• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lens restore for tail lights, turn signals, reverse light

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of the Meguiars Headlight Restoration kits a couple weeks ago. After using it to polish a couple regular vehicles I started looking at my LMTV and figured why not, might as well see how much difference it makes. If you haven't used one of these type kits, you are wet sanding the lens using progressively finer grit, then use a special polish, then a protectant. I had to use a knife to scrape the CARC off the edges. The turn signals in the front cleaned up very nicely also, but I can't get a good picture because of how the truck is parked. Here are the before and after pics. I still need to clean up the bolt heads on the housings, and put in some cheap LED replacement bulbs. I like the look of these old style lenses vs the new LED units.

Before_OnTruck.jpg Before_OffTruck.jpg
After_OnTruck.jpg After_OffTruck.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I like to upgrade to LEDs all around they are more visible during the day especially. I have had a few almost accidents with people who didn't see or chose to ignore my turn signals. I can polish the LED headlights plastic face with my buffing wheel and the polish compound made for older plastic watch crystals. It works very well comes out like new.

Amer-team

you might also try polish from the auto parts store for cleaning up scuffs to your autos paint. I found a paste and with a soft cloth, usually takes just a few minutes of hand rubbing and they do clean up nice. But I have been stymied by a recent pair of taillight lenses, that had quite a bit of overspray. They are coming along, but making me work for it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you might also try polish from the auto parts store for cleaning up scuffs to your autos paint. I found a paste and with a soft cloth, usually takes just a few minutes of hand rubbing and they do clean up nice. But I have been stymied by a recent pair of taillight lenses, that had quite a bit of overspray. They are coming along, but making me work for it.
I just used my knife to lightly scrape off the bad overspray spots. Try that or a razor blade. After that you can wet sand it.

zout

You can buy a can of bug spray like off woods with DEET in it....put it on a rag and wipe the haze off....works on automotive lenses as well.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy a can of bug spray like off woods with DEET in it....put it on a rag and wipe the haze off....works on automotive lenses as well.
I've tried that too. It works surprisingly well for something so simple. The results didn't seem to last very long though. Now that I have a few lenses cleaned up, I'm going to try and keep some of the headlight lens protectant on them and see if that lasts.

gerrykan

I read an internet article warning not to get DEET on clear coat, as it can damage the finish.
I realize that doesn't apply to most former military vehicles, but caution should be used around civilian vehicles.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck on lenses by sanding and then spraying with clearcoat. I wet-sand with 600 to 800 to provide bite for the paint. I then spreay with automotive grade clearcoat in a spray can from the auto parts store. It takes less than ten minutes and the results are dramatic. It works for clear lenses so the colored turn signal/tail light lenses are no problem. The UV protectant in the paint helps the appearance last. Polishing the plastic by whatever method you choose will not last long without UV protection.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck on lenses by sanding and then spraying with clearcoat. I wet-sand with 600 to 800 to provide bite for the paint. I then spreay with automotive grade clearcoat in a spray can from the auto parts store. It takes less than ten minutes and the results are dramatic. It works for clear lenses so the colored turn signal/tail light lenses are no problem. The UV protectant in the paint helps the appearance last. Polishing the plastic by whatever method you choose will not last long without UV protection.
I like that idea. The kit I used came with some protectant which takes care of the UV problem, but you have to apply it periodically. The clearcoat sounds more permanent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks