• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License plate mounting?

M1123 Greg

Silly first question but I just got my registration and plate for my Humvee (M1123) and I’m not sure where I should mount it. The rear bumper is kinda nonexistent and not really an option. So that would leave: centered on the tailgate (don’t really like that) or mounted under the tail light on either side. If anyone has an opinion or share a pic of yours I’d appreciate it, thanks

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just used zip ties to get her going.

When it gets warmer I have a rear license light to install and front and rear license brackets to install.

Brackets are like 10 dollars on Amaz0n.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked an existing hole on the driver side under the tail light and used that. One was good enough.

It doesn't have a light, but that's not an issue during daylight and 99% of the time otherwise.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a cheap bracket/light combo and bolted it straight up under the back of the truck just inside the frame rail.

ea5613a027c5ea30133f804bf8a5cf807c445d30-1.jpg

c7c2f9b63841254c7823013dad306619abcc034c-22.jpg

it was this bracket. I had to drill 2 small holes in the bottom of the body cross piece (thick aluminum) but other than that plug and play.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

DREDnot

I put mine in the spot with the least amount of reasons not to put it there.

20201021_131208.jpg

20201227_152238aa.jpg

Or like this for airlift bumper guys...

20210209_101930crop.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a HMMWV, but I've had several MVs over the years, including a lot of trailers. I keep all of my tags mounted into magnetic holders. The tag is inserted into a rubber backed holder. A red plastic covered magnet is screwed to the back of the rubber holder. The plastic prevents scuffing the paint. This gives me the option of running with a tag or without. Normally where I live, I never put a tag on any of my MVs. When I drive to a big city, such as Atlanta, I put the tag on. The magnetic holders I use are designed for car dealers to use when the move their dealer tag between vehicles. The company I purchased mine from is now out of business, but the identical item can be found on Ebay for ~$20. Even driving on extremely rough terrain doesn't shake the tag holder loose. Obviously, magnetic holders make it easier for thieves to steal, but where I live that isn't a problem.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, you have no idea how lucky you are to be able to register and plate your HMMWV. Some states, like Michigan, make it impossible. However, other HMV’s can be titled and have plates. In fact we don’t have to mount the plate at all because these vehicles were not built with a mount. Some of us just carry the plate under the seat. Additionally, in Michigan if the vehicle is more than twenty five years old and you can find a plate that matches the year of your vehicle it can be registered as a historic vehicle and you never have to re-register it. I think Michigan is the weirdest state for HMV’s. Our local group worked very hard to get the HMMWV’s road legal. Got through the house, Senate, and Secretary of State. The bill was vetoed by our governor because she felt that HMMWV’s aren’t safe. You can register any classic car and drive around all you want but not an un-safe HMMWV. So ask yourself, would you rather be in a Corvair or HMMWV and get rear ended...

M1123 Greg

I don't have a HMMWV, but I've had several MVs over the years, including a lot of trailers. I keep all of my tags mounted into magnetic holders. The tag is inserted into a rubber backed holder. A red plastic covered magnet is screwed to the back of the rubber holder. The plastic prevents scuffing the paint. This gives me the option of running with a tag or without. Normally where I live, I never put a tag on any of my MVs. When I drive to a big city, such as Atlanta, I put the tag on. The magnetic holders I use are designed for car dealers to use when the move their dealer tag between vehicles. The company I purchased mine from is now out of business, but the identical item can be found on Ebay for ~$20. Even driving on extremely rough terrain doesn't shake the tag holder loose. Obviously, magnetic holders make it easier for thieves to steal, but where I live that isn't a problem.
Pretty sly, never would have thought of that

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks