• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left the ACC switch on, no room for running start.

Brentzilla

Soo I left the Acc. switch on in the Deuce for a few days before I noticed it. :? Its not parked in a place that I can do the running start, and from what I have read I cant really jump it with my SUV and regular jumper cables (correct me if someone has found a way). Would I be able to take the two batteries out, go to Autozone and get them to charge them both, then hook both back up and run?

I need the truck tomorrow so I can go get it painted.

Any thoughts on getting it started would be great without having to buy a 24v charger tonight if I can help it.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try using jumpercables, to charge each battery for about 10 minutes each, then try starting it.

To be clear, use a normal 12 volt vehicle with jumpercables, and connect to one battery at a time. Connect the jumper cables to the same terminal, at each end(like a normal jump).

The idea here is to simply charge your batteries, one at a time, with the jumping vehicle.

Use caution and wear eye protection while making your connections. Do not let the jumping vehicle touch the truck.

This should get you running in about 20 minutes. More time than tow starting but doable alone.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try using jumpercables, to charge each battery for about 10 minutes each, then try starting it. To be clear, use a normal 12 volt vehicle with jumpercables, and connect to one battery at a time. Connect the jumper cables to the same terminal, at each end(like a normal jump). The idea here is to simply charge your batteries, one at a time, with the jumping vehicle. Use caution and wear eye protection while making your connections. Do not let the jumping vehicle touch the truck. This should get you running in about 20 minutes. More time than tow starting but doable alone.
Ditto on what Doghead said - he is dead on. As Doghead mentioned, do not try to start the Deuce - only charge the batteries one at a time with the jumper cables.

I have a suggestion on how to prevent leaving the ACC switch on by accident. Get in the habit of turning the ACC switch, heater blower switch (if you have a heater), convoy light, etc. off prior to pulling the fuel cutoff. Never pull the fuel cutoff first.

Brentzilla

Ditto on what Doghead said - he is dead on. As Doghead mentioned, do not try to start the Deuce - only charge the batteries one at a time with the jumper cables.

I have a suggestion on how to prevent leaving the ACC switch on by accident. Get in the habit of turning the ACC switch, heater blower switch (if you have a heater), convoy light, etc. off prior to pulling the fuel cutoff. Never pull the fuel cutoff first.
Ill give that a try before I pull the batteries then. I usually kill the ACC switch before the fuel cut off, but either I turned it back on to check something, or possibly one of my neighbors in the complex was playing with the truck. Ive started using the combat lock on the pass. side, but I guess its time to do the same for the drives and leave the windshield unlatched.

Thanks everyone [thumbzup]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent advise, drgreg.

And no need to disconnect the battery terminals to charge the batteries, as described above(by me).

rlwm211

You can jump start the truck with two vehicles. Make sure the "booster" vehicles are apart a bit. Connect one to one battery, using the normal positive to positive and negative to negative. Then connect the second vehicle to the second battery, the same way.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TWO TRUCKS OR THE DEUCE AT THE SAME TIME.

There is a difference in potential between all of them because of the 12 volt - 24 volt thing.

Once you have two good supplies of 12+ volts connected, the truck should start. If not, you may need to charge them for a minute or two then try the starter.

I did this to get my deuce started when I first got it.

Another option as was pointed out above is to charge one battery for 10 minutes or so, switch to the second battery for the same time and then with the cables connected to one battery try to start it.

Just remember that if you elect to use two different 12 volt sources at the same time you must keep them isolated from each other and the deuce.

RL

Last edited:

AceHigh

Ill give that a try before I pull the batteries then. I usually kill the ACC switch before the fuel cut off, but either I turned it back on to check something, or possibly one of my neighbors in the complex was playing with the truck. Ive started using the combat lock on the pass. side, but I guess its time to do the same for the drives and leave the windshield unlatched.
Brentzilla, it is real easy to put locking door handles on. I bought one set over a year ago, and two more sets this week. All 3 are keyed alike, so one key gets me into all 3 trucks!

Good luck on getting her running.

rlwm211

You can make your deuce more secure with a battery cut off switch. These are used on lots of Industrial equipment and you can install one near the batteries in the floor of the pasenger seat and remove any possibility of anyone starting your truck.

Jatonka has them, and I know you can get them from other vendors and suppliers.

RL

AceHigh

AceHigh, would you share your source for locking door handles?
(Sorry for the off topic, but it may help)

Truck Equipment, Truck Bodies, Truck Accessories & Equipment Parts - Kaffenbarger Truck Equipment Ohio Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, New Carlisle, Sunnyvale Texas

[B2394L] (B2394L) Outside Surface Mount "L" Type Door Handle 4 0 % USD 31.32
(B2394L) Outside Surface Mount "L" Type Door Handle - Truck Equipment, Truck Bodies, Truck Accessories & Equipment Parts - Kaffenbarger Truck Equipment Ohio Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, New Carlisle, Sunnyvale Texas

Must be shortened about 1/4". holes slightly elongated and sometimes the door has a place that has to be drilled out a little.

wb1895

I have used two vehicles to start my deuce before. Just hook one vehicle up to each battery on the deuce and let it sit for 5 minutes and start up the deuce. Worked like a charm for me.

rlwm211

The biggest risk is to the vehicles that are providing the jump to the military 24 volt vehicle.

If you think about it, the number one vehicle providing the jump is powering one battery but appears at the opposite polarity to the other vehicle. In essence, the positive of the first battery is at the same potential as the negative of the second vehicle. If they are "shorted together" it is a dead short accross the entire electrical system of the other.

Additionally, DC although low in voltage can be very dangerous in high amperage situations.

I would ask, ever been bit by a DC welder? Can you say ouch???

Safety says when you do jump a deuce or any 24 volt vehicle with two batteries using two vehicles, keep them from touching and try to avoid bridging the vehicles with your body, which is made much worse with wet conditions.

Just trying to keep folks from getting hurt, or causing damage to their vehicles.

RL

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I have slave cables I don't have to jump start very often.

I do have a set of marine batteries I keep in case I have to start a 24 volt vehicle and don't want to drive a deuce to the site.

I have a set of jumper cables made out of welding cable.....smaller cables can get roasted jumping 24 volt vehicles.

If your batteries are completly discharged and you jump the vehicle off you can ruin the alternator by running it with the dead batteries....sometimes you get lucky and this won't happen but alternators are expensive and hard to chage out.

Ask me how I know.:roll:

Farmun

This may not be the best/safest method, but I have used one 1000 CCA battery to boost the Deuce. I connected to ground post on one battery and to positive post on the other. Let it sit for a few minutes, then she fired right up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks