• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left me stranded

partime

Well it happened, driving my M1009 to the parts store to pickup a $5 fuse. When I got back in the blazer, I turned the key and it made a sound like an old tubed television turning off. I tried the key again and nothing. So I switched the key to off and got on the phone to a mechanic friend of mine. While we were talking the starter began to make a distubing sound. It was spinning but not engaged to the flex plate. I immediately jumped out while all the horror stories I've read on here were running through my mind. I attempted to disconnect batteries but I was too late. The starter melted itself down. I had to be towed home.:sad: I have been reading the tm's and need a little direction. Any advice would be helpful.

Attachments

Last edited:

l1a1man

Starter relay went bad. Sorry to hear that. I have heard this happening and wonder if one reachs up under the dash and yanks the wires from the relay, can you save your starter?

partime

I was trying to move wires and pulling at battery cables..:x no luck. how to fix this so it never happens again

kipman

Friday night, same problem, I knew how to remove the relay, took about 60 seconds to find it in the dark, still fried the cellonoid, one week old gear reduction starter, took it back and told my rebuilder what happeded, he had a new one overnight for me to pick up on tuesday, that is why he gets all my business, he is not charging me anything.

Matt65

I have a keyed battery disconnect on my dash. Would throwing this work to save my starter should this happen? It has always been my plan in the event the glow plug malfunction. Guess I can plan on doing this for a bad starter relay too?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how you have it connected. I don't understand why you thought you needed it for a GP malfunction, do you have some way to know when you have a GP problem?

pinbill

If it is any consolation, went to start my truck today at costco after loading it with a bunch of food for work. and the starter made a noise like the solenoid was bad or the gears were stripped. turns out one of the bolts broke, had to get towed also. a shop drilled out the old bolt put and new one in, at least i made it home tonight:-? good luck with your truck

partime

NO consolation Pinbill.....I want no one to go through {The Battle of the STARTER}
But after geting on here I've calmed down and when the weather gets better I'll Fix her..

Matt65

Depends on how you have it connected. I don't understand why you thought you needed it for a GP malfunction, do you have some way to know when you have a GP problem?
I watch the Volt meter to know that they have went through their cycle correctly and then turned off before hitting the road.

l1a1man

My part will be in tomorrow. Gonna convert even though I have had no problems. This is the third truck in two weeks I have seen this happen to. Cheaper to convert now than replace all the broke stuff later.

mezc

For all out there that did not have the time for doghead's mod or do not want to modify the starter relay, the minimun thing you have to do is change the original relay for the same model, is like $8 dlls vs big melting nightmare, it's a no brainer :cookoo: