• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal use of veggie oil as a fuel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biodiesel is available commercially and certain amounts of the homemade variety is permitted to be used legally, but what about veggie oil, used or fresh? I don't believe it's considered a legal fuel in any amount (other than as an additive), so does anyone know how to legally use WVO or VO?

Thanks,

David_4x4

Re: RE: Legal use of veggie oil as a fuel

mangus580 said:
My suspicion is that you will need to track gallons used, and pay your local taxes per gallon....
That's kinda what I was thinking. I dont think you'd have any issues using it as on off-road fuel. But once you start roaring down the highways using it. The govt starts worrying about not getting their tax money.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Legal use of veggie oil as a fuel

mangus580 said:
My suspicion is that you will need to track gallons used, and pay your local taxes per gallon....
I'm sure of that, but which form does one use, what is the accepted procedure?

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Legal use of veggie oil as a fuel

Well the problem there I think is going to be the variation state to state. Have you investigated on any of the WVO forums?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guys at the bio station here in houston tell me that it can only be used as a additive. Ant that's why they only sell B99.9. There has to be some diesel to avoid taxes. But if there is no die in the fuel then how can they say it's not a additive or untaxed?

superburban

ken said:
The guys at the bio station here in houston tell me that it can only be used as a additive. Ant that's why they only sell B99.9. There has to be some diesel to avoid taxes. But if there is no die in the fuel then how can they say it's not a additive or untaxed?
His understanding is not 100% accurate. They only sell B99.9 to collect on a tax incentive that only goes to "biodiesel blends", even when they have negligable amounts of diesel. The incentive is worded that the fuel blender gets 0.01$ per percent biodiesel made from virgin oilstock, and 0.005 (1/2 a penny) per percent biodiesel made from used oils.
The "it's only an additive" theory is wrong. All fuel additives sold in the parts stores and truck stops and service stations have already had the tax paid on them. It is included in the price.

As far WVO usage goes, it is not approved by the EPA, so according to them, it is illegal. BUT if you are using it a motor-fuel on-road, the IRS wants their cut. Your state also wants to dip their fingers in that. As long as you are not in an emissioned state (or county of Utah), the EPA will have a hard time ferreting you out. Your state is probably going to be a lot more proactive at going after you for their fair share (it is fair because you are using the public road, after all) of of the road tax than the IRS is.

The best advice is to keep your yapper shut.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
superburban said:
... All fuel additives sold in the parts stores and truck stops and service stations have already had the tax paid on them. It is included in the price.......
Good, we are getting somewhere. :D

Is there some way to know if/how this tax has been paid? The images below show the front and back of the Heet jug, a fuel additive, I can't see any indication that the road tax is included in the price, please enlighten me.

Heet is almost 100% methanol, your car could run on it.

I'm also curious to know how road tax is paid on battery powered cars charged on house currrent....

I'd like to add that the reason for this thread is find an easy way to pay the road tax, not to avoid paying it.

Attachments

dabtl

I have been involved in major road fuel tax cases. All fuel pumped from a terminal for vehicle use is taxed and paid by the buyer.

The government is not interested in quart purchases, hence no tax on the 'additives.'

My guess is that if you began to buy large quantities of veggie oil for fuel, the producer would have to alert the tax man or face problems of 'conspiring' to avoid the motor vehicle fuel tax.

The most common tax dodge used to be buying diesel for 'boiler' or 'off road use' purposes and then putting it into the semi. Now, with the color added to the non-taxed diesel, that is much easier to catch.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Dabtl.
I have googled "tax incentives" for alternate fuels, but have not come up with anything current, are there any at this time? It would be interesting to know how an incentive would mesh with road tax for same....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks