• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Led Strobes

ramdough

All,

Looking to add some LED strobes to the truck…. Like the construction trucks use (not a light bar, the small packs in the grill and tailgates).

Anyone have a quality, but affordable option?

I found lots of cheap Chinese ones, but do t want to waste time on ones that won’t last.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Looking to add some LED strobes to the truck…. Like the construction trucks use (not a light bar, the small packs in the grill and tailgates).

Anyone have a quality, but affordable option?

I found lots of cheap Chinese ones, but do t want to waste time on ones that won’t last.

Thanks!

I go with Truck-Lite or Grote brand. Those brands are OEM for these trucks anyway!

Check out Grote 78163 LED Directional Amber Surface Mount Strobe Lights 12v (4 pack) on eBay!
Check out 1 Pair (2) Truck-Lite Model 60 Amber LED Grommet Mount Warning Strobe Lights on eBay!

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Third From Texas

I've always run the Chinese ones as chase strobes on the rear of my pre-runners and sand rails.

I've installed white ones on two of my LMTVs as backup strobes (as well as b/u alarm and a white flood).

Never had one fail, actually.

Not any cheaper that the Grotes posted above, though.

Be sure to check your state laws (some colors are restricted).

Last edited:

ramdough

I go with Truck-Lite or Grote brand. Those brands are OEM for these trucks anyway!

Check out Grote 78163 LED Directional Amber Surface Mount Strobe Lights 12v (4 pack) on eBay!
Check out 1 Pair (2) Truck-Lite Model 60 Amber LED Grommet Mount Warning Strobe Lights on eBay!

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk
Bought the Grotes! Thanks!

I think they will look good and work well.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whelen is what we use on our patrol units.. pricey but they are also made in China.. Amazon strobes are much more affordable and work just fine..

ramdough

Placement question.

I was planning on 4 on the front and 4 on the back with two on each side.

Two “low” on the front, back, and sides (about 60” off the ground). Then two on the top front and back.

I am a little concerned that the two on the top front (above the windshield) will just reflect back into my face on foggy days when I might want them on. I could also move them way up to my camper box height, but they will be about 40” apart centered on the box.

Thoughts?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whelen is what we use on our patrol units.. pricey but they are also made in China.. Amazon strobes are much more affordable and work just fine..

You must be careful when buying strobes from either Amazon or Ebay as some sellers seem to think that strobe means flashing. I have some and what I got was lights that flash at about the same rate as hazard lights on a car (slow).

To me a strobe is what you see on an emergency vehicle and it will remind you of listening to Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in a smoky club.

(Yes, I'm that old)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Placement question.

I was planning on 4 on the front and 4 on the back with two on each side.

Two “low” on the front, back, and sides (about 60” off the ground). Then two on the top front and back.

I am a little concerned that the two on the top front (above the windshield) will just reflect back into my face on foggy days when I might want them on. I could also move them way up to my camper box height, but they will be about 40” apart centered on the box.

Thoughts?

Might be worth a look at the rules. There are some height restrictions on how high off the ground lights are required to be.

On the other hand, at least around here - I see all kinds of placement and the local PD doesn't even seem to enforce red light violations. Still, if you happen to be in the interstate, the federal enforcement folks might look at it differently.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from a ex LEO motor unit perspective, be aware certain colored readily visible lights from any angle are illegal. In Florida it's blue which is relagated to law enforcement only..strobe or constant still a no no. I installed amber colored strobes on the rear bumper for visibility/safety since I rarely take the truck over 40 mph and in a 55mph zone I create a bit of a hazard... visibility is your friend

ramdough

from a ex LEO motor unit perspective, be aware certain colored readily visible lights from any angle are illegal. In Florida it's blue which is relagated to law enforcement only..strobe or constant still a no no. I installed amber colored strobes on the rear bumper for visibility/safety since I rarely take the truck over 40 mph and in a 55mph zone I create a bit of a hazard... visibility is your friend
All of the strobes I bought are amber. In Texas, I see amber, blue, and white on construction trucks, but amber is by far the most prevalent.

I know from my drivers Ed way back when that red cannot face forward and blue should be a no-go, white should not face backwards…. So I think amber on any side is safe.

I think I am all good there.

Third From Texas

You must be careful when buying strobes from either Amazon or Ebay as some sellers seem to think that strobe means flashing. I have some and what I got was lights that flash at about the same rate as hazard lights on a car (slow).

To me a strobe is what you see on an emergency vehicle and it will remind you of listening to Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in a smoky club.

(Yes, I'm that old)
Easy way to tell is to look for the ones with a dozen or so strobe modes. In fact you can incorporate various strobe modes into the mix with the right switch or controller.

Third From Texas

All of the strobes I bought are amber. In Texas, I see amber, blue, and white on construction trucks, but amber is by far the most prevalent.

I know from my drivers Ed way back when that red cannot face forward and blue should be a no-go, white should not face backwards…. So I think amber on any side is safe.

I think I am all good there.

In Texas, amber is not an issue as long as non alternately flashing I think. Red, white, or blue ARE an issue for most civilian vics.

Unless you fit into the emergency vehicle category, school bus, or commercial tow truck you can and will be ticketed for certain colors in Texas. They don't even have to be operating to be a violation. That's why I mentioned it above (I had to remove several lights from my street-legal pre-runner car when it came from CA).

Just sayin'

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate a highway maintenance or service vehicle that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks