• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Light bar location

Celticlady

Getting ready to install a LED Light bar on my LMTV.

The question is were to put it?

Go high?

Go low?

Is there any real advantage to putting on top of the cab? My main concern is most off road will be in the woods. I had to trim all the trees just on my drive cuz they beating up my mirrors. Will a branch knock off the light bar? Will I be just blinding myself by illuminating all leaves right in front of my face?

The other location would be just under the windshield. It’s about 2 ft higher than the headlights. Is that enough?

If I lived in the desert I would go for high. But I live in the Ozarks

I have seen it done both ways.

What say you?

Ronmar

When you build your frame and cage to protect the windshield and front corners, you can attach it to that:)

i like just below the window for the reasons you mentioned, and it is still higher than most other 4wheelers are located:) if up top, I would want it inside the rack supported by the aforementioned frame...

Celticlady

When you build your frame and cage to protect the windshield and front corners, you can attach it to that:)

i like just below the window for the reasons you mentioned, and it is still higher than most other 4wheelers are located:) if up top, I would want it inside the rack supported by the aforementioned frame...
There is a aftermarket exoskeleton for the FMTV/LMTV now available. Its just under $2k. Hummmm. That has all of the above aformentioned

I asked the same question on FB Ark Fire fighter group. The subject of the light bar interfering with my red:white flasher bar pretty much settled the question.

Celticlady

There is a aftermarket exoskeleton for the FMTV/LMTV now available. Its just under $2k. Hummmm. That has all of the above aformentioned

I asked the same question on FB Ark Fire fighter group. The subject of the light bar interfering with my red:white flasher bar pretty much settled the question.
I’m getting it prepped now for the storms and flash floods tonight.

Third From Texas

I've not run lights up top yet, but test for windshield glare in the cab before you mount.

On many vehicles, illumination from above combined with the windshield angle can blind you.

If you go high (be it on just the cab or on a brush guard) allow room for a shield to be mounted under the light if needed.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In weather (heavy snow, fog, very hard rain, etc.), I've found having the lights as low as possible was best. Those kinds of weather reflect light, so if you have the lights high it just turns into a blinding ball off light right in front of the windshield. With the lights low, that illuminated area is right on the ground, which is only about as far out as you can see anyway.

Celticlady

#
I've not run lights up top yet, but test for windshield glare in the cab before you mount.

On many vehicles, illumination from above combined with the windshield angle can blind you.

If you go high (be it on just the cab or on a brush guard) allow room for a shield to be mounted under the light if needed.
3rd from Texas You have a LMTV with a canopy in your picture. What is the room INSIDE the canopy Height and width. Thinking about making a skid unite with a mini-camper trailer sideways. (like a Scamp) Taking off the axle/tongue and making a subfram to sit lower with fork life holes to put in on when going camping. If I have a OEM canopy that will cover the rest of the deck and wha-la I have my camp site on wheels.

Third From Texas

#

3rd from Texas You have a LMTV with a canopy in your picture. What is the room INSIDE the canopy Height and width. Thinking about making a skid unite with a mini-camper trailer sideways. (like a Scamp) Taking off the axle/tongue and making a subfram to sit lower with fork life holes to put in on when going camping. If I have a OEM canopy that will cover the rest of the deck and wha-la I have my camp site on wheels.
M1079 shop van but I also have an M1078 currently.

But there have been a lot of cool skid builds. And a few campers set on the back.

M1079 shop van with M1082 trailer (mine):

20201001_193706.jpg

Ambulance box:

60345781_10219611159692318_4533903284523499520_o.jpg
107907951_10208163509241376_4300209833791537659_n.jpg

Camper:

hunter-rmv-predator-66.jpg

download.jpg

S-280 shelter:

mrc69v in reis1.jpg

139776671_3921580274540752_6306071067208759520_o.jpg

Third From Texas

That last one is one of my favorites. He can drive out from under the camper (he also runs the truck as a snow plow).

Word of warning with RV campers/trailers. They are NOT make for off road. Modern RV's are quite literally held together with staples. And they don't overland in one piece very well. A LOT of modification is required to make a OEM camper hold together.

Celticlady

That last one is one of my favorites. He can drive out from under the camper (he also runs the truck as a snow plow).

Word of warning with RV campers/trailers. They are NOT make for off road. Modern RV's are quite literally held together with staples. And they don't overland in one piece very well. A LOT of modification is required to make a OEM camper hold together.

Thanks,

I hadn't thought about that aspect.

My trucks works to earn its keep. Its also a dump truck. Hauled 25 loads of gravel out of my neighbors creek. It gets used for wildfire respond with a tank/hose/pump skid unit. So I was looking for a quick, light, easy install. Like a modified (no axle or tongue) mini camper trailer ( there are some that the body is 8 ft long) that I can fork on the bed. It would fit under the canopy. It would get it out of the sun/rain. It would mostly be used for sleeping. The canopy would be the awning. Leave most of deck to sit/ cooking. A shelter in foul weather. But mostly a sun shad . Roll the sides up. I wouldn't be rock crawling. But there would be some mild trail rides. I live behind the BoonDocks so just getting to my house is "off road-ing". (See picture of my daily creek crossing) Spent the early evening at a call. The so-called main road, the bridge washed out 2 days ago. ( 2 pictures) So all the other responders had to go down my road. All they did was bitch!

My other concern is the height. The cab is tall enough that around my place its bashing it way through the lower tree branches. The camper/ canopy is higher than that.

So if the shebang is just going to fall apart....Hummm.... Going to have to rethink that.

I just found out that Wilderness Rider Buffalo Ranch is about 25 miles from my house. Might take some time and just go camping with a tent and see what its really like. I tell people that I live in cabin in the mountains with the coyotes and off road every day. No need to "go" anywhere to be rustic...They think I am just some girl on a gravel road.

Attachments

Third From Texas

I have been looking at the exoskeleton kit. Its $2k. Not sure that is going to make the priority list. I am reassessing the whole trail ride thing for now.
If you know any welders, talk to them before purchasing a pre-fab rack. Not knocking the kit, have only seen pics. But $2k buys a lot of weekend weldin' and bendin' and beerz.

When the time comes, I'll fab my own. I purchased a little welder and have been practicing "gluing metal." It's pretty simple stuff and good to know if you need to do a field repair. So my $2K will go to a welder, a bender, and a little plasma cutter and allow me to add volumes to my projects.

Celticlady

If you know any welders, talk to them before purchasing a pre-fab rack. Not knocking the kit, have only seen pics. But $2k buys a lot of weekend weldin' and bendin' and beerz.

When the time comes, I'll fab my own. I purchased a little welder and have been practicing "gluing metal." It's pretty simple stuff and good to know if you need to do a field repair. So my $2K will go to a welder, a bender, and a little plasma cutter and allow me to add volumes to my projects.

Yea $2K is a bit pricey. If it was closer to $1K I would have ordered it already just for the convenience of not reinventing the wheel.

Allergic to beerz. That just sucks.

I have been stick welding since 9th grade. Had a car project couple of years ago with a lot of sheet metal so bought a mig.

The problem is finding and getting materials out here past the boondocks. Ya get a lot of deer in the headlights looks.

I have watched the guy on utube build his.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea $2K is a bit pricey.
$2K is actually fairly inexpensive for custom or low-production-quantity welded racks. For example, you'll pay $2k for a Gobi Jeep rack, that they get to make thousands of. The commercial store-bought roof racks get to be cheaper by mass-production, and using thinner walled tubing and weaker bolt-together joints.

Celticlady

$2K is actually fairly inexpensive for custom or low-production-quantity welded racks. For example, you'll pay $2k for a Gobi Jeep rack, that they get to make thousands of. The commercial store-bought roof racks get to be cheaper by mass-production, and using thinner walled tubing and weaker bolt-together joints.
Ahh Clarification. You are correct. Its a matter of $$ in the bank account. I need to slow down with spending $$ on my toy at the moment. Had a few unexpected bills, like a new trans for the other truck, and transfer case in the Jeep.

I need to tract them and watch what other are saying and sometimes they may have a sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks