• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

license plate location

AJMBLAZER

As mentioned above it depends from state to state on where you have to put it and if you need it illuminated or not. As Armada shows Michigan isn't that picky as long as it's "visible"...you should see what some people do with temp tags...

Mine is screwed onto the driver's side of the tailgate. Only downside is that I always have to leave the tailgate up, even when I've got something long in the bed. Might find a better solution or might just leave it like this.
Michigan doesn't require lights for the plate unless the vehicle came new with them so I'm in the free and clear...

...sorta off topic but I recently saw a fairly crusty S10 Blazer with a flashlight duct taped to the trailer hitch...redneck license plate light...

ida34

I really hate to be a fun governor and I was not going to call Paul out but some bad information has begun to surface. Paul's plate display is not legal. It is not securely attached to the rear of the vehicle. Inside the window will not fly. I have attached a copy of the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code. Temp tags are exempt as they are intended to be attached to the rear window. If they are displayed inside a tinted window then they are in violation as they are not visible. The statement above about the plate light is not actually correct. The vehicle must be plated as a historical vehicle for the exception to work. None of the M1008 or m1009 series would be eligible yet for a historical plate so I hate to say, a light is required. That being said I still have to put a light on my cucv. The plate is bolted to the tailgate. I will have a plate light on the Deuce this weekend or next. If I got a ticket I would just take care of it because I am operating in violation of the law.

Paul,
Better not let me see you near the end of the month with that thing. :shock:

257.225 Registration plate; attachment to vehicle; legibility; color; distinctive registration
plates; name plate, insignia, or advertising device prohibited; violation as civil infraction.
Rendered Tuesday, August 09, 2005 Page 44 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 103 of 2005
Ó Legislative Council, State of Michigan Courtesy of www.legislature.mi.gov
Sec. 225. (1) A registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. Except
that a registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of that vehicle.
(2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for
which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of
not less than 12 inches from the ground, measured from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position which
is clearly visible. The plate shall be maintained free from foreign materials that obscure or partially obscure
the registration information, and in a clearly legible condition.
(3) A registration plate or the expiration tab on the registration plate shall be of a different color designated
by the secretary of state with a marked contrast between the color of the registration plate and the numerals or
letters on the plate. The secretary of state may provide a distinctive registration plate as a replacement for a
standard plate. To honor a special or historical event, the secretary of state may provide a commemorative
plate as a replacement for a standard plate.
(4) A person shall not attach a name plate, insignia, or advertising device to a motor vehicle registration
plate in a manner which obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
(5) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle which has a name plate, insignia, or advertising device
attached to a motor vehicle registration plate in a manner which obscures or partially obscures the registration
information.
(6) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;¾Am. 1978, Act 510, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979;¾Am. 1978, Act 548, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1978;
¾Am. 1980, Act 46, Imd. Eff. Mar. 19, 1980;¾Am. 1980, Act 476, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;¾Am. 1984, Act 132, Imd. Eff. June 1, 1984;¾
Am. 1995, Act 129, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1995.

257.686 Rear lamps; exemption; requirements for implement of husbandry; pickup camper.
Sec. 686. (1) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn in a train of
vehicles shall be equipped with at least 1 rear lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by
this act, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(2) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed so as to illuminate with a white
light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. A tail lamp
or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired so as
to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
(3) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the
vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements.
Rendered Tuesday, August 09, 2005 Page 210 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 103 of 2005
Ó Legislative Council, State of Michigan Courtesy of www.legislature.mi.gov
(4) When operated or moved on a highway at the times specified in section 684, an implement of
husbandry shall meet either of the following requirements:
(a) Display lighted rear lamps which meet the requirements of subsection (1).
(b) Be accompanied by a vehicle which follows behind the implement of husbandry at a distance of not
more than 50 feet, illuminates the implement of husbandry with the vehicle's headlights, and displays on the
rear of the vehicle lighted rear lamps as required by this section.
(5) A pickup camper shall be attached to the motor vehicle in a manner so that the registration plate of the
motor vehicle is clearly visible.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;¾Am. 1978, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1978;¾Am. 1987, Act 90, Imd. Eff. July 1,
1987;¾Am. 1990, Act 98, Eff. Jan. 1, 1991.

ida34

Northern cops are much more ticket happy than our lazy southern counterparts. I had to start working when I moved from Tennessee. :driver:

Armada

Not to bring more attention to myself from the fun governor :), but this one is mounted behind the window also, on the radio rack. I wasn't quite sure what the law was for placement, but now I know they are not correctly mounted. It's no excuse but I don't drive them much and 99% of the time it's during the day. It's one of those details I haven't worked out yet, so this is a good thread with great ideas. To be honest, I just have a REALLY hard time drilling holes into the tailgate or bumper.
Thanks for the heads up Chuck.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wished I could afford to take that one off your hands Paul. it's very nice! Now as far as the law there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. As Chuck pointed out, us southern PoPo are more inclinded to view the whole picture and use a little discretion as to the location and efforts put forth to display said tag. Think he referred to that as "Lazy." I call that the spirit of the law. Then you have the folks who have no soul and enforce the letter of the law. Chuck said "Better not let me see you near the end of the month with that thing." Towards the end of the month is crunch time on ticket quotas and even the most level headed police officer will stroke his mom a ticket if he needs the numbers. When quotas ore involved, discretion is not. With all that said we are still part of the same family and for the most part, just trying to do the right thing for the better of the communities we serve.

ojsdna744

ida34 said:
The statement above about the plate light is not actually correct. The vehicle must be plated as a historical vehicle for the exception to work. None of the M1008 or m1009 series would be eligible yet for a historical plate so I hate to say, a light is required.
I knew this also, that's why I went through the hassle for my plate mount. :roll: (Of course, my brother is in the same field as Chuck, so I have the law quoted @ me constantly!! You should have heard the fit he threw about my convoy light!! ) :roll:

How about you bolt your plate to the tailgates on the CUCVs and mount this up? It's a light from Saturn @ 7.50? :D
http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/lplatelight.htm

Michael

It may be more of a change in time than a change in place in regard to the number of tickets being written. The local law around here in rural Mississippi are pulling people over left and right for tag lights and anything else they can think of. Some get warnings some get tickets I guess depending on the mood and attitude of the parties involved. A friend of mine told me his wife got a speeding ticket for 57 in a 55 zone on a rural MS highway not too long ago.

Tag lights by themselves are easy to find. Even WalMart has one.

I have included the Mississippi code below for those who are interested:

One (1) license tag and up to two (2) license decals shall be furnished for all vehicles and shall be fastened immovably twelve (12) inches or more above the ground, at the rear of the vehicle under or over the rear light, with the number in upright position so that it will be plainly visible and legible at all times, and at night at a distance of sixty (60) feet. In the case of tractors or other motor vehicles drawing or pulling trailers, semitrailers or farm implements, the tag shall be fastened upon such vehicle twelve (12) inches or more above the ground, upon the front or back of such vehicle, with the number in an upright position. Such license plate, all characters and any legally affixed decals shall not be defaced, covered or obstructed from view by any object, decal, sticker, paint, marking or license plate bracket or holder. Any person who defaces, covers or obstructs any portion of a license tag with any sticker, decoration, paint, marking, license plate bracket or holder or any other thing or device, in such a manner that the characters and any legally affixed decals on the tag cannot be read, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not more than Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00). However, it shall not be unlawful for the county name to be partially or completely obstructed from view by any object, decal, sticker or license plate bracket or holder. Unless the license tag with current decals is fastened to the vehicle as herein provided, the said vehicle shall be regarded as operating without a license tag, and the owner or operator shall be liable for the penalties herein provided.

ida34

Kenny,
Now you know I have worked both sides of the fence. If things keep up the way they are I may have to run south again.

Paul's setup would not get a ticket from me but I might pull him over to check it out. I pull over anything with the plate improperly displaye in the back window. Read that a plate stuck on a rear decklid or wedged into a pickup back window. I could make an argument that his plate is securly attached and is on the rear of the vehicle. Most of the ones in the back window are not securely attached. No plate light would get him but this usually is not noticed until night time.

ida34

ojsdna744 said:
ida34 said:
The statement above about the plate light is not actually correct. The vehicle must be plated as a historical vehicle for the exception to work. None of the M1008 or m1009 series would be eligible yet for a historical plate so I hate to say, a light is required.
I knew this also, that's why I went through the hassle for my plate mount. :roll: (Of course, my brother is in the same field as Chuck, so I have the law quoted @ me constantly!! You should have heard the fit he threw about my convoy light!! ) :roll:

How about you bolt your plate to the tailgates on the CUCVs and mount this up? It's a light from Saturn @ 7.50? :D
http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/lplatelight.htm
I thought we had this all worked out. Did he see the something different in the law quote I sent you? I thought we found out that you won this bet?

disco

This is likely more effort than you want so this is mainly food for thought. I have a 1974 IH Scout II with a tailgate mounted license plate. The plate flips up on a hinge in case you have to drop the tailgate to carry something in the back.

I don't have a clue how you could mount it but thought I would throw it out there. It's lighted and the plate is visible with the tailgate up or down.

Forgive the lousy pics, heh-heh. Night photos of a license plate using the flash. :roll:

Attachments

Armada

Wished I could afford to take that one off your hands Paul. it's very nice!
Thanks Kenny! Wish you could too :)

Chuck, weren't you looking into getting the plate number painted on or something? I think it might have been for the dueces. What ever happened with that? It's a great idea for a historical vhicle, and I believe it is legal in some states.

ida34

I got the form letter written but have not went any further. I have been busy lately and it got put on the back burner. My first action would be sending the proposal letterto our state reps and senetors. Let me look it over and I will post is so we can send it to them. If I get a favorable response and they want me to I would draft up an amendment to the vehicle code for them. Thanks for reminding me. I have been fighting with SOS the last couple of days and really want to just blow the place up. I will try to post the letter tommarow or next week.

Chuck

ojsdna744

ida34 said:
I thought we had this all worked out. Did he see the something different in the law quote I sent you? I thought we found out that you won this bet?
Actually, the law quote you sent me clinched it the other way. Any flashing/blinking light is a no-go except for the exceptions. I'm still actively searching for a good set of convoy lights for my M35 however, I'm pretty sure I could argue my case in court. However, it appears it's illegal in MI. As stated above however, I'm not sure I'd have any trouble with the police if that was my only infraction. If I'm also doing 85mph in my deuce on the freeway, I'd probably have a problem then!! rofl

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
a magnetic dealer plate base would let you move plate around, or use it when you want, or avoid drilling holes....

As I pointed out B/4, NY state made an exception for the GTO. They and let me use a historical registration 3 years before it was eligible. I drove to Albany, 150 miles one way, and did it in person. It was a very pleasant experience,no lines, got to see their scrap book, avoided a 6+ week wait. JimK

ida34

ida34 said:
I got the form letter written but have not went any further. I have been busy lately and it got put on the back burner. My first action would be sending the proposal letterto our state reps and senetors. Let me look it over and I will post is so we can send it to them. If I get a favorable response and they want me to I would draft up an amendment to the vehicle code for them. Thanks for reminding me. I have been fighting with SOS the last couple of days and really want to just blow the place up. I will try to post the letter tommarow or next week.

Chuck
If I remember right, the way I read it you would be fine as you would be going slower than the normal traffic flow. If you were keeping up with traffic then a no no. You are not one of the name exemptions but I think there is enough gray area in there for you and as I think this thread shows, I would error on the side of caution. No pun intended.

m35a2cowner

Plate

Here in Ohio if you have a military vehicle and its tagged as a historical vehicle you can paint the number on the front and rear of the vehicle (contrasting color) and that serves as the plate. However, you have to keep the plates with you at all times. And its a real god idea to keep a copy of the statute with you as its not widely known to law enforcement. Also, if your not green enough with envy, historical plates (my jaw dropped when I went to pay for mine) are very cheap. I paid $11.50 for plates that are good for 50 years. Of course there are restrictions on how you can use the vehicle but right now I can live with them.

Here is a link to the Ohio Motorpool webpage that describes the permitting of Military vehicles. A real tip of the hat to them for such a valuable information resource.

http://www.ohiomotorpool.oldmv.com/feature.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks