• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lessons learned for oil cooler hose replacement

bkwudzhom

Not long ago I decided to replace the weeping oil cooler hoses on the M1008. Instead of buying new ($30+ each!!)... I took them to my local NAPA store that builds Hydraulic hoses. They were able to cut off the old clamp and install fresh hose that was not likely to leak in a couple of years like the foreign made new parts are reported to do. At least that's what I thought. Not long after they were installed I was getting a leak that was spraying on the exhaust pipe under the drivers side. The hose was intact...however the metal line that connects to the bottom was against the huge brace that helps support the firewall where the master cylinder goes. Contact with the brace had worn a hole in it. I tried Dorman parts from the local parts stores....they didn't fit ..Woulda known that IF I had Looked it up on SS FIRST!!! The bends were not even close. So I got the new part from the local GM dealer..($65!!!!)....It fit but it still was rubbing. SOLUTION!!! 5 mins with the Die grinder created the space needed with room to spare. There is supposed to be a bracket to connect both of the metal pipes and limit vibration. Mine is missing so I took a piece of heater hose and zip tied it around the lower pipe then zipped the upper one to it. when running the movement was greatly reduced.It will work until I locate a brace to replace mine.

Figuring in the total time to make this simple repair/upgrade is around 1 hour. Hope these simple solutions save someone the trouble I had.

b4thundr

I think I'm gonna remove my lines and Install two 3/8 pipe plugs in the motor. Honestly these motors don't work hard enough to warrant cooler lines at least in my book.

rsh4364

I have been thinking about going with 3/8npt to 10an fittings in block then 10an braided hose to 10an to 1/2 npt to a B&M 70266 cooler,even the civy units had oil cooler so My thinking is it is a benefit to our trucks.

b4thundr

I would agree with you 100% if we were talking about direct injected turbo charged engine with more than 155 horse and 240 foot pounds of torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks