miles, but she sat a few years before we bought it. Well about 50 miles in the clutch starts slipping on the hills and it continually gets worse till we get there. Pull in and the wonderful tell tale motor oil out the fording plug screams leaking rear main to me. So on to my question. If I pull the inspection cover and spray a couple cans of brake clean in it, top off the oil and stop a few times to check the oil level (and watch the guage obviousely) would yall recommend driving her home? I can get her towed ($425 or hauled $350) but would like to spare that money if possible. I need to get her back in the driveway with air and elec so I can change it out. When I was still Active duty I wouldn't have even debated it. I of course then wasnt paying for the engine if it dies either. Thanks everyone.

davidb56

It depends on how much its leaking. If its not dripping out, but just a little seep, Id drive it back with the fording plus out. It should be out anyways. Id also make sure the blow by tube is not plugged. If there is excess crankcase pressure, it won't help.

combatmp29r

It depends on how much its leaking. If its not dripping out, but just a little seep, Id drive it back with the fording plus out. It should be out anyways. Id also make sure the blow by tube is not plugged. If there is excess crankcase pressure, it won't help.
no its a pretty decent leak, constant dripping while running. Thanks for the blow by tube thought. Didn't think to check it. **** that could be a contributing factor to the failure.

combatmp29r

Porky a new clutch is already in the bed along with pressure plate and flywheel. Just thought the previous owner had found a good deal on extra pieces, but maybe they new something I didn't

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shooting brake cleaner up through the fording hole in generous quantities also helps the clutch to live a little longer to get you home.

combatmp29r

Shooting brake cleaner up through the fording hole in generous quantities also helps the clutch to live a little longer to get you home.
I remember on active duty running one about 100 miles that way because we already had a 5 ton hanging on the Wrecker. We pulled the inspection cover (think we left it off, but that's neither here nor there lol) sprayed a couple cans of brake clean on the clutch disk added some oil, and ran till it slipped again. Pulled over, and repeat till back in the motorpool. I'm pretty sure we just changed out the rear seal and clutch and put multiple more trips on it, but not positive. Again though if it had come apart it wasn't our dime to repair it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you sure its motor oil?

The deuce trans has a habit of getting warm and pushing gear oil out the input shaft. The flywheel has a lip on it that kinda protects it from motor oil if it is in fact the rear main leaking.

combatmp29r

Are you sure its motor oil?

The deuce trans has a habit of getting warm and pushing gear oil out the input shaft. The flywheel has a lip on it that kinda protects it from motor oil if it is in fact the rear main leaking.
I am not. I know the oil pressure didn't drop at all while it leaked. It was dripping out like **** though. Whats the fix for the input shaft issue? If I remember right there isnt a seal on those, they are supposed to push the oil back towards the trans correct?

Barrman

Pull the fill plug on the transmission to see if oil gushes out at you. It could have some water ingested in that raised the level some. Also, check your engine oil level to verify a few things. One, that you still have some and how much you have lost.

Oil psi will be the same no matter how much oil you have or don’t have as long as the pump has some to pump. It will only drop when it runs dry. You have to be really, really low for that to happen.

combatmp29r

Pull the fill plug on the transmission to see if oil gushes out at you. It could have some water ingested in that raised the level some. Also, check your engine oil level to verify a few things. One, that you still have some and how much you have lost.

Oil psi will be the same no matter how much oil you have or don’t have as long as the pump has some to pump. It will only drop when it runs dry. You have to be really, really low for that to happen.
Roger that will do. I checked the engine oil after it had been shut off for 15 minutes or so and it was slightly high which I attribute to drain down as I was outside the ideal checking window. It looked clean and didn't smell of fuel or show any signs of water so I don't think there is any other blown gasket adding to it

I will drive up there and check the tranny for water or excessive fluid

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The oil pressure will go up as she runs out of crankcase lube oil.
Oil, the proper oil for the multfuel crankcase, is cheap.
Do not skimp
follow what the good men said

Just keep her at the mark, get a case of brake kleen and drive her home.
Other stuff may impede your progress
Get Her home to work on it.

dmetalmiki

I had the mother of all leaks on one of our trucks on a run to an event. (Two truck convoy). A no oil situation declared itself.
Fix? (To 'Get there) miles from anywhere from where we were or to help or suppliers of engine oils.
A bar the trucks together, Drain the oil from the towed truck. Fill the towing truck.
We only just made it!.
A huge supply of cheap engine oil and the return journey was completed and to our workshop at home for the repairs we had to carry out.
AH!..here come the replies, "Why did you not just tow the A barred truck"?
Our 'Convoy' consisted of two trucks alright, PERO (but).
One was an M54..One was an M35.
YEP..The 5 ton had the leak.
Top up your oil to one quart over FULL , (And carry adequate spare cans of the 'slippery stuff' with you).
Good luck. With the distance you are going it is do-able, As said by others Clean the clutch with spray cleaner, and carry spare cans also.
(And), As said by others..Save the 'dollars' And spend the money on the repairs.

combatmp29r

Ok everyone thank you all for the input and thoughts. The wife and I will be taking the ride up there in the morning with extra oil both engine and gear (truck already has an extra gallon of each in the bed) plus a case of brake clean. The plan is to check it over, clean the clutch and drive her home. I will be avoiding the interstate and NC State Troopers so the mileage will still be right around 60 but the time will take longer. I will update everyone when she is home

Change the oil seal and clutch assembly also look into the upgraded bearing retainer that has an actual seal in it as well. Mseries rebuild sells them but gotta send your old one to them for a core.

sandcobra164

Oil leaks are scary until you consider how much oil is in these trucks. Different model entirely but my M923 had a sudden oil leak from the front drive that rides the belts to the fan and sprays oil everywhere under the hood. I worried about smoking the engine until an engineer friend of mine put it into perspective. A drop of oil looks like a huge mess once it's spread out, my truck has 27 quarts in the crankcase, you're Deuce has 22 quarts. I've run my truck harder over the past year than I ever have and a funny thing happened, the seal seems to have sealed up. Even if that doesn't happen in your case, you're pulling the transmission to replace the clutch. It'll roll the last 60 miles.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am not. I know the oil pressure didn't drop at all while it leaked. It was dripping out like **** though. Whats the fix for the input shaft issue? If I remember right there isnt a seal on those, they are supposed to push the oil back towards the trans correct?
Gear oil stinks. If you put your finger in the oil and smell it, you'll know!

combatmp29r

Ok all sorry for the slow update, but the weather and most other things decided to get in the way this week. The wife and I went after the truck yesterday. It showed 2 quarts low on engine oil and the tranny was exactly where it should be. So I removed the inspection cover, used 2 cans of brake clean on the clutch/flywheel and topped off the oil. Drove it and the new JLTV trailer home 60ish miles and it never leaked a drop or slipped once........ still gonna pull the tranny and take the clutch out to at least clean it. While there I'll change the rear main, but starting to think she just didn't like running up the interstate the whole way there. Now if I could only figure out how to add a photo using my phone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks