• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Plate for my 803 and trailer

Triton

Wanted to get a license plate for my 803 that's mounted on a PU 798 trailer, after all the time and money I spent and for as little as I am going to tow this thing on the streets I would have been better just paying the ticket if I got pulled over. Lessons learned!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to get a license plate for my 803 that's mounted on a PU 798 trailer, after all the time and money I spent and for as little as I am going to tow this thing on the streets I would have been better just paying the ticket if I got pulled over. Lessons learned!
Everybody says Texas is easy to register MV's , must not be , but more details would be interesting.

We have it pretty easy here in Michigan , go to a rural office and it all can be done in about 20 minutes.
Take BOS, SF-97 and a certified weight slip (or data tag photo) pay sales tax and plate fees for trailers under 2,499 lbs
trailers 2,500 and over require a title ($20). Lifetime plates are reasonable .
Empty WeightPlate Fee
0 - 2,499 lbs.$75
2,500 - 9,999 lbs.$200
10,000 lbs. and over$300

Maybe you should move north.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure the issue you faced but here in the Banana republic a title, notarized bill of sale , Police vin verification form, and a bagful of $ are required. Our last governor was kind enough to enact that all Title transactions require $75 just for the title plus registration and plate fees plus 8-9% tax. A trailer registration can easily cost $150-$200.

BTW, all my trailers are registered in Maine. All done online with a credit card and a shiny perfectly legal plate shows up in a week. Upload bill of sale, no title required for 95 or older and 3000lbs.
https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/

csheath

HA! I towed boats with no tags for over ten years before I ever got pulled over for it. I got a couple of verbal warnings then I finally got cited. That cop only gave me a incorrect equipment type citation that just required me to get it fixed and send in a signed document stating it was done. This was the same thing you get for having a light out or something. Problem was if you didn't send in the signed document (subject to verification and perjury penalties) they would suspend your drivers license so the gig was up. Even if he would have written a penalty ticket the cost was only 60-80 bucks.

I think the generator on a trailer could probably pass for construction equipment which I think is exempt in FL.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother rode a MC for 40 years with no license. Last I heard, it was only a 25 buck ticket.
He isn't from michigan , I don't think any tickets are under $150 and the last governor did away with "fix-it tickets".
Back in 1980 when I got my cycle endorsement , it was 10 questions and a figure eight in the parking lot , now you have to take a class with a minimum amount of hours with a riding instructor with you.

Bmxenbrett

Here in NY you dont need to register a purpose trailer. Aka a generator, air compressor or light tower mounted on a trailer.

Triton

To get the plate I went to the county tax accessor, they had no idea what to do so they called Austin. So I had to drive into Houston (35miles) to the DMV wait in line for about 45 mins only to be told that the trailer needed to be inspected by the police to see if it was reported stolen, then I had to get it weighed, and then get it appraised. Went back to the DMV and waited another 45 mins or so in line so they could get a bonded title started. Then I had to get a surety bond from an insurance company for ($100.00). Then I could go back to the tax accessors office wait in line there for about 30 mins to get the plate, tag, and registration, $156.00 dollars later I had it. They said the tittle would come in the mail in three weeks, and next year it will cost $61.00 to renew the tag! Took me about 2 weeks to do all of this but it was durig the holidays! Fun, fun!

Guyfang

Staff member
He isn't from michigan , I don't think any tickets are under $150 and the last governor did away with "fix-it tickets".
Back in 1980 when I got my cycle endorsement , it was 10 questions and a figure eight in the parking lot , now you have to take a class with a minimum amount of hours with a riding instructor with you.

If I wrote what it takes to get one in Germany, you all would laugh me out of the forum. Be glad you live in Michigan.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get the plate I went to the county tax accessor, they had no idea what to do so they called Austin. So I had to drive into Houston (35miles) to the DMV wait in line for about 45 mins only to be told that the trailer needed to be inspected by the police to see if it was reported stolen, then I had to get it weighed, and then get it appraised. Went back to the DMV and waited another 45 mins or so in line so they could get a bonded title started. Then I had to get a surety bond from an insurance company for ($100.00). Then I could go back to the tax accessors office wait in line there for about 30 mins to get the plate, tag, and registration, $156.00 dollars later I had it. They said the tittle would come in the mail in three weeks, and next year it will cost $61.00 to renew the tag! Took me about 2 weeks to do all of this but it was durig the holidays! Fun, fun!
Did you have a SF-97 ?

If I wrote what it takes to get one in Germany, you all would laugh me out of the forum. Be glad you live in Michigan.
No it wouldn't surprise me , one of my old neighbors was stationed there in the 80's and his wife was from there . He had some interesting stories.

Kenny0

Here in Iowa if you have a piece of equipment that the main use is off road and it is permanently mounted on a trailer, it does not need to be licensed to go on the road. It's called "Special Mobile Equipment". A generator mounted to the front of a flat bed that could be used to haul other things would not qualify. If you strapped a canoe on top of the generator to take it to the river might be a problem or hauled some lumber home from the lumber yard might also be a problem. One good thing if it was licensed for the road would be that if it was stolen, it would be easier to track down the owner.

edit - I know other states also have "Special Mobile Equipment" exemptions. Just search your state and special mobile equipment.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks