• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let the fun begin

Skrilex

Banned
Finally got her home. My first milspec vehicle. Life long dream car.

But, going against recommended advice, I bought a non runner. I like to tinker. But, don’t quote me on that later please!

so within the first ten minutes she made me bleed, okay fair enough, like an animal fresh from the pound we will take time to building trust.

First questions I have for you guys is about some fitted equipment. There seems to be a light by the shifter that is an indicator. Says T/C lock which I can only assume is torque converter lock? But this is an 85 truck with a 6.5. Does this mean it has a 4sp tranny or a modified 3sp? Look at the pic.
Also there are two cables coming up on passenger side that look sort of newer and cobbled on, with connectors loose in footwell. ANy idea what these may have been for?

Any help appreciated on this. It will be an adventure for sure. 9A30E808-A03F-4186-A157-3CBBE0E561DE.jpg700D3040-A440-46D6-9EE1-E7CAFACEA86A.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The T/C lock light is most likely transfer case lock .
Have you read this yet ?
TM-9-2320-280-10.pdf
TM-9-2320-280-10 Operators manual for the M998 series truck. June 1991

You really should read it to get know how to operate things properly.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

T/C doesn't mean torque converter in this case, it's transfer case. That should illuminate when your transfer case is in HL or L position.

The two cables are radio/electronic power cables. The 4 prong is very common for the VRC-12 series radios and others. Not sure what the multi pin unit is for.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

NormB

Look underneath your truck at the transfer case (just aft of the transmission). If it has two wires coming off it, it's an NP 242 - i.e., newer model - and the LED should light up in HL or L(lock). Or just put the TC selector in HL and turn on power, it should light up.

Skrilex

Banned
Ah cool thanks. No I haven’t read an owners manual since, well, let’s just say I haven’t read it yet lol. But I will and thank you for that.
Darn about the tc lock light. Why does it look non original? I was hoping I somehow got a tranny upgrade lol.

Its going to take some doing doing before I can slap batteries in it. There’s major mech to figure out first.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who ever did the T/C upgrade....must of had a dull hole saw.
The early 242 T/C came in a kit [ T/C, Wires, Light, drive shafts ].

Wire Fox

SO, my alternator is missing. Does anyone have one for sale or trades?
Look through the parts for sale section in the classifieds, or post a new thread to the parts wanted section. I think some guy had a 200A dual voltage unit for sale a few weeks ago. You may find that someone has a 60A unit for much, much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
Man that manual has entirely toooooo many pages. A whole page dedicated to the park brake? Ugh. Too bad I did t get to the part about wheel pressure 30 maximum before overfilling them and now they leaking. Do I have to tear the wheels down now?

NormB

Man that manual has entirely toooooo many pages. A whole page dedicated to the park brake? Ugh. Too bad I did t get to the part about wheel pressure 30 maximum before overfilling them and now they leaking. Do I have to tear the wheels down now?
That 30# is for the older BIAS-ply tires. Newer ones have RADIALS and can go up to 50 psi.

Really, read the manual.

There are some peculiarities about when and where to use high and low lock and when to shift (idling, engine off, etc).

That’s in there somewhere too. Once your rig IS running, reading a bit now can greatly lessen your future pain and suffering listening to parts grinding, things breaking.

Won’t prevent busted knuckles though; mechanix gloves help, but you’ll get caught not using them sooner or later and you’ll wonder what that sticky stuff is between your fingers or where those red drops are coming from.

EB1EE163-6067-46C2-B93A-9F1C7C72903F.jpg

And please, take your rings/jewelry off while working on trucks. Believe me, ER docs (or worse, nurse practitioners) really don’t need the experience with degloving injuries or ring cutters.

But have fun. Really.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 should not cause a problem. Are they all leaking? use soapy water and see where the leak is?

On the Alt, Post a pic of your brackets & wiring. It can have a 60amp stock older prestolite unit or an upgraded 100 or 200 amp niehoff?

Skrilex

Banned
That 30# is for the older BIAS-ply tires. Newer ones have RADIALS and can go up to 50 psi.

Really, read the manual.

Oh, and t/c isn’t “tranny” it’s transfer case.

There are some peculiarities about when and where to use high and low lock and when to shift (idling, engine off, etc).

That’s in there somewhere too. Once your rig IS running, reading a bit now can greatly lessen your future pain and suffering.

Not busted knuckles though; mechanix gloves help, but you’ll get caught not using them sooner or later and you’ll wonder what that sticky stuff is between your fingers or red drops somewhere.

View attachment 711213

And please, take your rings/jewelry off while working on trucks. Believe me, ER docs (or worse, nurse practitioners) really don’t need the experience with degloving injuries or ring cutters.

But have fun. Really.
Okay well strange I think two of them started spouting air sounded like inside somewhere. It’s dark.

Ya I’ll slog through the novel I promise. I wish there was a version without ambulance specific stuff and etc. but hey, it’s a free factory manual so can’t bitch too much. Just seems funny like in the field maybe with bullets flying would make the reading go by faster.
Cant wear gloves for most tasks they just feel weird and slow me down. There’s a hand recovery time of a few days after any big jobs lol. But I have never been able to wear jewelry especially rings. Just can’t. I’m a stunt welder by trade so that could burnt too.
Thanks for encouragement. Just discovered the glow plug controller is missing too. :/ I may end up engine swapping and converting to 12v anyway though, so it may be irrelevant. Pulling oil pan tomorrow to see what the bottom end looks like.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay well strange I think two of them started spouting air sounded like inside somewhere. It’s dark.

Ya I’ll slog through the novel I promise. I wish there was a version without ambulance specific stuff and etc. but hey, it’s a free factory manual so can’t bitch too much. Just seems funny like in the field maybe with bullets flying would make the reading go by faster.
Cant wear gloves for most tasks they just feel weird and slow me down. There’s a hand recovery time of a few days after any big jobs lol. But I have never been able to wear jewelry especially rings. Just can’t. I’m a stunt welder by trade so that could burnt too.
Thanks for encouragement. Just discovered the glow plug controller is missing too. :/ I may end up engine swapping and converting to 12v anyway though, so it may be irrelevant. Pulling oil pan tomorrow to see what the bottom end looks like.
Just think if you would spent all that time you spent checking GP to see if your EUC cleared reading the manual , you would be done with the -10 manual .:razz::doghead:

Seriously though reading the TM's will save you a lot of money and time in the long run .

jackson76550

Really, read the manual.

That’s in there somewhere too. Once your rig IS running, reading a bit now can greatly lessen your future pain and suffering listening to parts grinding, things breaking.

Won’t prevent busted knuckles though; mechanix gloves help, but you’ll get caught not using them sooner or later and you’ll wonder what that sticky stuff is between your fingers or where those red drops are coming from.

View attachment 711213

But have fun. Really.
true story. electricity and rings don't mix as well. if you need inspiration google image search degloved finger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks