• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lemoore CA, to San Diego CA, to Millington TN

AECS

Navy has given me orders to TN. Driving the M1009 to San Diego then on to Millington TN. Will be towing a 2300 pound car and have the back loaded with about 1500 pounds. I know that is pushing the limit on weight. I have HD breaks installed, a transmission cooler, and a new harmonic balancer. I will compile a list of help along the way as I am sure if it can go wrong it will.

I will be towing the car over grapevine, to San Diego (at around 30mph I am sure) then my step dad will tow it over the mountains on the 8 for me. I will hook it back up and continue on my self. If my reading of the maps is accurate the mountains out of San Diego are the worst I will have to deal with.

Route is as follows. 8 to the 10, to the 20, to the 30. I think that is going to be my best route hill wise and weather wise, as I am going the last 2 weeks of Jan.

2 months ago drove it 350 miles each way to Fallon NV. Made the trip no problem, but Donner pass was slow going (45mph at times) unloaded, so I am sure that the grapevine will be very very slow...

Have AAA and my wife and kids will be in follow car. Any advise? also if you are on the route and willing to lend a hand if need be can you PM me your contact info?

Al Harvey

The last part of your trip should be on I40 through Arkansas, I drove that about 5 months ago and their was a section with a lot of construction. It might be complete, but they seemed to be redoing a lot. Maybe someone in that area can give some updates. I would suggest to try and make your trip through Memphis during the day time. If Murphy were to show up it would be better during the day then at night. I live about 3 hours from Memphis, if you have any major issues I should be able to break away. Oh and Welcome to TN soon. The Millington area is nice, when I was still in we did a mission down there once. Best wishes for your trip and hope Murphy misses the ride!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last part of your trip should be on I40 through Arkansas, I drove that about 5 months ago and their was a section with a lot of construction. It might be complete, but they seemed to be redoing a lot. Maybe someone in that area can give some updates. I would suggest to try and make your trip through Memphis during the day time. If Murphy were to show up it would be better during the day then at night. I live about 3 hours from Memphis, if you have any major issues I should be able to break away. Oh and Welcome to TN soon. The Millington area is nice, when I was still in we did a mission down there once. Best wishes for your trip and hope Murphy misses the ride!!

I drove that last week in a M931A2 pulling an m109a3 on towbars. The construction was HORRIBLE. It was the worst part of the whole trip.

I 20 in TX around the Midland/Odessa area is also no fun. Try to time it so you don't have to stop there - everything is expensive, from fuel to $150 a night cheap hotel rooms. I slept in the truck as a result.....

AECS

Thanks for all the input. I will be taking noes on all and planning tje route and stops in accordance. 98 I have you info. Hope not to have to use it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you stay on I-20 to Jackson, MS and then turn up I-55 the terrain will be better for towing. Watch the weather and use that route if snow or ice is forecast for the I-30/40 route. It is a few more miles but easier on the driveline.
If you come in on I-40 stop about 20-30 miles out of West Memphis to fuel/eat/rest. West Memphis is a craphole and the truck stops there are full of lot lizards, pimps, hustlers and panhandlers. If you come up I-55 do the same. South Memphis isn't much better.
Be very careful in and around Memphis. Once you get out of Memphis proper and on up to Millington the people are better.
I used to haul HAZMAT to a disposal facility there and am familiar with the area.
Sounds like a grand adventure. Take a lot of photos and allow us to follow your adventure on this site.

AECS

First leg complete. 2900 in tow 800 in the back. 33 inch tires and she did great. 35 UP THE GRAPEVINE temp never went over 200 and pulled good. 18.3 mpg on the flat not sure from the hill down to San Diego. Next friday start the trip to Millington TN.

Last edited:

AECS

For some reason I cant seem to get the picture from yesterday uploaded, but I filled up this morning and was at 17.8 up the grapevine and back down all the way to San Diego. Can ask for anything better!

AECS

We are off on the second leg of our trip tomarow morning. Will take pictures and updates. Thanks for all the well wishes and good info.

AECS

Third leg in the books. Over nighted in Van Horn TX. Today on to Burnet TX. Not makeing the miles I want due to having to stop to let the dog walk and the kids go to the bathroom or vice versa... But the 1009 is pulling good at 60-65...

Al Harvey

When it comes to family, it's harder to force the "man rule" of "largest bladder decides stops, not the smallest" LOL Glad you doing good.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, so I'm in Las Cruces NM. The mountains south of El Paso will be your last serious challenge, coming right to the border patrol check point, quite a few miles of uphill to get there. If you need anything let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks