• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Learn from my mistakes, the Otters will thank you!

wvhillbilly

the right thing

The Lisle company makes a great Transmission fluid drain pan that will fit nicely in a 5 gal. bucket. Its about 20 inches square and can handle large volumes easily. Advice from someone who runs a parts store.....:!:

ohnuts

It's called a kiddie pool and a magnet to fish around. Find someone who generates a lot of fine saw dust. It burns and is easier to handle than kitty litter.:idea:

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the old shop vac idea, but I just through one out :cry: I saw my local Jeep dealership has a $19.95 (for all Jeeps) oil change special. One of my deuces is a Jeep-kaiser???

tm america

i use a tub for mixing concrete its about 24inch by 40 inch and about 6inches deep it holds about 15 gallons and there is no chance of missing or it tipping over plus it slides nicely under the axle

wiggall

I like the old shop vac idea, but I just through one out :cry: I saw my local Jeep dealership has a $19.95 (for all Jeeps) oil change special. One of my deuces is a Jeep-kaiser???
I would like to know also how it turned out. As I too have a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 W/W.

gonorth

I was going to suggest cuting down a plastic 30 gallon drum, then saw the suggestion of cuting a 55. Either would be good, cut as high as you can with a sawzall then scrape the rough stuff off with a knife. You can usually talk any car wash into giving you one that their soap etc comes in. You could even get fancy any add some screen to catch the plug when you drop it. If you have the clearance you can even cut some large holes near the top for handles, if not then drill a couple small holes and add rope handles to it.

I just bought my first duece yesterday, pickup and oil change in about 10 days, I am really really glad I read this.

50shooter

I've learned my lesson from your experience. No more oil changes for me. I know my govt and they build good stuff. If these engines will run on Johnny, Jack, Jim and Jose then they should run with old oil. I'll throw it an oil filter or two every few years and clean out the "debris"

opie65

Two ideas.
1) Do the Fuel filters at the same time to keep the cleanup at one event.
2) Wet the surface down, the oil won't stick/soak into the floor.

If you keep the watter running the spillage goes away without sticking or making a puddle.. Right back into the ground where it came from. Dirt is nature's filter!

stampy

First off love the opening post very funny! If any of you need a 55 gal plastic barrel and are near me (20 miles South on 85 from the Va line in NC) I have tons of relatively clean(they had dye or adhesive in them but you can clean them easily) plastic barrels that you can use for waste oil, WVO, parts, dog houses, rain barrels, what ever. I normally ask 5-10$ each but if you are a SS member and want one I would give you one. More than one I would have to charge ya somethin:wink:. No I won't ship them LOL.

Pawnshop

The TM says 22qt, mine took 24qt. I guess 22qt is the starting point then you "season to taste" for your particular motor:) I got my filters (indirectly) from the local museum but they are available from OD Iron or eBay

MDSA

I did my first Deuce oil change last October and also "learned" the speed of hot oil spilling out of the oil pan. I caught my plug but the oil caught my hand and splattered all over me, but most went in the 5 gallon bucket I used. I drained the small part of the pan first. That way there was plenty of room for the oil before draining the larger portion of the pan.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
This whole thread was entertaining. I just changed mine this week. I used 5 gal buckets cool oil no lost plugs. I let the truck sit for at least an hour but still had oil in the filters. Thats where the mess came into play. 60# torque was not enough to stop the massive oil leak I had on one filter. A learning process for sure. I did get a very good tip from deuceman Troy in S.D. when you change the filters you can get to the 2 oil cooler hose much easier. 1 behind the fan and the other behind the filters. Time to check/change them too. Drain coolent to a level that won`t allow coolent to get to filter area when you pull the hose loose. install new hose, reinstall filter. Yes I used a large bag of cat litter.:roll: I think I beat myself up enough for one day.

OD_Coyote

I use (2) 5 gallon plastic buckets to change the oil on my deuce as well.
Also, I never heard of a deuce with a LDX-465 holding more than 22 quarts before.

Pawnshop

I put in two 2.5gal bottles of Rotella and 2 quarts of Lucas, drove it a few miles, shut off the motor and waited one minute as recommended on the dipstick and it read 2 quarts low, added 2 quarts and it has been just right every time I have checked it since. The two big bottles of Rotella were not sealed so they could have been short a quart when I bought them from the Tractor Supply, but other than that possibility I would say there are 24 quarts in my motor.

Sanityfade

Oil filter drain.

As for the oil filters they must have some valve to keep oil in them at least on my deuce. Even overnight draining they seemed full. There is a drain plug for the filter housing but it was tough to get a pan under. Next time i have it out i'm going to put a 3 or 4 inch long 1/4 in pipe thread nipple on it witha 90 degree end then the plug for that drain will be permanently where i can get a pan under it. Anyone think this will work? lol. Might happen soon since my rear oil filter didnt seal well and is dripping. very annoying. I'll have to put a new gasket in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks