• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lexus vs M931 bobtailed, got rear ended

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they forget to program military trucks into the "Lexus Advanced Pre-Collision System"? :) Good to see no people in the car were seriously hurt. That driver will remember and probably dream about those last few feet he viewed before the impact for quite a while. The girl that nearly had her head taken off when she slid into the corner of the blade of my raised 11' snow plow on my duece, starting at the center of the hood and angling to her left as it went through the front of her car shearing off the a-pillar next to her head had nightmares about it for a long time. Some glass cuts but no serious injuries.

One of the locals in my town rear ended one of my M931 tractors. I had just drove it in from Ft. Bliss and was parked in front of my parents home. It was dark and I had my flashers on. I was under the front right fender looking for any leaks etc, when boom. I jerked out from under the fender thinking what the h*ll. Fortunately he only caught the two rear tires, flating the outer one. It did about 300 or so dollars worth of damage to his F250. When he got out of the truck he staggered over ( intoxicated heavily). Asked if I was alright. I was pretty hot! He said he'd give me $500 to keep it quiet. I said ok but I wouldn't let him Leave till someone came to give him a ride and pick up his truck. Also told him I better not hear of him drinking and driving again or I'd let his employer know, which is the state of New Mexico. I'm glad I wasn't​ hurt!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having lived and worked for an agency in NM for 17 years, I really hate to read that you let him off without calling authorities.
Especially him being a state employee. More than a few of them have killed others in DWI accidents in NM. Even while driving their state issued vehicle.

You opened yourself up to several charges by doing that.

I know it's over and done with, but highly recommend to never do that again.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they forget to program military trucks into the "Lexus Advanced Pre-Collision System"? :)

The Lexus Collision avoidance system is not programed for camouflage/radar absorbing material-paint. The Lexus computer recognized the vehicle and determined it was a large butterfly......wham...

74M35A2

Glad yourself and they are OK. Knarly carnage. Rims don't look like Lexus, car looks like Malibu/Impala? Doesn't matter now, on its way to China to come back as a Christmas ornament.

2-1/4" to get those rod ends off. Lower is gravy to change. Can pull it back into place and hold it in both directions with large ratchet straps to drive home, you're already there by now though.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had time to get a closer look at damages, hit so hard it broke the transfer shift rod and the torque rods tagged each other enough to take the paint off.

Truck wont build more than 80 lbs of air, so havent chased down any broken air lines yet.

IMG_1637[1].jpgIMG_1641[1].jpgIMG_1642[1].jpgIMG_1640[1].jpg

dmetalmiki

Relieved to read everyone came out reasonably OK. But I am really, seriously, (considering advising future passengers on (some sort of/any sort of) 'pre occurrence 'safety / tactical' avoidance measures, (actions)..after (sadly) reading that 'one (upsetting) post' on here.....

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad yourself and they are OK. Knarly carnage. Rims don't look like Lexus, car looks like Malibu/Impala? Doesn't matter now, on its way to China to come back as a Christmas ornament.

2-1/4" to get those rod ends off. Lower is gravy to change. Can pull it back into place and hold it in both directions with large ratchet straps to drive home, you're already there by now though.
I am not doing anything until insurance says something. Even set up a tow truck to come get it to get a 'not me' estimate, just waiting for directive from insurance.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Relieved to read everyone came out reasonably OK. But I am really, seriously, (considering advising future passengers on (some sort of/any sort of) 'pre occurrence 'safety / tactical' avoidance measures, (actions)..after (sadly) reading that 'one (upsetting) post' on here.....
I agree, at least some kind of... if this happens, do this.
I am very glad it happened to us in that truck rather than my wife's new Subaru, and those are supposed to be one of the safest cars. I am so thankful that we had big iron to absorb the energy from the other car.

I only have lap belts in that truck, the doc we saw today said she would have liked to see shoulder belts, I told her, that will probably be the second thing that gets bought for that truck, right after the dedicated dash cam.

red

That's why on the wrecker I hang the towlights off the rear, more than doubles the amount of rear light.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
DH and I know of an event where a minivan ran into an m101(pulled by an m109) cause he wasn't paying attention. He knocked the bed clean off the m101's frame(along with everything in the bed of the m101). We decided it would make a nice "crumple zone" for an MV.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking I will get one with forward and rear facing camera, and then place the camera so it can see inside the cab and out the rear window.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am thinking I will get one with forward and rear facing camera, and then place the camera so it can see inside the cab and out the rear window.
I just have the one that looks out the front but rear and cab looking is a good idea.

wcuhillbilly

cameras and all the whiz bang techno stuff of today is cool, and may help in proving fault or no fault,,,,,, but I think we are entering mission creep (off topic to those confused) and starting to stray from the point that the other driver hit him....

likely the other driver was texting, updating facebook or some other negligent action that may or may not come out in the investigation.
Our hobby and usage of MVs is delicate and precious, as they are oddballs and the herd likes to shun and blame the oddballs, conjuring up fear of anything different than themselves.
So,,, lets remember to do our diligent best to not be the negligent ones, and fix, and or modify to stay on top of our game.

To the original post,,, Thank God for big green Iron to absorb the impact. Yall are still here today because of that.

and with that, Im going to go bleed my brakes,,,,, again,,,,

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Broke the end off the transfer shift rod" How about the shift fork assembly inside the transfer? Is it OK? May have hidden damage that will show up later after everything appears to be settled.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every day I have gone out and said 'Thank you' to her, and everyday I find some other place that she was displacing all of that energy.
Today, it was the bell housing that I found.

IMG_1643[1].jpgIMG_1644[1].jpgIMG_1645[1].jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

Wow.

The flywheel housing on engines that utilize the Allison MT654CR transmissions is approximately 1" longer in depth than a conventional housing. At least this is the case with the 8.3L.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that kind of damage, you very well may have serious frame damage.

Do you have full coverage on your truck?

Collector insurance?

Best bet, an agreed value policy(insured high enough to replace it).

If you do, you may be better off getting the full value of your policy. Then "buy it back" from them for pennies on the dollar(if you want it).

Let your insurance company do the fight to get paid by the other persons insurance.

Of course, if you under insured or only have liabilty, then good luck with the other persons insurance company.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks