• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legality of owning m113

its me

Hi all,

so this question has been pinging around my head for some time because if the opportunity arose where I could buy a m113 I'd love to, but want to know where I stand with owning one. So any advise or pointers from you guys would be great.

all the best
kyle "buster"

DanM7890

is that an armored carrier? These threads always come up about if I can own this or that. It really comes down to where you live and the rules they have in place. I see your in the UK so I am no help but I would contact your local MV chapter if there is one, or call your local DOT officer(not sure what you equivalent is). Are you buying it for private collection or do you plan on driving it on the street with a plate. I know laws will be very different across the water than here in the states.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another big question is can you afford to own one. Purchase price aside (which is significant in the States) the cost of upkeep on a piece of armor, even as small as a M113, is substantial. Plus where can you drive tracked vehicles? Wheeled armor is much easier to move and utilize versus a track.

DanM7890

I believe they are allowed to drive it on the road, not sure why you would unless its a parade or event though. Tracked vehicles will always be expensive, so many moving parts. Another thing to go along with mkcoen is the special insurance you will have to carry on it.

its me

is that an armored carrier? These threads always come up about if I can own this or that. It really comes down to where you live and the rules they have in place. I see your in the UK so I am no help but I would contact your local MV chapter if there is one, or call your local DOT officer(not sure what you equivalent is). Are you buying it for private collection or do you plan on driving it on the street with a plate. I know laws will be very different across the water than here in the states.
Hey,

thanks for the reply, it is indeed a armoured carrier. What I mean about legally owning is not can I have it in the UK etc but what is the US army take on them being in private hands. Can a private person legally own one and if so how do you find out if they have been released legally etc. Hope this is abit clearer.

kyle

its me

Another big question is can you afford to own one. Purchase price aside (which is significant in the States) the cost of upkeep on a piece of armor, even as small as a M113, is substantial. Plus where can you drive tracked vehicles? Wheeled armor is much easier to move and utilize versus a track.

hey thanks for the reply. Armour sure is expensive etc but hey we got to spend that hard earned cash some how hehe

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey,

thanks for the reply, it is indeed a armoured carrier. What I mean about legally owning is not can I have it in the UK etc but what is the US army take on them being in private hands. Can a private person legally own one and if so how do you find out if they have been released legally etc. Hope this is abit clearer.

kyle
There are some privately owned ones in the US but very few. Probably the easiest for you would be to find some 3rd World country that we gave them to that no longer uses them or can't afford to support them. It's extremely difficult for people in the US to re-import US made armor. We can bring in Soviet or British armor with a few pieces of paper but if it was made here they passed some asinine rules that won't let you bring our own stuff back in. And I don't think the US Army gives a crap who owns them. Now if it were a Navy plane from WWII you found, forget it. The Navy retains ownership of EVERYTHING they ever had and getting it away from them is tough.

B3.3T

You can indeed legally own it and drive it on the road in the UK. The M113 is actually less expensive in the UK than the US as many were sold from NATO stock that cannot be returned to the US. BENELUX countries sold off a bunch a few years ago and they were very reasonably priced. Not as cheap as a 432, but not nearly as expensive as in the States.

its me

Ok so another way of looking at it then. If I was to buy a m113 from a foreign army etc what's the deal with end user certificates......do I need one from the US ARmy?

kyle

its me

I did post another post but dosnt seem to have posted not unless moderators had to approve it as I put a link in it with regards to 40 odd 113's sold in NZ to a Australian dealer and the USA put a stop to the sale......

kyle

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I did post another post but dosnt seem to have posted not unless moderators had to approve it as I put a link in it with regards to 40 odd 113's sold in NZ to a Australian dealer and the USA put a stop to the sale......

kyle
Kyle I have looked and the only things you have posted are on this thread, maybe you forgot to hit the post/reply button.

Jericho

You can own it in the UK , and drive it on the road, ( must have rubber tracks /pads ) In fact you may quite possibly find that you may be MOT exempt! If it was not part of Lend/ Lease or FMS sales (US asset moved as part of a financial account given to a foreign ally to bolster their defence ) then The US GOVT isn't involved, England, Belgium, Germany for example owned thiers out right. US isn't in the equation any where ! If it were US manufacture (not all were) Current Policy would not allow it back into the US at the moment ( but you can import a Russian T-72 , go figure) Englands DEMILL rues are loose and fast, Some Tanks have "serviceable " turrets and bores to include functioning actions. BUT if it were a simple Mk III 303 it would have to be "rendered impossible to fire " Short of some comprehensive and very restrictive RULES. Lived there for twelve years, gotta love England !

its me

You can own it in the UK , and drive it on the road, ( must have rubber tracks /pads ) In fact you may quite possibly find that you may be MOT exempt! If it was not part of Lend/ Lease or FMS sales (US asset moved as part of a financial account given to a foreign ally to bolster their defence ) then The US GOVT isn't involved, England, Belgium, Germany for example owned thiers out right. US isn't in the equation any where ! If it were US manufacture (not all were) Current Policy would not allow it back into the US at the moment ( but you can import a Russian T-72 , go figure) Englands DEMILL rues are loose and fast, Some Tanks have "serviceable " turrets and bores to include functioning actions. BUT if it were a simple Mk III 303 it would have to be "rendered impossible to fire " Short of some comprehensive and very restrictive RULES. Lived there for twelve years, gotta love England !

Hey thanks for reply.
i got to agree that we are pretty luck with some of our laws with regards to vehicles and hopefully they won't change now we voted out.

so back to the point in hand......so if it was a us made one being used by a foreign army, it's still all cool?

so how comes there are not more in private hands then?

kyle

Jericho

If the US stopped a sale it was likely an FMS (foreign Military Sales ) deal NZ receives a fair amount of US and British Military AID , Australia you may remember got a few squadrons worth of F 111 Arrdvarks after the gulf war ,along with 20 years of prepaid parts, ( we even overhauled them before we sent them). It was done to bolster the Air assets in the region, saves us setting up new bases. As soon as we withdrew parts and technical support they sent them to the bone yard !

Jericho

If the US stopped a sale it was likely an FMS (foreign Military Sales ) deal NZ receives a fair amount of US and British Military AID , Australia you may remember got a few squadrons worth of F 111 Arrdvarks after the gulf war ,along with 20 years of prepaid parts, ( we even overhauled them before we sent them). It was done to bolster the Air assets in the region, saves us setting up new bases. As soon as we withdrew parts and technical support they sent them to the bone yard ! The Current President placed a lot of returned from conflict and new Armoured vehicals in the hands of the municipalities and states in a program designed to BEEF up there capabilities in the war on terror. Some were kept the minimum time required by law and sold to private individuals. The Administration was suddenly concerned they might have nefarious purpose. So he has made an effort to STEM the flow. His current stance is that NONE of the armoured , amphibious or WAR MAterials export can be reimported. But the decision only really affects American made materials that were primarily lend / lease, yes still coming back from the second world war. Norway is a prime example, they were returning equipment ,Weasels , Trucks , ect in conditions of repair seldom seen here any more.
England and Germany are the only two countries to completely repay their war debts, England had a little left and it was forgiven on the Queens JUbilee in 1976/77. The biggest reason you see the decrease in Englands US Air Force foot print was the end of the Basing Rights Lend Lease 50 year deal for the Destroyers in the early (40s 40/41)! The big difference here is that in most states,similar to regions in the UK, New Hampshire, compared to Norfolk for example, have road laws that differs from state to state, New Hampshire for example does not allow tracked vehicles on the roads , even if rubber tracked , EXCEPT a half track for example , because its only "partially tracked" Unlike England where the emphasis for demil is on the ammunition, here the emphasis is on the ability to "send it down the tube" you could own a 155 HE round legally with the right Tax stamps and approvals , but to get a "stamp" for a live tube is very very hard, England historicly has aloud ,in the past, live tubes , but prevented the ammo from possion. Just a different mind set. So , you wont see a Scimatar Track rolling down the A 47 to Mildenhall here, unless on a flatbed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks