• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LH - RH Brake Adjust for 105

2027Deuce

Search turned up nothing and TM may be incorrect or incomplete. To adjust the brakes on the 105 trailer it says to turn the adjusting bolt counter-clockwise until the wheel stops turning and then back off until the wheel turns freely. Repeat process on the lower adjusting bolt.

This worked fine on the right (passenger) side of the trailer but the bolts needed to go clockwise on the left side of the trailer to make the wheel stop turning.

:arrow: My question is: Is this correct? Are there RH and LH adjustments on these brakes? I would not think so but stranger things have happened. I was hoping not to need to dig into the brakes to figure this out. :?:

Barrman

Um, my 105a3 has the same basic brakes as the M35. You adjust the bottom off center bolt until the pads have the clearance from the drum the TM calls for. Then you adjust the top bolt with an 11/16" wrench until the tops of the shoes have the proper clearance. I just described what the manual calls a "major" brake adjustment.

A "minor" adjustment is when you just turn the top adjusters. All the backing plates are the same, so there is no difference from side to side. The easy way to do it is to jack up a wheel. Spin the tire and turn the top adjustor until you feel drag. Back it off just a hair and then to the other top adjustor. Repeat on the other side.

The only left and right that will matter is the left and right on the backing plate. Putting the box end of a wrench on the adjustor and having the open end horizontal and going away from the brakes toward the tire leaves you with up doing the same thing on both sides. however, one will be clock wise and one will be counter clock wise.

"Down" with the wrench on both sides will tighten the top of the brake shoes.

Any of this make sense?

Last edited:

2027Deuce

Yep, that makes sense and that was the answer I was looking for. One is clock wise and the other counter CW. IDK why that seemed odd at first. Thanks for the help.