• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal bumper height?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured 32 inches on the front bumper of my stock deuce (9.00x20). IL and many other state's vehicle codes read:
"It is unlawful to operate upon any highway of this State any vehicle with a front bumper height that exceeds 28 inches or a rear bumper height that exceeds 30 inches, regardless of the GVWR of the vehicle."

My bobbed deuce is getting 1400x20's real soon which will increase that height by ~6 inches. My frame to floor height is also exceeded (law states 22"max) on both trucks.

My question is has anyone had a run in with the law reguarding this? Particularlly in IL.? The law also states:
" For any vehicle with bumpers or attaching components which have been modified or altered from the original manufacturer's design in order to conform with the maximum bumper requirements of this section, the bumper height shall be measured from a level surface to the bottom of the vehicle frame rail at the most forward and rearward points of the frame rail. The bumper on any vehicle so modified or altered shall be at least 4.5 inches in vertical height and extend no less than the width of the respective wheel tracks outermost distance.

Anyoneone see a way around this? Or am I missing something?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case I'm thinking of a way to protect the underside of the front of the truck from any vehicles that might slip under it due to their own negligence.

gt1009

I thought that IL code only applied to vehicles under 9k GVWR. 7500-9000k have the 28/30 regulation, and lighter trucks have a lower bumper height law. From what I gather though, the deuce should be exempt from this.

KaiserJeep715

if a five o pulls you over for that he's got nothing to do. i can say that because i was one... bigger fish in the sea than a dude driving an MV. my two cents

crazyplowboy

Here in Ohio they have the same laws about bumper height. The laws do not apply to Antique/ Historical vehicles, as long as they are not modified such as lifting or bigger tires. I really don't think that if you were to put larger tires on it that it would be unlawful. As long as it is something that the military would do to their vehicles.

grounded

Banned
Ohio though if your truck has a GVWR of 10,001# or more its exempt from the bumper height law. SO our trucks still are free and clear. NOT that anyone ever says much. But at same time it allows just ways to get threw the loop holes ;)

Bighurt

I'm still trying to sift through all the legal jargin in IL. Have not found anything yet.
In ND the law specifically relates to "modified Motor vehicles" in which case in regards to bumper height. However this section only applies to vehicles that have a dry weight before modification of 7000lbs or less.

However certain other requirments are covered under other regs, for example the reg covering fender flares defines "motor vehicle" in the intro. That defenetion is an unladen vehicle weight 4500 lbs or less. Therefore that law doesn't pertain to vehicles over the limit.

When the law specifically refers to something often that something is defined earlier in the text. Its important that your something meets that defenition otherwise you are exempt.

Cheers

Midnight Rider

Ya, IL laws suck in the area of lifted trucks.

However, as long as you don't give them a reason to pull you over, they won't do anything about it.

I know for a fact that there are several lifted trucks that are not legal in my area, yet the cops don't do anything about it.

Now, if they pull you over for something else, they might get you for the height issue too.

Obey all the traffic laws when in the cops are in the area and you should be fine.

Bighurt

Obey all the traffic laws when in the cops are in the area and you should be fine.
Not all body laws are under the realm of non moving violations. Some infractions are guilty without prior infraction. Meaning they can pull you over for it. Most states vehicle dimensions are allowed to be pulled over directly. Usually due to head lamp or tail light heights. Because they ignore lifted trucks doesn't mean your free and clear.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I talked with the Secretary of State Police in length today. Long story short, in IL a stock deuce IS illegal to drive IF you do not have a CDL, AND the truck does not have commercial tags with an annual inspection (section 18b). The only other option is if it is owned and driven the military. No other way around it. AND violation of this is a class C misdemeanor in which the driver is subject to arrest, fines, and the vehicle would be impounded! So I guess even putting larger tires make you an even bigger target. Any lawyers on here?

Bighurt

CDL required in a lot of states regardless of use. The states gotta make some cash on the abuse a 13K vehicle makes on the road.

Its required here in ND as well...

Michael

How did a bumper height question turn into a lot of states require a CDL to drive a deuce? I have never heard anyone say a deuce needed a CDL except in CA and even that is open to some debate.