• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

let's play as trivia game called... Where the **** does this go?

jesusgatos

Wondering about that top bolthole in the dash, and how close the heater duct is behind it. If I trim the bolt to the perfect length I might be able to get away with squeezing a thin jam-nut in there, but it doesn't seem right. Dash is straight. Maybe the heater duct got welded into the wrong place, a little too close to the dash?

Attachments

mikew

On the steering column bracket; the bolt goes through the bracket, then the dash and finally the defrost duct.

You put the nut on through the "tube" where the defrost duct flex pipe mounts, from the back side. Put a socket on a short extension, put the nut in the socket, insert it in the tube and thread on the nut.

Oh and:

Steering column support brackets
????
Front composite light "shields" (underside of the fender)
Fender support brackets (underhood)
Front fender supports, maybe (front edge)
Flasher (drivers side, inner fender, kinda down toward the high/low beam switch)
Horn breaker (drivers side firewall, by the hole where the wiring loom goes through)

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Dang and I was hoping I would get to ask a trivia question like....

What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?

jesusgatos

On the steering column bracket; the bolt goes through the bracket, then the dash and finally the defrost duct.

You put the nut on through the "tube" where the defrost duct flex pipe mounts, from the back side. Put a socket on a short extension, put the nut in the socket, insert it in the tube and thread on the nut.
Ah, so I need to drill a hole through the heater duct and then shim so I can bolt through the whole shebang. Great. Thanks.

Steering column support brackets
????
Front composite light "shields" (underside of the fender)
Fender support brackets (underhood)
Front fender supports, maybe (front edge)
Flasher (drivers side, inner fender, kinda down toward the high/low beam switch)
Horn breaker (drivers side firewall, by the hole where the wiring loom goes through)
Orientation of the steering column supports has got me scratching my head. There's a reinforcing rib on the firewall that's preventing things from lining up properly.

I don't know where it goes but I can tell you where to put it...lol. Doesn't anyone take pictures for reference anymore ?
Oh, fawk off.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab is not sitting level on the chassis. Why? Will take a picture of the rear cab mounts to show that it's assembled correctly. Pretty sure about that. But there are supposed to be rubber pads in between the cab and the chassis at the front mounts, right? That's just going to make it worse? How thick are those supposed to be anyway? Mine are old and crusty, and I'll probably just buy some nice rubber strips in an appropriate thickness to use instead of another set of those little square stock pads.

What about the front fenders? Anything between the fenders and the chassis at the front mounts?
On the front of the fenders there is a piece of rubber about 1/8" thick by the width/length of the support. There is also a thin piece of rubber on the rear of the fenders between the fender and the cab. The rear of the cab sits on the bracket with two rubber doughnuts in between. The bolts also have a good sized spring on them just like the front of the box mounts. Why don't you think it's a multi engine cab? Is there a starter switch cutout and is there an indent for the bellhousing in the front firewall?

jesusgatos

On the front of the fenders there is a piece of rubber about 1/8" thick by the width/length of the support. There is also a thin piece of rubber on the rear of the fenders between the fender and the cab. The rear of the cab sits on the bracket with two rubber doughnuts in between. The bolts also have a good sized spring on them just like the front of the box mounts. Why don't you think it's a multi engine cab? Is there a starter switch cutout and is there an indent for the bellhousing in the front firewall?
Thanks. There wasn't any rubber on my front fenders at the front or rear mounts, so that's good to know. Best guess is that rubber is about an 1/8" thick at the front, and what about at the rear?

The cab doesn't actually sit on any springs, it just has springs that allow it to pull away from the chassis when things start to flex/twist.

Was thinking this might have been an A3 cab, but it's new in any case, as it didn't have any of the knockout holes punched out for the steering column and the brake/clutch pedals.

mikew

Regarding your underdash supports, the one on the left is for the glove box side the other is for the steering column side.

There should already be a hole in the defroster duct for the upper bolt for the steering column. It's a "punch out", like on electrical boxes. Maybe your's isn't punched out (the passenger side ones usually aren't).

Attached are dash photos showing the supports and defrost duct punch out.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Thanks. I the defroster duct was not punched-out, so I drilled it. Done.

The passenger-side dash support went right in without any trouble, but the driver's-side is vexing me. There are two sets of holes in the firewall that have the proper spacing, but if I bolt to the lower set the bracket is way too far off to the left, and if I bolt to the upper set the bracket looks like it'll be too high. If the bracket supposed to bolt to the upper or lower set of holes on the column support?

mikew

I'm not sure exactly which bolt holes you're seeing, but the "U" shaped notch that the steering column goes through will be in line with the round steering column hole in the firewall. Because of the notch on the back of the support, that's off-center and fits over the bulge in the firewall, there should be only one place it will fit. Assuming you're not trying to install it upside down. The first support pic I posted should point you the right way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks