• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaving Milwaukee heading to NC

kennys@wi.rr.com

Had a new member from NC come and get his M109A4 today and start heading back to NC. It's around a 900 mile trip home for him and his wife. They came up on their Harley and after some loading issues it's now strapped down in the back of the truck and off they went. They will be sticking to the interstate as much as possible. As I hear from them I will keep you all updated as to where they are. Please keep an eye out for them and if they may need help please do what you can for them.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well they made it as far as Danville, IN. The plan is to head through Indy tomorrow morning and through Charleston, WV on their way home. So far the truck is running good. The only issue is a burnt out headlight. If anyone along that path has a headlight they can get or knows of a place along the way to get one please let me know and I will pass that info along to him.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I just heard from them and they are having issue but seem to be very close to Clint in IN. I guess shortly after leaving his place to buy a headlight the front axle started smoking from what was described as the brakes. When I hear back from them I will post an update but it sounds like Clint was calling them back.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well it seems they are close to Louiseville, KY now and still having brake issues. The following is an email I just got from him. If anyone is down that way and can help please let me know ASAP.

Hi Kenny,

I spent a good chunk of money with Clint to square away my brake difficulty and
the problem resurfaced again only much worse when we got Into Louisville, KY.n.
I can give you the ugly particulars when we talk tomorrow.

I'm going to need a good mechanic down in this area - Louisville/Lexington (I'm
on I-64 between the two cities - closer to Louisville) who can pick up the truck
probably by tow and het the braking system overhauled with full attention to the
master cylinders and air packs.

Can you do me a real solid and take a look - ask on Steel Soldiers, who I might
turn to? I hate to just use the yellow pages. I'm just not proficient with
the workings of the site yet.

I'd appreciate any quick research you could do.

Thanks Bud - I'll call you in morning around 9pm or you can call me tonight only
if convenient for you.

Best regards,

Kirk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I called him shortly after you contacted me. I never heard back from him. Feel free to give him my number if the VM wasn't clear enough for him to understand it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he is having brake issues, please tell him to be carefull coming thru the mountains. Both WVa and TN/NC have some pretty good hills they will have to descend.2cents

kennys@wi.rr.com

Sorry for the delay but the wife and I are in MI and internet isn't easy to come by. Here is an email I got from him today. At least they are making it home. Just goes to show that the best laid plans for recovery can still fall apart. To all who do longdistance recoveries, please be careful and always have a back up plan. I'm so glad that he listened to me and had a chase vehicle of sorts along.

Hi Kenny,

Just to update you - we left the Truck in Kentucky and Clint is going to pick up
and overhaul Brake System for us. Will get back home on bike later today!

We're probably also going to have home do some customization on it too - I'll
keep you posted and learn how to use Steel Sold'rs website better this week!

Thanks for all the help Kenny!

Talk to you soon!

Best regards,
Kirk

WaterPro

Hi Everybody, Just an update about the trip East! The brakes wanting to stay locked on the duece was a reoccurring issue that was getting worse with time. Evidently the new air packs that Clinton installed didn't solve the problem. At this point we thought it best to have Clinton come get the truck and tow it back to his well appointed shop to overhaul the complete brake system and possibly replace the master cylinder. Luckily we were able to get the Harley off the truck using a local tow guy's roll-off and head back to NC on two wheels! Thanks Everybody for all the great help, will get update posted when we know the full nature of the breakdown and plans for the next attempt to get it home! -Kirk Phinney-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks