• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left Hand Lugs?

Barrman

I just got back from making a scrap run to Bryan. I passed a NG 5 ton, 5 ton wrecker and HUMVEE on the side of the road. They had a flat front drivers side rear super single on the 5 ton. The wrecker was turned around and ready to pick up the rear of the other truck. 3 guys were hanging from a cheater bar when I passed them. The were trying to turn it counter clockwise.

45 minutes later and I was heading home. They were still there. All they guys were under a nearby shade tree drinking water. The blown tire was still on the truck. I felt like stopping to offer advice. However, I figured they knew what they were doing and wouldn't appreciate my help.

Do modern 5 tons have left handed threads on the drivers side? I don't know 5 ton numbers. These were the ones with the longer hood and wider front end. Not the old M35 size cab, but bigger.

littlebob

RE: Re: RE: Left Hand Lugs?

Well at least no one is shooting at them while they figure it out. Better to learn here than there.

littlebob

emr

this is funny!!... rofl ..but i know it happens alot with the kids driving them...heard many a story here in the dover NJ unit over the years...Randy

EO2NMCB

Ah no modern civ trucks ie freightliner,pete's, and kw's all have RH threads, tighten to 550-600 ft lbs. Just don't want some one to have the same problem with a civ truck that the NG guys had.

bottleworks

2007 Gillig and NABI transit buses still have LH lugs on the left. It is by no means gone.

Lugs nuts and studs are often marked.

steelandcanvas

I wonder if they felt as dumb as I did when they found out about left handed lug nuts?? I was in the Motorpool in Germany and one of the Motor Sargeants came up behind me and whispered "try turning it the other way". The studs do have a big "L" stamped on them, and I think the nuts are stamped also.

reuben

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Left Hand Lugs?

we used to have a 1960 half ton dodge pickup that had lefts on 2 wheels, but someone had swapped sides with one of them so lefts and rights were cross corners from each other. we bought that thing in 68 for $400 and drove it till in the 90's when i retired it, then used the old flat head engine on a sawmill edger for awile.

EO2NMCB

Westfolk here is what is listed from kenworth's web site, I can find no listing of a 2nd part # for LH theads for the screw on chrome lug nut covers, nor have I ever seen any at any of the chrome shops all over the country. Be it walcott I-80 or I-75 chrome shop in FL the two largest chrome shops.

Mirrex Front ABS Axle & Hub Cover - For 10 Hole Wheels
1 Cover, 1 Cap & 10 Nut Covers Per Kit

Convex

Part No. Description
GMX971
Convex Cover Kit For 10 Hole Wheels w/33mm Lug Nuts; Chromed Plastic

GMX971KW Convex Cover Kit w/Kenworth Logo For 10 Hole Wheels w/33mm Lug Nuts; Chromed Plastic

GMX973
Convex Cover Kit For 10 Hole Wheels w1-1/2" Lug Nuts; Chromed Plastic

GMX973KW
Convex Cover Kit w/Kenworth Logo For 10 Hole Wheels w1-1/2" Lug Nuts; Chromed Plastic

Cone Shaped
GMX1474
Cover Kit For 33mm Lug Nuts

Replacement Parts 250 Nut Covers Per Bulk Pkg

GMX975
Hub Cap Only - Front Axle (Convex)

GMX1119BK
Nut Covers For 33mm Lug Nuts - Bulk

GMX1124
Plastic Tool For 33mm Lug Nuts (shown)

GMX1121BK
Nut Covers For 1-1/2" Lug Nuts - Bulk

GMX1122 Metal Insert for 1-1/2" Lug Nuts

ABS Plastic Hub Caps & Lug Nut Covers

Beautiful styling
Beautiful chrome finish
Universal fit for most 11.25 inch and 285.75mm bolt circle applications.
Light weight
Easy to install
33MM have screw on lug nuts to retain axle cover
The lug nut covers have locking device to secure the axle covers

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Those are the little chrome covers for the lugs and hubs. The lugs and studs are still LH and RH rotation

EO2NMCB

33MM have screw on lug nuts to retain axle cover
The lug nut covers have locking device to secure the axle covers, it helps if you read the whole paste