• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Pushbutton Switch Install

Notachance

I'm new (have had M998 for a week) and I'm sure I will be told to consult TM and get laughed at but I'm attempting to install the infamous push button switch. Yes I know there are two camps on if the switch is safe or not but I've decided to go for it. I've searched through posts here and google and haven't found this issue so assuming it's me just doing something wrong.

I disconnected battery. Removed old switch. Connected new one before installing, including great ground connection. Reconnected battery and it worked perfectly. Disconnected and tried to physically install but the four tabs for the screw holes on dashboard appear to be in the way of slipping oval section into place.

A trusted "advisor" told me it has to fit and I tried to force it , and one of the tabs broke off. I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy.

Any guidance other than call a professional, install original one and never try to fix anything myself again?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

DREDnot

If you insist on running that switch, you need to hack those tabs off.

They are there to space the lever type switch back further in the dash because it will be too close to the turn signal lever if it isn't. The push button switch is significantly shorter from its mounting plane to the top surface and doesn't need to be spaced back in the hmmwv application.

Attachments

twisted60

As mentioned above cut the tabs, I used a dremal with cutting wheel, I've had mine installed for a bout a year and love it,,,but make very sure you have a good ground on switch.

Notachance

If you insist on running that switch, you need to hack those tabs off.

They are there to space the lever type switch back further in the dash because it will be too close to the turn signal lever if it isn't. The push button switch is significantly shorter from its mounting plane to the top surface and doesn't need to be spaced back in the hmmwv application.
Great, thanks so much. Appreciate the help!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an awesome little thread.

I have one of these devices but I don't think I will install on my current rig. I have gotten used to the switch.

I'm planning on getting a second HMMWV, and if it has a bad switch, now I know what to do.

I wish Doghead remembered to remind the OP about the TM's . ;)

Ajax MD

To me, that stupid switch is part of the charm of military vehicles. I'm sure the push button is more convenient but I didn't get into this hobby for convenience.

papakb

Since these switches were introduced they've been nothing but a novelty and a true PITA at that! They were never a direct replacement requiring you to cut of break off the spacer tabs on the dash panel to install them which required you to use replacement spacers if you ever wanted to go back to the original 3 lever switch. On top of that the worst part about them is you have to look at it to use it. The 3 lever switches could be easily operated by touch, something you just can't easily do with the electronic switches. On top of that they have a nasty habit of burning up if the ground comes loose and HMMWVs have a terrible problem with grounding issues as it is.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take on this(completely speculative), AMG added the tabs to stop the installation of the new push button switch after they started burning trucks down.:unsure:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take on this(completely speculative), AMG added the tabs to stop the installation of the new push button switch after they started burning trucks down.:unsure:
Depends.... Did the A0 have those tabs? Me just wondering outloud.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Narton makes one specifically that fits the hmmwv with no alterations to the tabs. The back is different shape and depth. The front looks just like the other model.
Nartron 19207-12484558 ,mfr 32498 not the original manufacture Esterline advanced input system
Pics on my build Thread. Works great and no problems.

Found on ebay several years ago. Seller had like 6 and gone in a flash.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks