• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

license plate location

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is a good spot to put a license plate and light on the back bumper of an M1028 without taking away the "look" of the truck". I'd like to keep the pintle hook. thanks

5tonpuller

Some states have a spot the want it to be. No matter what. Other wise I think next to the left tail lite would look good and easy to wire the plate lite. My $.05 worth.

ida34

Most states want it at least 12 inches above the ground. Other than that, just make sure it is clearly visible and securely attached in a horizontal position. By horizontal I mean that you need it level and turned on it's side or mouted diagonally.

Mine's centered at the moment (pintle's missing), but when I put the new pintle on, I'm going for left of center.

In my home state, there's an exemption from the lighted plate requirements for 'classic' cars that's worded such that I don't need one if it wasn't originally equipped with one. Since the military didn't order them with lighted plate holders.... I've only been stopped for it once, and the state cop was sympathetic. I think he wanted to see my M1009 up close more than he wanted to give me a ticket.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
NY state has a 'historical' plate. Vehicles have to be 25 years or older.There are restrictions. Looking at the form now they are,"...used for participation in club activities,exhibits,tours,parades,occasional transportation and similar uses ,but is not for general used for daily transportation."

Within the historical registration there is a provision for vintage plates. The plate can be anything, as long as the color is correct for the year of manufacture.For example you could use a 'taxi'' plate on a tractor trailer... The plate(s) cannot be repainted and any registration sticker must display a date that matches the year of manufacture.

My deuce and Stalwart both display vintage NY state 'Official" plates. The GTO has a standard 1970 car plate which NYDMV allowed before 25 years after a meeting with the DMV custom plate dept head (in Albany and because the car has 'historical significance' ).Each carries only a $20/year registration fee. They are all blue w/yellow letters and are often mistaken for Pa plates. The historical registration exempts all vehicles from emission control testing. The official plate has no provision for stickers so they are not required. Unlike regular plates they do not need to be turned if the insurance or registraton lapses.

These old 'Official' plates give both army vehicles an unusual, yet appropriate look. Maybe Pa has a program like NY. JimK

SuperchargedRS

I am going to make a bracket that will bolt up to the existing bolts for the inside of the tailgate,

that way the plate will be on the inside of the tailgate window, on the bottom area right side.

Michael

Here is what I did with my M1010. It uses a standard Peterson taillight which you can buy at walmart. It is easy to find a bracket which will mount under the light. I have bent it twice while backing up.

Attachments

Michael

I meant to add that you need to be sure you have a tag light. They are bad to stop everyone with out one around here.

Michael

I guess it should look good for $42.00. javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked I think I paid about $8.00 for what I got.