• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left Battery cutoff switch on

robmcmichael

Ok, I am an idiot and left my ignition kill switch on and now my m998 wont start. I charged my batteries fully and now the ignition coil in the battery box sounds like it clicks on when I turn the kill switch on, but engine won't even start to turn over like I blew a fuse or something more serious. What could the issue be? It is probably something easy. Didnt see anything in the threads....

papakb

Without knowing how you wired the cutoff switch it's kind of hard to guess at what may have happened but generally when you remove power things don't go south on their own.

There is no "ignition coil" in a HMMWV being a diesel and the glow plug relay is up under the dash in front of the driver and that's the sound you usually hear wgeb you go to start the trucks.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also may have killed the batteries beyond charging....so just charging them won’t do any good, check the load on each battery, you can show a full charge and they won’t take a load...hence, click click click

robmcmichael

I unfortunately do not know how the company, Plan B Supply, wired the switch. It looks like it goes from the switch and then to the coil under the passenger side seat. It says coil on it so thats why I mentioned the coil. I would not recommend that company to anyone. It was convenient when I was in the desert and had the money and just go through them, but they just handed me a pile of garbage. I had the batteries charged at Autozone and they said it was completely dead and try to keep a trickle charger on them. I accidentally ordered a Protective Control Box instead of the Engine Electrical Start System Box. Does that matter or what am I missing? First M998, so don't yell too much when I make rookie mistakes.

papakb

You'll need to do some research here with the SS search function to figure out what combinations of Protective Control Bocx / Glow Plug Controllers and Electrical Start System / Temperature Sensors work together. They do need to be matched up to get everything to work together properly. Every generation of PCB/GPC and ESS/TS had advantages and disadvantages They will all work, some better than others.

robmcmichael

Stupid question, but are there certain part #s of PCB/GPC and EESS/TSU that work well together or do I just need a PCB/GPC 1ea or EESS/TSU 1ea? For instance I can't put a PCB with a TSU or the other way around...

kzeyus

Sometimes the simple things are overlooked... You say you took the batteries out and had them charged - Did you wire them correctly when you re-installed them? Picture might help someone here diagnose that portion.

Reactions: REF

robmcmichael

I'm at work right now, so I can't take a picture. My battery is wired in series with the 2 negatives jumpered together and the positives on the outside. It probably is the simplest things since this is my first diesel/M998 engine....

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
"My battery is wired in series with the 2 negatives jumpered together and the positives on the outside."

This is what I read? As in series like links in a chain. If as written, that's a problem. Well, really not. Equals ZERO +/- volts in a 24 volt system.

It could happen I guess, Rolling my eyes. Now if I read this wrong, ME BAD... again, CAMO :rolleyes:

robmcmichael

"My battery is wired in series with the 2 negatives jumpered together and the positives on the outside."

This is what I read? As in series like links in a chain. If as written, that's a problem. Well, really not. Equals ZERO +/- volts in a 24 volt system.

It could happen I guess, Rolling my eyes. Now if I read this wrong, ME BAD... again, CAMO :rolleyes:
So it sounds like I may be there idiot. When I get off work I will try swapping the terminals around and go from there....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks