• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leg room m35a2 with spring seat

greenjeepster

Because this question comes up all the time I thought I would start an easily searchable thread with measurements in it.

So the Maximum drive leg room in a Deuce with a spring seat is 38 inches. That is 4 inches less than a 2001 Geo Metro. This was measured with the seat all the way back and the lumbar support all the way in. Measuring from the base of the fuel peddle, to the front of the seat you have 21 inches.

There are several adjustments that can be made to the spring seat.

Lumbar I already mentioned and can be adjusted to gain 2 inches.
The base of the seat has two adjustments to it. The first angles the rear of the seat upwards or down and the second angles the front of the seat upwards or down, the second can gain you one inch in leg room from the peddle to the front of the seat, but does not change the overall Maximum leg room of 38 inches.

The tension of the spring can be adjusted using the crank on front of the seat, this also does not gain you any legroom. It just serves to increase or reduce the amount of bounce in the seat.

You can alter your positioning while driving by occasionally adjusting the back or base of the seat. This will aid in comfort over a box style seat as you are able to shift how you are sitting without physically having to shift yourself in the seat.

Attachments

jdr2710

Just to add some anecdotal evidence to go along with your excellent empirical:

I'm 6'4" and I do fit, not with a great deal of comfort but I am able to operate my deuce with spring seat decently. The longest I have spent in the seat, with very regular stops to get out and stretch, was about 8 hours (back and forth to the landscape place for driveway gravel).

gerrykan

I made a thiner back pad to get me alittle farther away from the steering wheel.
I'm 5' 10" and about 175 so I fit better than others, but still didn't like hugging the wheel.

I replaced the original back cushion, with a piece of 1/4" plywood.
Then cut a high density foam sleeping bag mat to fit the plywood.
The foam was then stapled to the plywood.
After a test drive, I cut a couple of foam pieces to slide between the wood and previously installed foam for some lumbar support.

No pictures because I was going to make a better one, and add a canvas cover.
I sold the truck before that happened, and the new owner reinstalled the original backrest.

tco3129

I can't believe I hadn't thought of removing the seat backaua.Reading another thread the other night got me to try it. 1/4 plywood a little wider than frame. Bowed it and stuffed it in. Works great. Since it's winter and I have a coat on I use no pad. Steering wheel doesn't rub the belly anymore.:D

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All I am going to say is "air ride" or a seat from a IH truck with a standard cab that has similar cab space. That is unless your wanting to keep the uncomfortable military seat. I chunked mine out into the yard a few days ago, with pleasure.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My theory about how military vehicles are designed is that a 5' 2" Phillipino ex-drill sergeant spec's the cab space for vehicles. I haven't been in a military vehicle yet that has had any thought at all given to someone remotely close to 6' tall.

rtadams89

Found this thread looking for a resolution to my present issue, so figured I'd revive this thread.

I don't have an issue with the leg room or steering wheel, what I have an issue with is the height of the seat. I have to duck down to see out the windshield. Has anyone done a mod to the stock seat to limit the maximum height? I'm thinking of replacing the current bumpers that limit the maximum vertical travel with a welded on nut and using a bolt to adjust the maximum vertical travel to something less...

winfred

thinking about aluminum bomber seats for mine, but i am 6'1" and fat so the average one aint wide enough, maybe one of these https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/20900/SEAT-ALUMINUM-21-ECONOMY-20-LAYBACK-BIG-BOY with a little modification, currently i don't have a hard back on the seat just a pocketed pad slipped over the hoop of the spring seat, gives enough room to keep belly off wheel, a thiner base pad may help with the tall in the same way

rtadams89

I'm going to revive this thread again, as I still havn't found an "easy" fix to my issue. I want to keep the stock spring seat, but lower the maximum height of it by about 1-2 inches. Any suggestions?

rustystud

I'm going to revive this thread again, as I still havn't found an "easy" fix to my issue. I want to keep the stock spring seat, but lower the maximum height of it by about 1-2 inches. Any suggestions?
I kept the stock base but added a "air-bag" in place of the large spring. I then put a Jeep seat on that. Works great. I also plan on adding a 18" steering wheel which will give me 2" of room.

gentrysgarage

I kept the stock base but added a "air-bag" in place of the large spring. I then put a Jeep seat on that. Works great. I also plan on adding a 18" steering wheel which will give me 2" of room.
Looking forward to a new Rustystud tech article! hint hint LOL!

Let us know the part numbers when you do.

Thanks!

dmetalmiki

If it helps, I have loads of room. (As) I moved the steering wheel and column up 2", Re drilled the panel and refit the assembly at that pitch. Then, I 'removed' the width of the the rolled over metal (behind the seat) back to the the back of the cab. Trimmed it. Put a comfortable Citroen BX seat in for comfort right back to the (Now) back of the cab, And now there is plenty of room. (Even 'though' I am 5'10' 154.ILB's!).

Last edited:

M35a2duece

I loosened up the spring pressure all the way with the crank. Same problem... Too tall. So I reached around in back and put a ratchet strap in there wrapped around things and tightened it down to pull the seat down... It works ok. It was a low effort factor fix to allow me to not have to look thru the wiper motor thing to see straight ahead

rtadams89

I loosened up the spring pressure all the way with the crank. Same problem... Too tall. So I reached around in back and put a ratchet strap in there wrapped around things and tightened it down to pull the seat down... It works ok. It was a low effort factor fix to allow me to not have to look thru the wiper motor thing to see straight ahead
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm trying to visualize how you did this with a ratchet strap, as this sounds like a fix that would work for me. What did you put the strap around? The seat frame at the "top" I assume, but what at the bottom/floor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks