• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED's and Lumens, colors, best human visual spectrum .... and all the jazzzz

coachgeo

did a rather large search to see what was on the board already and didn't see much that got into the details of where LED may NOT be the best way to go beside power saving. Am no expert on the subject so just going to pass on below info that might enlighten some folk to when LED may not be best way to go for some types of lighting.

Anyone got specs on the Military LED's color ranges (K), lumens etc. of the lights used to illuminate a dark path? (head lights/Aux night lighting etc) Now the parking/convoy and brake lights etc. that is different but would still be interesting to know specs. Assume their main advantage is longevity but some must be- better view of each other's vehicles (particularly behind) us.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ng-for-the-Off-road-Adventure-and-Camping-Rig

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...pplications-require-unique-sae-standards.html

Kelvin-Scale-and-Color-Temperatures-of-Common-Lighting-Sources-Paint-Correction-Christoher-Brown.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When I went from incandescent to led, the difference was impressive! I attribute that to the color of the leds.

I have no numbers to post on them though, sorry.

gimpyrobb

Ahh, sorry. 1975 m35, trucklite head lights. I have the grote rear leds and trucklite front turn signals, but was mainly talking about the head lights.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A point once brought up was heat generation. Do they generate enough heat to keep from icing up in the winter?

gimpyrobb

They do produce heat, but I try not to drive in the winter to keep salt off the truck. I doubt they would have issues keeping accumulation off.

Shark Bait

I have the newer TruckLite's in my HET and I had the option of a heated or non heated version. I got the non-heated version because I don't drive it much. They are way brighter than the original headlights and a little brighter than the older TruckLites in my LMTV.image.jpg

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with Hella direct replacement housings with 55W Halogen bulbs. Plenty bright enough for 56 mph, however.. :not worthy:

If anyone is interested, check out Cyclops Adventure Sport. (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/). They produce LED replacement bulbs. I have used with great success on my KTM Rallye motorcycle with dual projector beams. They are plug and play and run around $60.00. Pretty much the ultimate fix when you need extreme output.

Pointman

Shark Bait

I went with Hella direct replacement housings with 55W Halogen bulbs. Plenty bright enough for 56 mph, however.. :not worthy:

If anyone is interested, check out Cyclops Adventure Sport. (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/). They produce LED replacement bulbs. I have used with great success on my KTM Rallye motorcycle with dual projector beams. They are plug and play and run around $60.00. Pretty much the ultimate fix when you need extreme output.

Pointman

I have a KTM 990ADV and ordered the European headlight. It is 50/100 watt versus 50/55 watt American (I believe are the correct values) much better than stock.

Dave

papakb

I've replaced almost every tail light bulb with 10-30 volt LEDs so that everything is interchangable and the trailers can be pulled by military and civy trucks without having to do anything to the lamps other than make up a pigtail so everything plugs into everything else. The one issue I have is finding an LED that isn't too bright for the running lights. As of right now all I've been able to do is paint black over the lamp to dim it down a little.

BTW coachgeo, lighting circuits are the same throughout the M series trucks so none of this is vehicle specific. The numbering follows a fixed set of specs and those can be found here:

http://olive-drab.com/od_mseries_circuits.php

Kurt
KG6KMJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks