• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal questions

Wick246

I did a little research on the DMV site here for Utah. I was worried about how hard it would be to get a Deuce registered and plated here. My biggest concern is the tires, rims and whether or not they are DOT approved. In the states handbook for safety inspections I found the following:

C. RESTRICTED MARKINGS
Tires must be checked for "restricted usage only" markings.
REJECT vehicle when:
Tires are marked "for farm use only", "off-highway use only", "for racing only",
“for trailers only” or other non-highway use.

Do non directionals have any such markings on them? Do the 395 Michelin's? If they do pass inspection would I be fined later on for not having DOT approved stuff on? Apparantely it's not too big an issue but I want to make sure before I make the leap and purchase.

Also one other section on lifted trucks states this:

2. Check vehicle lift. (Utah Lift Law Title 41-6a-1631 UCA)
REJECT vehicle when:
a) Frame height is greater than 24 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR less than

4,500 lbs.
b) Frame height is greater than 26 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 4,500 lbs. and less than 7,500 lbs.
c) Frame height is greater than 28 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 7,500 lbs. or more.

I'm guessing that the frame on a stock Deuce may already be higher than 28" and if I put 46" tires on it... :roll: :roll:

da_sgt

Wick246,

First I 'm not sure on the Utah laws, so I can only say what goes on here next door in Colorado. I did not have to get a DOT inspection for either one of my deueces. The only time I would have to was if it was being used for a "commercial" purpose. Next the NDT'S don't have a "restricted" brand on them so you should fine with that. Now on the "lifted" law, this varies tons from state to state. Some years back the CHP did a crack down in the Grand Junction area(on the way to Moab). They issued warnings to any "lifted" truck because as the statue was written it had stated you could not modify any suspension from the factory. This rasied alot of concern with the offroad shops because it would put them out of business. Don't know if they ever changed the law, or if they just ignore it now. My point being is the frame height on a deuce is between 31 and 32 inch's, but it's not a "lifted" vehicle, thats a stock height. Maybe some of the guy's over there in Utah with deuces will chime in and answer your questions from first hand knowledge :wink:

Boatcarpenter

What if you just register it as an antique or special interest, It is what it is , and won't have to conform to any current laws. Many states have those provisions. Mine, for example, in NH, is registered as a green Kaiser flatbed with a list price when new as $13,709. It's registered as an antique and has to be inspected in April, whereas in NH your daily driver has to be inspected in your birth month. I drove mine to be inspected and the guy said "Does everything work?" and I said yes and he put a sticker on. Just a thought.

Wick246

They do have historic and special interest plates, but they still have to have the same safety and emissions inspection requirements every year.

I'm not sure how they measure the frame height. I have heard that they measure from the lowest point they can find. If they count the suspension fittings then it should be fine. If not I don't think they will be looking for it on that kind of truck anyway's as da_sgt pointed out the suspension isn't really lifted.

I think it will be fine, I wish their were some other guinea pigs here though!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Colorado, when you register your 'antique' vehicle thats older than 25 years (in less than ten days thats all deuces that I'm aware of), it must pass the emissions for it's year vehicle. Which means if it's older than a 1972, there are none.

You ONLY have to do that prior to getting the antique plates. You pay for five years at a time. You never EVER have to have it passed through emissions again. Just send in your $175 every five years ($35 x 5) and you're cool.

At least that's what two DMV offices locally told me.

bozozimbo

I was told Utah DOES NOT have special interest or antique plates. Im still running my Nevada plates til they run out.....then I will have to get the state inspection and the whole rigamarole.

jimbo

bozozimbo

bozozimbo said:
I was told Utah DOES NOT have special interest or antique plates. Im still running my Nevada plates til they run out.....then I will have to get the state inspection and the whole rigamarole.

jimbo
I just went and checked the Utah DMV site. They do have special interest plates...which do nothing for the holder....all the same fees and state inspections apply. To be legal for true antique plates the truck must be 40 years old...and.....the same fees and inspections apply.
Im gonna keep my Nevada plates.

jimbo

ida34

Jimbo,
You can probably get away with it but most states require you to get new plates and driver's license within 30 days from taking up residence in the state. The problem comes in when you get stopped and have a Utah DL and Nevada plates. You can probably get by but I don't think you will be legal in the strictest sense. I don't know Utah laws specifically but I would be highly suprised if they don't require the DL and plate change.

Chuck

bozozimbo

ida34 said:
Jimbo,
You can probably get away with it but most states require you to get new plates and driver's license within 30 days from taking up residence in the state. The problem comes in when you get stopped and have a Utah DL and Nevada plates. You can probably get by but I don't think you will be legal in the strictest sense. I don't know Utah laws specifically but I would be highly suprised if they don't require the DL and plate change.

Chuck
Im sure youre right Chuck. It just seems a shame I moved to the only state in the nation that doesnt do anything special for antique autos.
Ive still got four months onmy Nev plates.

jimbo

bozozimbo

ida34 said:
Jimbo,

Chuck
Im sure youre right Chuck. It just seems a shame I moved to the only state in the nation that doesnt do anything special for antique autos.
Ive still got four months onmy Nev plates.

jimbo

Trango

Wallew,

I still have to get an emissions test every time I register, and that goes for anyone within Denver metro... maybe not a colorado thing, but definitely a Denver thing. :(

Merry Christmas, guys...
Bob

ida34

Jimbo,
I move from TN five years ago. I had just purchased plates for all my vehicles in September and moved in October. I had to get new plates all around. I could not "get by" as I am a LEO. They kind of check these things when you start work. I also have to "set an example". My uncle has one plate for all four of his trailers. He just keeps changing them when he uses one. He probably wont have a problem but I must get plates for all my trailers. How can I give out tickets for this stuff if I am not squared away myself. Another one of my relatives has plow trucks that have not been registered in probably 5 years. He just makes sure to back into a snow bank when he leaves the property. I just don't want your truck ending up impounded by an over zealous state trooper and have you walking home with a handful of tickets and a $500 tow and impound bill. Here we will not let you have the car until the paperwork is right and the whole time storage charges are racking up. I am lucky and got my truck registered as an historic vehicle. $15 for 10 years. My restrictions are that I not use it as everyday transportation. I almost had trouble getting it plated because the new clerk could not get over the fact that this 1969 "jeep" had never had a title issued and how could a "jeep" be 13,000 pounds. She was then blowing a gasket over the weight and my only having to pay $15 for 10 years. I came prepared with the state law that allowed my transactions and was about to bring them out when the older lady at the office looked over and continually told the girl to just key it in and get me my plate. I can only guess what she would have done if I had bought a Sherman Tank. While Michigan has alot of firearms restictions the military motor vehicles are alot easier to deal with. I wish you luck.

PS
I won't dime you out if you do keep your NV plates until they expire.

bozozimbo

PS
I won't dime you out if you do keep your NV plates until they expire.[/quote]

from a former cop to a current one....thanks man. :eek:)

jimbo

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can just see a deuce going through a emmisions test!!! Try giving Bret at boyce equipment a call. They are in ogden. He can tell you what utah requires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks