• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking throttle shaft seals

86M10086.2L

I finally finished fighting my leaky fuel filter base problems. Many thanks CCATLETT, but I'm still plagued with hard starting after the truck sits for 3 or more hours. Originally the culpret was the clogged fuel filter sensor/switch which was leaking letting fuel drain back to the tank overnight causing the hard starts. replaced it, was good for about 2 days then same problem again. Got a new base, installed the new style switch along with brass valves for the Air-Bleed and water drain good for another few days, Now no leaks, but same starting problem. Looked all over couldn't find any leaks. Then while replacing my transfer-case mounts I saw raw fuel on the transmission bell housing. Followed the drip back to the throttle shaft in the govenor housing on the injector pump. Looked in my trusty TM and wal-la seals, I have a local place that rebuilds IP's that I can get seals from, but before I undertake such a project is there something else wrong that caused those seals to go bad? Should there even be that much fuel in there? Is there something else I should be looking at? Can this repair be done with the IP in the truck? Am I better off to just bite the bullet and get the IP totally rebuilt while its out if I have to take it out? My truck has only 46K miles on it, I can't imagine much being wrong with the IP other than little things like this due to age. Any thoughts?

acetomatoco

It is over 20 years old and in the GM world, that is two lifetimes... Even though your truck shows relatively low mileage, it might have been started and idled every day for hours for 10 years..no hour meter... Ozone and fuel contaminants do a job on seals... The fix most folks use is to put a electric priming pump on, so that the IP has nice fresh clean fuel for each start... Just cut into the line and put in a 12 V fuel pump from napa and run it for a few seconds prior to starting. Another place for the fuel to leak back from is the rubber lines on top of the tank, you can see em between the cab and body...they get porous...

MILRET45

I've been through about a half dozen 1009's and 1008's plus a civilian 6.2 Surburban and as mentioned in the previous post 20 years seems to be the magic point for the IP's seals to let go. In every case I pulled the pumps and had them rebuilt and had no further problems with starting issues, etc.

86M10086.2L

well, I am considreing the option of a rebuild, but seems unecessary at this point. Ironically enough when I went to the diesel shop to ask about the seals, the truck stopped leaking. He also told me he would change the seals and cheack the IP for $125 . It's been dry as a bone for two days with no problems. Maybe its just me...

acetomatoco

Sometimes, use is your best repair. For those who believe in the Christine syndrome, the threat of heart surgery on a Diesel may have scared the seals into shape.... Merry Christmas, Happy Hannuka, feliz navidad and all the rest...I am officially of duty for a while...well, maybe not, if i can find some wi-fi on the road...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
86M10086.2L said:
well, I am considreing the option of a rebuild, but seems unecessary at this point. Ironically enough when I went to the diesel shop to ask about the seals, the truck stopped leaking. He also told me he would change the seals and cheack the IP for $125 . It's been dry as a bone for two days with no problems. Maybe its just me...
Mine would leak when the engine was cold, then stop after about ten minutes of running........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks