• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LEO + Municipal HMMWV Mods

readyman

Yup, I've seen feds chase down a lousy $1000 night vision tube, base on the nsn/serial number.

Which reminds me, my title still has the original short VIN that gave the State of Illinois fits.

I dont beleive this to be true. If it has an NSN and was once GOV property it is still retricted. Does not matter who sold it off.

Remember, GSA vehicles do not have EUC's either but they are still controled items.

Haasino

I dont beleive this to be true. If it has an NSN and was once GOV property it is still retricted. Does not matter who sold it off.
I've heard this claim made before, but have never seem any documentation or written policy to back it up. Certain items may fall under US Customs ITAR regulations, but gov't property sold legitimately as surplus becomes the property of the private party who purchases it.

I remember when Big 5 Sporting Goods sold US PROPERTY Enfield rifles from the '40s... you mean to tell me that the government could walk in and say "gimme" and they'd be able to just retake property they long-ago sold?

Yup, I've seen feds chase down a lousy $1000 night vision tube, base on the nsn/serial number.
Yes, but the $1,000,000 question there is why did they chase it down? Because they randomly changed their mind and wanted a legitimately surplused item back... or because it was not released under proper conditions and/or violated an EUC?

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Geez, and our dept grant writer got a Govt notice that the program that dispurses ANYTHING from the military to state and local departments is on lockdown. They want a full accounting of everything that has gone out on the program before anything else is let out through it.
Good Luck...
Side note: The county FD auctioned several dueces last year that it got in the program in the 80's, I wonder how the paperwork on them worked out???
Not the 1st time LESO has been shut down. About 10years ago every crewcab pickup and Suburban in DOD surplus disappeared into the "chicagoland" area police/sheriffs depts. The auctioned off to support the donut/college fund.

Wanna be Johnnie Rambo gets his hands on a HMMWV, black balaclava and a H&K MP5. What could possibly go wrong.

1.) You want a problem solved you call the FD
2.) When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

KsM715

you mean to tell me that the government could walk in and say "gimme" and they'd be able to just retake property they long-ago sold?

Yes. What, are you new to how the US GOV works? :p Just kidding with you.

There is a thread recently on here by a fairly well known member that has been recently visited by the guys in the black sedans.

*Edit* info from GL's terms and condition:

1. DEMIL CODE CHANGES – RETURN OF RESTRICTED PROPERTY: In the event that DLA Disposition Services changes a Demil Code or determines that an item offered for sale by GL may not be sold, or must be sold with restrictions, GL may withdraw the item from sale or place additional restrictions on the sale at any time prior to the removal of the item by the Buyer. The Buyer will be limited in remedy to a refund of the purchase price and cancellation of the sale.
  2. Items sold by us, which are changed to a Demil Code status of other than B or Q from Demil Codes A, B or Q, or are otherwise determined to be restricted by DLA Disposition Services, must be returned by you to the nearest DLA Disposition Services facility, and you will be reimbursed for the purchase price and any documented transportation costs incurred by you. If you have already transferred the property to another party, you agree to provide the name and contact information of that party to the Department of Defense or other federal government agency charged with the investigation of the transfer or recovery of the property. Your failure to cooperate in returning these items, providing contact information of transferees or completing and submitting End-Use- Certificates upon any Demil Code change may constitute grounds for suspension of your account and prohibition from bidding in future GL or U.S. Government sales, and we reserve the right to suspend your participation without providing you any additional notice or warning.
  3. In the event that a Buyer is requested to return property subsequently determined by the DLA Disposition Services to be restricted, Buyer understands that any certification to GL regarding what has been returned will be forwarded to the Government and be the basis for determining any refund due the Buyer. If you falsely claim a refund for property you have not returned to DLA Disposition Services, you may be liable under the False Claims Act, 18 U.S.C. §287. Included with the request to return property, you will receive contact information for Fast Track Logistics, who will be responsible for returning the property to the Government at no cost to the Buyer.
  4. You agree to cooperate with DLA Disposition Services in the recovery of property that was sold to you, which is later determined to have been restricted, and understand that if you fail to do so you will be deemed by the DLA Disposition Services to be "uncooperative" and may be denied access to future sales events at the discretion of the DLA Disposition Services.
Does that sound like once its sold to you it's yours forever?

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok guys, let's tone down the anti-HMMWV modification and anti-LEO rhetoric. I for one am glad to see our PD's, FD's, search & rescue's, etc getting all of these HMMWVs. It's either they get them or the scrap man gets them. If the HMMWV suits the needs of the unit and helps the guys get the job done better, then so be it. Let them arm them with machine guns. Have you seen the kind of weapons the drug runners and gang bangers are carrying? LEO's need all the help they can get.

One positive that may come out of this is better aftermarket support with maintenance parts and modification parts. It will also attract a whole new group to the MV world. Hopefully, some of the guys will stick around for good and become productive members of SS. I was first drawn to MV's after driving deuce one summer that had been modified to carry a drilling rig. It was painted red and blue and had very little in common with the early deuce that it started out as, but I was hooked!

Let's welcome all of the new members who joined to find out how to properly maintain and modify their HMMWVs. We are generally a very helpful bunch and most will be glad to answer any questions you may have. As others have suggested, download all of the manuals under the resources tab above. They will answer the majority of your questions.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all for the HMMWV's getting used by civil service rather than be destroyed, it keeps them around longer and if the demil code ever changes they will still be here for us to have a shot at them.

Now when the local PD starts getting AH-64's and A-10's, then I will start to get worried!

dilvoy

I dont beleive this to be true. If it has an NSN and was once GOV property it is still restricted. Does not matter who sold it off.

Remember, GSA vehicles do not have EUC's either but they are still controled items.

OK, but the United Defense Humvees were sold at public auction to common citizens which was not the usual thing for Humvees at that time. The Fed could have stopped it if it was not allowed. When I was at the Riverside auction the word was that there was an act of Congress that allowed United Defense to sell them to the public. A few got out through the GSA with form 97's, but not from the DRMO with form 97's. Maybe some were sold through the DRMO with form 97's, but it was not supposed to happen. The auction humvees were treated differently for some reason.

Maverick1701

we love our HMMWVs (sheriffs office)...its much easier to take the HMMWV to fires and riverbed patrol vs using our $30,000 expeditions...the taxpayers like the decreased repair cost as well (we get all parts through LESO vs damaging our normal patrol vehicles)

The way I see it, if it helps us do our jobs (catch meth cookers and stop poachers on the riverbed) and saves the taxpayers money, its a win win for all parties involved.

nattieleather

You know....when I was a kid I saw M37s and M38A1s being used my the local municipalities and I thought boy I wish they had gone to regular folk. Then As I got a little older I saw M715s and M35s at local municipalities and I thoguht boy I wish they had goen to regular folk. Then I got older and I saw M880s and M1008/9s being used by the local municipalities and I thought boy I wish they had gone to regular folk. All of these trucks were painted Fire Engine Red, Black and White, Brown or Orange or Kelly Green or what ever the "city" color was at that time. I saw these trucks being used for fighting fires, looking for drugs in the woods, or just being in the Fourth of July parade. Now I see HMMWVs getting the same treatment....boy if they only gone to regular folks hands.

It's the same old story. What aren't seeing anything new here! Maybe more towns than days gone by but still same thing that's been happening since WWII. Why is this getting your hackles up? After WWII almost every town and city had some surplus equipment. When the Vietnam war ended the same thing every local town and city got a flood of surplus equipment. Why would we think that history would not repeat itself here?

The other thing I see happening is new HMV owners are getting that M37 or M38A1. They are getting that M211 or M35 Gaser, that M715 or M880 and they are fixing and restoring them back to original. They are joining the hobby and coming onto SS looking for advice. I see LEOs coming on here trying to find answers to problems with their trucks. Heck I see active duty gaurd and reserve coming on here looking for advice for their trucks.

So I say let them get the toys. Let them come to SS for advice. Let us help them if we can!

readyman

Ok guys, let's tone down the anti-HMMWV modification and anti-LEO rhetoric. I for one am glad to see our PD's, FD's, search & rescue's, etc getting all of these HMMWVs. It's either they get them or the scrap man gets them. If the HMMWV suits the needs of the unit and helps the guys get the job done better, then so be it. Let them arm them with machine guns. Have you seen the kind of weapons the drug runners and gang bangers are carrying? LEO's need all the help they can get.
You're right if a local muni can use 'em, use 'em all. But the LESO says they still go back to the Govt for crushing when done, nothing different than now. It's AMGeneral calling the shots, and protecting their interests. The delivery label below says it all.

One positive that may come out of this is better aftermarket support with maintenance parts and modification parts. It will also attract a whole new group to the MV world. Hopefully, some of the guys will stick around for good and become productive members of SS. I was first drawn to MV's after driving deuce one summer that had been modified to carry a drilling rig. It was painted red and blue and had very little in common with the early deuce that it started out as, but I was hooked!
LESO says a steady stream of parts are available with the muni HMMWV's, and that's great, but we will never see those parts. The delivery label below says it all AMGeneral won't allow civilians those parts. The $ to be made on parts for 10000's of HMMWV's in munis across the US is far greater than made on the few hundred in civilian hands(Good business decision). AMGeneral may not enforce the civilian restrictions on HMMWV's, parts or ownership by civilians, but your darn tootin' the the Govt, AMG parts suppliers and state licensing/title bureau's WILL do it for them.

Let's welcome all of the new members who joined to find out how to properly maintain and modify their HMMWVs. We are generally a very helpful bunch and most will be glad to answer any questions you may have. As others have suggested, download all of the manuals under the resources tab above. They will answer the majority of your questions.
welcome...

Attachments

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't say they wouldn't be crushed eventually. I'm sure turn in's will either be sent back out to another agency or chopped up into bits. At least we the tax payers will get some more use out of them via our local agencies.

I bet if the government suddenly started releasing them to the public you'd be raving that your HMMWV suddenly depreciated in value. Be thankful you are still in the very elite club of HMMWV ownership.

I'm glad you are a stickler for keeping your truck original. That's great because we need to have some preserved in their original state. As you can tell from my build-up, I'm more interested in creating an "improved" HMMWV. It takes all types to make this hobby what it is.

I've purchased lots of products from AMG resellers and have seen that label many times. Again, be thankful you can still get the parts even with the sticker on it. Like it or not, AMG will always call the shots when it comes to their in-house parts and the final destination of their trucks.

The aftermarket parts will still be a factor even if most of the replacement parts come from surplus or AMG. Just think of all the up-fitters out there who will create brush truck components, lights, bumpers, etc... I'm sure some of it exists already for the H1's, but I'm sure production will be ramped up as more orders come in.

readyman

I didn't say they wouldn't be crushed eventually. I'm sure turn in's will either be sent back out to another agency or chopped up into bits. At least we the tax payers will get some more use out of them via our local agencies.

I bet if the government suddenly started releasing them to the public you'd be raving that your HMMWV suddenly depreciated in value. Be thankful you are still in the very elite club of HMMWV ownership.

I'm glad you are a stickler for keeping your truck original. That's great because we need to have some preserved in their original state. As you can tell from my build-up, I'm more interested in creating an "improved" HMMWV. It takes all types to make this hobby what it is.

I've purchased lots of products from AMG resellers and have seen that label many times. Again, be thankful you can still get the parts even with the sticker on it. Like it or not, AMG will always call the shots when it comes to their in-house parts and the final destination of their trucks.

The aftermarket parts will still be a factor even if most of the replacement parts come from surplus or AMG. Just think of all the up-fitters out there who will create brush truck components, lights, bumpers, etc... I'm sure some of it exists already for the H1's, but I'm sure production will be ramped up as more orders come in.
Yeah... It takes all types...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a lot today at Fort Polk. Saw a LEO picking up a hmmv and a generator for her dept. All the ones at Polk were unarmored. Maybe 50+ in the DRMO lot. most soft tops and many with no doors. Some looked they had seen better times.

What surprised me was 5 MRAP's sitting in the lot. Not sure what the deal was on those? Certainly cool as I previewed some 5 tons next to them.

I am glad to see them put to good use. After K, we learned what exactly a high water vehicle is needed for. :-| Crown Vics and chargers don't do well in more than 6-8inches:-D

Ever since we received our HMMWV's, my interest in MV's has spiked and I have been a regular in the classified section looking for something to buy....

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ever since we received our HMMWV's, my interest in MV's has spiked and I have been a regular in the classified section looking for something to buy....
Watch out! It's addictive! I cut my teeth on a M1009 CUCV and then switched to a M35A2 and then to a 404 Unimog and then to a M923A2 5-ton and the to a... well, you get the picture. Very addictive. Please excuse while I go drool over some photos on GL.

bfdvollie

Since we are one of those groups who got one of these units and are asking the benign questions I agree you should be able to purchase parts. You need to write your Congressional delegation and let them work on it, if they can get time to agree on anything.

That being said as a taxpayer I would hope people would apprecaite our repurposing units that most likely would be in turned into toasters by now. We got our unit free, had to go get it at our cost and plan to put 4k into it to get it up to spec for a brush truck. A brand new brush truck is a minimum 45k which saves you 40k. That 40k adds up across the country.

Well it looks like the floodgates have opened and every local municipal department is getting HMMWV's.
LEO's, FD's, water+sewer departments, what a deal!.

Here on the SS HMMWV forum we civilians had to beg borrow and steal to get ($)HMMWV's and the repair parts. Even as recent... civ's NOT being able to buy parts anymore from AMGeneral! But rolling HMMWV's and a steady stream of repair parts will be coming to your local municipality to mod/militarize them even more.(I'll leave the mil-APC my PD got out of this for a while)

I suppose after the benign questions on how to run strobes on 24V and how to prep CARC:roll: for a Fire Engine Red Imron gloss paint job. The questions on what mount/cradle is compatible with a M2HB and the HMMWV turret weapons platform will be next. "Oh yeah, we'll only use it on bad guys." :-|

I liked the SS HMMWV forum better when we were painstakingly/$ restoring OD on some pretty scarce(what a few hundred?) legally owned HMMWV's in civilian hands. Rather than helping along this new crowd to mod them beyond restoration, and then to use them for ?

Isn't there someplace else that specializes in this?

readyman

parts... congressmen... sure, AMGeneral's (contributions/influence) over the politicians trumps the entire MVPA membership and this forum combined @ $3.2 Billion 2011 in sales alone. dream on.

We are so appreciative...
Does the LESO fine print actually say you have saved it? Or do you have to return it for toasters after you are done? Seems to be a lot of debate about that here.
My MV restorations are permanent + for posterity, not just a delay of the inevitable crusher.

btw, Don't forget to post a lot of pic's of that 4K mod...

Since we are one of those groups who got one of these units and are asking the benign questions I agree you should be able to purchase parts. You need to write your Congressional delegation and let them work on it, if they can get time to agree on anything.

That being said as a taxpayer I would hope people would apprecaite our repurposing units that most likely would be in turned into toasters by now. We got our unit free, had to go get it at our cost and plan to put 4k into it to get it up to spec for a brush truck. A brand new brush truck is a minimum 45k which saves you 40k. That 40k adds up across the country.

readyman

I know that KsM715... ashes to ashes, dust to dust, steel to rust, and that dern HMMWV aluminum turn signal flasher housing which pretty much dissolved into a white aluminum oxide powder under my dash! No wonder the turn signals were getting balky the last few weeks, and after only 28 years! ;)
Everything, I mean everything is returned to which it came from at some point in time.