• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legality of a Deuce in IL, and is 40k miles too much?

ichudov

I am in IL and a local base has a Deuce for sale. I am not sure if I want it, because upon a cursory look at it, it seems to have some problems.

But my question is the legality of it in IL. Do I need a Class C license? SECONDLY, assuming that I am properly licensed, is it legal to drive it off the GL lot? Or do deuces need modification in IL to make them street legal?

I frankly want to buy one, play around and drive kids in it, and then sell. I like military equipment in general and my personal trailer is a modified M105A2.

Also, is 40K miles too much to deal with?

thank guys!

firebuilder

You need a Class C, non-commercial, CDL or better to legally drive it because of the weight (similar to the chauffeurs license I had in Michigan, but with more written and road testing required here in IL). However, there is still some question, which I have yet to see resolved on these boards, as to whether it will meet the bumper/frame height requirements in IL (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/31496-legal-bumper-height.html) unless it is registered as a commercial vehicle. My gut says "no". Registering it as a commercial vehicle has it's own share of issues and requirements such as inspections, log books, fuel tax, physicals, insurance, etc. If those are not problems for you then you can go that route. Then you have your local laws and ordinances that will primarily deal with your ability to keep the vehicle at your home, if that is your plan.

There are a lot of people on here from IL that own a deuce/5-ton, have it registered non-commercial, plated in various ways, and drive them. As a disclaimer, I do not have one - I don't want to find out the details when I'm being sued after an accident.

I'd love to know if there is a way to legally operate these trucks in IL without going the full commercial route. My only thought is the possibility of registering the truck as commercial with commercial insurance, but operating in a non-commercial manner (no paid loads) may avoid needing to deal with things like higher class licenses, log books, fuel stickers, etc. and concerns about the frame/bumper height requirements. So far though, most of the responses to such a question have been along the lines of "just don't give them a reason to pull you over and you'll be OK."

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I have four of them they have AV plates on them for doing parades and some local driving.If you want to plate it for driving all the time or hauling with it go with the MF plate which is a mileage F plate.The plate is 240 dollars and you get to drive it 6000 miles or less per year before you have to pay the big money for going over the alloted miles most guys dont put on over 6000 a year anyways.With an F plate you will have to have it inspected every six months even though your not commercial I have gulfway for insurance very reasonable.The biggest thing is dont be vague or assume the insurance company knows what kind of truck you have and what your going to do with it then it will be insured properly.Get it all insured and plated correctly and you will have no more issues than driving a large green car through the traffic around here assuming you have driven a deuce and know how to handle them.If you have not driven one ask someone local to you to help you out there is many of us in illinois who would help you out getting experience driving these to keep you,me and the motoring public safe and to prevent any black eyes to our hobby. Most of us know how the news hounds like to blow things way out of proportion for ratings most are scare mongers now to rile up the law and and make us the villians we have seen it many times now if we dont cause a problem then we wont have some idiot make it his or her personal crusade to get our trucks off the road.

Last edited:

hdexpert

Don't think twice about the miles, you have no way of telling if they're correct. Have someone that knows deuces go with you to give it the once over. In my opinion it's better to have one that's been driven. The ones that do a lot of sitting tend to have more issues. Good luck!!:-D

flyxpl

I would be more afraid of a truck with actual low miles than higher mileage . All these trucks probably sit too much , which gives them problems . The low mileage can have more problems then the higher mileage trucks . Just recovered two trucks with no brakes . The one with 35000 miles I just added dot 5 , next day it was good to go . The truck with 3700 miles leaking brake cylinder . Also when they sit longer like a low mileage truck you risk getting rust on internal engine and tranny parts , which will garantee a short life once it gets back on the road .

6x6guy

In Illinois your basic D/L weight restrictions are 16,000 LBS GVWR or Gross Vehicle Weight restriction
other wise your good to go- make sure you check with your insurance agent regarding the vehicle
insurance requirements -some companys don't like to insure 40 year old trucks.

swampzr2

Ranchhopper has been a wealth of information for me since I am a new M35A3 owner. I had all the same questions you had. Just spend some time on here everyday reading, and asking questions.

There is plenty of info on here. Where in Chicagoland are you from? Welcome.

jpekarek

Don't think twice about the miles, you have no way of telling if they're correct. Have someone that knows deuces go with you to give it the once over. In my opinion it's better to have one that's been driven. The ones that do a lot of sitting tend to have more issues. Good luck!!:-D
Agreed! My 5 Ton sat for years and all of the axle seals leaked.

The worst thing you can do to any type of car or truck is to let it sit.